Reaperbryan

Tagging or Name problems v2

29 posts in this topic

And pinned.

FUTURE POSTERS: Use this thread to tell us about errors or omissions in our Tags or inconstancies in our figure finder. We are always looking to improve the system to make it easier to use and work with, and your input is invaluable.

5 people like this

22 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/77321

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/77322

both of these have names for new minis, and pictures/tags for the stalagmites 

Basic edit has been completed, pictures removed, temporary tags added. More thorough tagging can be resolved later.

All have "cougar" and "puma" but not "mountain lion".

On 7/3/2017 at 8:41 AM, etherial said:

All have "cougar" and "puma" but not "mountain lion".

Tags added.

1 person likes this

Note: There is a typo in the front page announcement for July 3rd. D'Mona has a \ in it (D'\Mona). Link still works thou.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, haldir said:

Note: There is a typo in the front page announcement for July 3rd. D'Mona has a \ in it (D'\Mona). Link still works thou.

So there's this thing called sanitizing your data. It basically takes characters that have a special meaning inside the various programming languages and does something so that the language will treat them as text instead of as instructions. in this instance ' designates the beginning and end of a string, as in 'DMona'. If we enter 'D'Mona' now there's 3 apostrophes and the computer gets confused. so sanitization takes the mark inside the string and adds a slash, meaning "ignore the next character". 'D\'Mona' 

Normally, we run another filter on the sanitized data to remove the slashes, but sometimes we either don't, or for a variety of reasons, it doesn't work the way it should. 

If you want to know more, there's lots of interesting articles about SQL Injection and why when I first learned to code I sanitized everything three times (which was overkill) because of how dangerous unsanitized code is.

8 people like this

exploits_of_a_mom.png

8 people like this

I only got through the first sentence of Bryan's reply before thinking "I wonder if Bobby Drop Tables has been referenced yet".

Too late, of course.

3 people like this

That's exactly what I was thinking of, too.

But it is overkill to sanitize inputs when entered, again when written to the cookie, and again when the cookie is stored in the database.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

That's exactly what I was thinking of, too.

But it is overkill to sanitize inputs when entered, again when written to the cookie, and again when the cookie is stored in the database.

Don't you guys have a decent framework that takes care of that for you? Seems like almost every environment I code in anymore requires only minimal manual sanitizing.

1 person likes this