Reaperbryan

Tagging or Name problems v2

29 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

Don't you guys have a decent framework that takes care of that for you? Seems like almost every environment I code in anymore requires only minimal manual sanitizing.

This is wildly off topic, but I'll indulge. 

When I started here, I was a basic floor grunt, filing orders. Over the last 14 years, I've gradually moved through the departments, usually becoming supervisor or team lead before moving on to other departments where I could learn more about the business. In time, I was allowed to buy in as an owner, and took on ever more responsibility. One of the departments that was always needing help was IT. Kit needed a front end web developer who understood the business. One day we were talking about it and I mentioned that I had completed some certification courses in HTML, but not (other languages we use). He indicated that he wanted to see if I could do it, so he sent me to some training sites, and I picked up a few new languages.

Then he gave me a test. Write Reapercon dot com. From the ground up, no code existed yet. It took me 6 months, but the existing site is all me, and it was the first thing I ever wrote 3 years ago. I've learned a lot and gotten better, but I still have to deal with my legacy original code often, and I'm still learning. But that's why sanitization wasn't originally built in, I had to learn. I spent days on the zillion different inputs, and was sanitizing everything, even pre-defined fields. It was, looking back, hilarious. Since then I've incorporated some things to sanitize POST data without my intervention, (and eliminate GET data as sloppy), but even so because I'm paranoid about Little Bobby Drop Tables; I still sanitize all inputs and all writes to the database. Kit teases me about it but I figure the minuscule additional time in milliseconds it takes to do the operation is worth it for the peace of mind I have. 

10 people like this

On 7/13/2017 at 9:44 AM, Reaperbryan said:

This is wildly off topic, but I'll indulge. 

When I started here, I was a basic floor grunt, filing orders. Over the last 14 years, I've gradually moved through the departments, usually becoming supervisor or team lead before moving on to other departments where I could learn more about the business. In time, I was allowed to buy in as an owner, and took on ever more responsibility. One of the departments that was always needing help was IT. Kit needed a front end web developer who understood the business. One day we were talking about it and I mentioned that I had completed some certification courses in HTML, but not (other languages we use). He indicated that he wanted to see if I could do it, so he sent me to some training sites, and I picked up a few new languages.

Then he gave me a test. Write Reapercon dot com. From the ground up, no code existed yet. It took me 6 months, but the existing site is all me, and it was the first thing I ever wrote 3 years ago. I've learned a lot and gotten better, but I still have to deal with my legacy original code often, and I'm still learning. But that's why sanitization wasn't originally built in, I had to learn. I spent days on the zillion different inputs, and was sanitizing everything, even pre-defined fields. It was, looking back, hilarious. Since then I've incorporated some things to sanitize POST data without my intervention, (and eliminate GET data as sloppy), but even so because I'm paranoid about Little Bobby Drop Tables; I still sanitize all inputs and all writes to the database. Kit teases me about it but I figure the minuscule additional time in milliseconds it takes to do the operation is worth it for the peace of mind I have. 

You were allowed to buy in as an owner? That is so cool, I have even MORE respect for reaper now that they'd even allow that. Reaper sounds like a great place to work (and you sound like you enjoy it, so is it really work:) )

1 person likes this

50293 could use the "fat" tag, I was trying to find her again using that.

I noticed an interesting name on my recently purchased werefox. 

14591: Haindmaiden of Keskura - this is the same in the webstore and printed on the packaging.

Now 14579: Handmaiden of Keskura is a "handmaiden" and I assume that is what 14591 should be as well, but if anyone knows what a "haindmaiden" is feel free to reply and let me know.

Not to get totally narcissistic or anything, but I was going to look and see a couple old paint jobs of mine, and figured out I could search the store for my handle and my paint jobs would come up. But two of them didn't. Specifically, these two (for reference):
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/frost giant bones/sku-down/77107#detail/IG_3996_2

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/frost giant bones/sku-down/77106#detail/IG_3821_2

Is it a general algorithm that pulls the painter name or a tagging issue?

not a tag issue

1 person likes this

no, required for formatting reasons.