28 posts in this topic

I was impressed with some of the Homer Statues that have been shown on these forums not too long ago, so when I saw these figures in my local Dollar Tree I thought they too might be ideal fodder for a couple idols to the doughnut and beer god.

The figures easily popped of their bases, and then I glued them to some scraps of insulation foam cut into rough-hewn pedestal shapes, and then to some MDF bases.

My plan now is to paint the foam, and then spray on a little stone texture spray paint.

fullsizeoutput_1b50.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b5b.jpeg

13 people like this

D'OH!

1 person likes this

Are the pupils of the eyes just printed on?  You may want to drill them out, or put a bump of clay on them before you paint, so they're still there after you convert them to statuary.

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Are the pupils of the eyes just printed on?  You may want to drill them out, or put a bump of clay on them before you paint, so they're still there after you convert them to statuary.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll be sure to check before I spray them this afternoon.

3 people like this

Awesome!

1 person likes this

Thanks to Grumpy Cave Bear I  discovered the pupils were just painted on, so I drilled them out before giving the statues a coat of Krylon with Fusion Camouflage Ultra Flat Black spray paint after lunch today.   

Then, just now, I gave them a coat of stone texture spray paint.  I applied it a little heavier than I did to the snake woman idol,  in hopes I get a little more texturing than I did on that piece.

It did cover the pupil holes I drilled, but I should be able to clear those with a toothpick once the texture sets.

fullsizeoutput_1b5e.jpeg

11 people like this

Mmmmmm ... sacrilicious.

3 people like this

I love it.

You know it's your fault that I have to buy a spraycan of texture stoneworks right?

5 people like this

I'm not crazy about the poses, but Homer does looks much better all covered in the texture. GREAT IDEA/WORK! 

41 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

I love it.

You know it's your fault that I have to buy a spraycan of texture stoneworks right?

...you could just paint them with thinned tacky/white glue & cover with a layer of fine sand.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I'm not crazy about the poses, but Homer does looks much better all covered in the texture. GREAT IDEA/WORK! 

...you could just paint them with thinned tacky/white glue & cover with a layer of fine sand.

Thanks for the comments, malefactus!  Interestingly, the poses are one of things that  drew me to the figures for the purpose of being idols.  The first one with the ams raised, looked very "All shall kneel before my greatness!", in my eyes; and the second looked very,  "I present thee with the holy donut, circle of greatness. Worship it, and me!"  ::P:

Hmmm... your sand and glue idea sound interesting; I will have to try that at some point.  I think it might give a more uniform texture than the stone texture spray paint does so will be interesting to compare the methods.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
7 people like this

I reserve the right to be wrong...it's a specialty with me. Now that you mention it, the one with his arms raised does have a commanding presence. I think I was spoiled by the one perched on the donut. It was just a perfect idol miniature.

8 people like this

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I reserve the right to be wrong...it's a specialty with me. Now that you mention it, the one with his arms raised does have a commanding presence. I think I was spoiled by the one perched on the donut. It was just a perfect idol miniature.

Well, there's no arguing that the original Homer idol figure was the most perfect, as it was designed to be very Buddha-like.    These are merely inexpensive substitutes.  :)  

Today I was able to spray on the protective coat over the stone texture layer (this is one of the old two-part stone texture spray paint kits)  I then repainted the figures black with regular craft paint, and when that was dry, I gave them an initial drybrushing of Apple Barrel "Rock Grey".

fullsizeoutput_1b60.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b68.jpeg

14 people like this

That is quite a transformation. The Homers actually look statuesque. SPLENDID WORK!

3 people like this

Yes, They look much better than the previous "pigeon attack" versions, after the stone texture paint.  I see what you were going for with that first coat now!

2 people like this