Sign in to follow this  
Pillpeddler

77311: Large Water Elemental aka "the one that got away"

I don't know what mini your wife was looking at. This might be the fiercest looking water elemental I've seen. It's gonna beat the tar out of that starfish if it isn't careful. 

• Like 1

Looks cool!

I'll bet he ate the starfish when your wife wasn't looking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Hahahah.. . Thats how you vanquish evil!

Great mini too by the way! Is it translucent?

Yeah, its translucent blue Bonesium.  Poor photography skills and worse lighting do not show it well.

4 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I don't know what mini your wife was looking at. This might be the fiercest looking water elemental I've seen. It's gonna beat the tar out of that starfish if it isn't careful. 

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Looks cool!

I'll bet he ate the starfish when your wife wasn't looking.

The starfish is well guarded by the Displayer.  I'm gonna go with Confiscation and Display being a true form of appreciation of my Art.  ....and the colors matched lol

• Like 8

Uhh, he is pretty!

Care to elaborate how you painted him?

I have one laying around as well, but no idea if and how I'll paint it.

Thanks for looking, I had a dry brush-a-thon.   Mint green+a little white >  added some blue > finished with a touch of pure white.   I used more of the blue green mixture around the bottom half.  I tried to go easy on the dry brushing to preserve the translucent nature of the mini.  Hard to tell with the phone pics though.  It took about 20 or 30 minutes to do.  

Oh... then I hit it with gloss varnish.

I can get you the exact colors later if you wish.... In the salt mines atm

Edited by Pillpeddler
  • Like 5

Thanks! Drybrushing I can manage ^^ 

I don't know if the right colors would help, since I have a rather limited collection compared to most around here, but if it's no inconvenience to you, it wouldn't hurt to know them either.

7 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Thanks! Drybrushing I can manage ^^ 

I don't know if the right colors would help, since I have a rather limited collection compared to most around here, but if it's no inconvenience to you, it wouldn't hurt to know them either.

Applebarrel paints from Walmart for that one.

There is no Walmart where I'm from and therefor no Applebarrel paint either ^^ 

The drybrushing was the important bit of information I think, since it kinda looks like some sort of more complicated painting technique was applied.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nunae said:

There is no Walmart where I'm from and therefor no Applebarrel paint either ^^ 

The drybrushing was the important bit of information I think, since it kinda looks like some sort of more complicated painting technique was applied.

Nothing complex, i just dry brushed layers to get the effect I was looking for.   Went slow, touched up any areas that needed more attention as I progressed.  Finished with pure white.  If I didn't like the result I would have stripped it off and started over.   Its all about learning as you go.

And I have alot to learn  ; )

Ps... I thought Walmarts were even on the moon now lol

Edited by Pillpeddler
Kant spel
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2017 at 1:04 PM, Lorathorn said:

Do you find that the Appelbarrel brand works ok for minis work, or is it mostly useful for dry brush?

Sorry, I have been too busy to post (or paint).  

Like all other paints, Apple Barrel has some I like and some less so.  Are they, as a whole, as good as Reaper or Vallejo, no.  Some, however, are very good.  There is a dark gray, Pavement I think, that I reach for alot.  It makes a great base layer and I like it for starting black colors.  They are fairly inexpensive so I use them for bases, I painted an earth elemental exclusively with Apple Barrel paints and it looked great. Grab you a couple colors that look interesting and give them a whirl.

I'll try to post a pic pf the elemental.

To be fair, I only have the ability to paint to tabletop level.  Expert or even very experienced painters will have different needs and recommendations, i just use what works at my level (novice).  Just have fun.

Edited by Pillpeddler
  • Like 1