David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

791 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A Chinese pastry called wife cake or sweetheart cake can be either sweet or savoury. Flaky outside. 

IMG_8570-a.JPG

Edited by pcktlnt
15 people like this

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Thursday, April 6th

(This one is inspired by @Grumpy Cave Bear)

What is your favorite savory pastry?

Ohh, this question brings back memories.  Back nearly 10 years ago, there was a Taiwanese bakery in our area called The Freshman.  We were regular customers there until, sadly, the owner died suddenly, and his sister and brother-in-law decided to close the bakery instead of let it slowly fade away.

They had some really great savory pastries, including breakfast "pizza" bread:

bakery02.jpg

hot dog rolls:

20141001-chinese-bakeries-sweets-fay-da-

and onion bread:

dcd0e72f6f02f8066f4abc5f61d8be8c.jpg

Along with more standard mainland Chinese fare, like beef curry and barbecue pork pastries.  (Photos above are approximations.)  It was a strange, but pleasant mix of savory elements on slightly sweet breads.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a good (or any) specifically Taiwanese bakery in our area since.  There are a number of good Chinese bakeries, but Taiwanese pastries are a bit different from their mainland counterparts.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
15 people like this

Question for Friday, April 7th,

Today is National Beer Day. Do you drink beer (including root beers, ginger beers, etc.) and if you do, do you have a favorite, and if so, what is it?

9 people like this

9 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Today is National Beer Day. Do you drink beer (including root beers, ginger beers, etc.) and if you do, do you have a favorite, and if so, what is it?

Yes I drink beer.  I prefer dark beers (ales porters and stouts) and in general I will drink a Guinness if available.

8 people like this

On 4/6/2017 at 7:35 AM, David Brawley said:

Question for Thursday, April 6th

(This one is inspired by @Grumpy Cave Bear)

What is your favorite savory pastry?

22 hours ago, Gargs said:

Whichever one is in front of me at the moment.  

This.

4 people like this

I prefer Wine ( I'm a sophisticated Wolf!)

I can enjoy a light Radler Beer or Fruit Beer during summer.

Don't care for other beers. They don't go well with the cheese and nuts platter..

4 people like this

27 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Yes, I do.

(smart-elf answer): Whatever someone else is paying for.::D:

(non smart-elf answer): I'm kinda picky; as I might've mentioned elsewhere (most) American beer sucks. On the other hand, I can't think of any German beer that I've ever had and disliked. Franziskaner Weissbier is what's currently in my fridge.

6 people like this

35 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Yes.  Like Dilvish, I prefer stouts, porters, and ales.  I don't really have a particular favorite, as I tend to like variety.

8 people like this

46 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Yes.  I don't necessarily have one specific favorite.  I prefer stouts (milk, chocolate, plain, etc.) as well as witbiers.  Generally not a fan of IPAs though.  If there was one go-to, it would likely be Guinness but that's mainly due to a combination of stout and price.  Not necessarily my favorite, but the cost factor makes it the most frequent.

7 people like this

56 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

I do, and picking a favorite is hard. I've had 370 different beers, and according to Untapped, these are my top 5:

Sneak Attack farmhouse ale

Debutante biere de garde

Brother Thelonious Belgian strong dark ale

Jacobite Ale scotch ale/wee heavy

Innis & Gunn Rum Finish scotch export ale

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yes I drink beer.  I prefer dark beers (ales porters and stouts) and in general I will drink a Guinness if available.

Same answer, though if I have the option I'll take a mead or cider over beer.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

I've been known to have a beer or two on occasion.

My favorite style is dark lager, followed by porter and Altbier.  My absolute favorite beer is Pumpjack Porter from Horny Toad Brewing Company.  They're a very small brewery in a small town that only distributes as far as he can reasonably drive.  If you're ever in San Angelo or Ballinger, TX I highly recommend you try it.  I have dabbled in home brewing, but kind of backed off of that when I was working to lose weight last year.  I'm not averse to IPAs, but also don't go out of my way to drink them.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
7 people like this

Yes I drink beer...  hmmm, beer...  Favorites are definitely in the dark category.  Young's Double Chocolate Stout and an oatmeal stout from a local micro brewery are by far my most favoritist beers!

7 people like this

I do like a root beer now and again. Dad's & A&W are favorites.

8 people like this

yes, new holland: the poet. But I cannot currently get it, so I've mostly been drinking Brix city, because they are across the street from me.

4 people like this