Crowley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Friday, April -1st

Did this throw you off?

Do you have any tricks planned for tomorrow?

Actual trick, No.  Remembrance of past tricks, yes.

The first year my wife and I were married, she decided to wake me up the morning of 4/1 and tell me she wanted a "divorce".  I did not react well having been woken up to this.  I've not let her live it down.  That was 20 years ago.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Did this throw you off?

No.  Right before visiting here I had been on a Japanese server where it already was April 1.

No.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Did this throw you off?

Slighly.

No.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Did this throw you off?

Yes and no.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Did this throw you off?

I hate Friday the 13th. 

Did that throw you off? 

I have no tricks, other than the fish.  Poisson D'Avril FTW! 

• Like 4

Question for April Fool's Day (not fools related)

Given the losses that were shared yesterday, share a favorite memory you have (or more than one if you want) of an animal companion who made your life better. 

• Like 8

Given the losses that were shared yesterday, share a favorite memory you have (or more than one if you want) of an animal companion who made your life better. 

My first pet as a married man was Sherlock, a purebreed Yorkie that we got from my ex wife's parents...

I helped to deliver him, as my in laws had his dam bred...

I had grown up with large dogs all my life, and this little guy seemed like he was half cat....

It took some getting used to...

He was our "Little Boy" and he kept that nickname throughout his life, to the point that when our son was born, our son was the "Little Guy", and later "Guy" so that Sherlock wouldn't get confused....

He slept on the bed with us, under the blankets, snuggled in with one or the other of us....

We had to put him down the year after we moved into this house, as we boarded him when we went on vacation, and he got bitten by something at the boarders, a spider maybe, and he just started wasting away...

I held him in my lap when he died....

He is buried under a tree in our back yard with all of the other pets that have gone onwards....

The damn thing is way to full....

sherlock.thumb.jpg.38fb00e61c6d7cf7e9677184eea1e65d.jpg

Halloween, 2001....

Damn you David, you made me break down crying as I type this.....

Do you know how difficult it is to paint when you have tears in your eyes?????

I miss him still.....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

I was a bit weirded out by this question, because I had not read the randomness thread yesterday, but I had been talking to my co-worker about how many of my childhood pets met unfortunate accidental ends -- from our very smart cocker spaniel Molly, who learned to climb fences and shelves, and so managed to climb up to and eat the snail bait that was supposedly out of reach -- to the blue jay we rescued from a cat, whom we splinted the wing of, but which, when surrounded on the kitchen table by a half dozen children wanting to see it, squawked once loudly and literally fell over dead from fright -- and so I wondered how the Haminister of Truth had overheard my conversation.

My favorite pet was a black and white cat, whose name just escaped me at the moment (Edit: I remembered -- his name was Monty), that we adopted when he was a kitten and I was a teenager, when we lived in Medford, OR.  As he grew into a large tom, though, he'd get out and disappear for days at a time, then come back as though nothing had happened, We'd try to keep him in the house, but at some uncautious moment he'd slip out and be gone, until he'd return and continue from where he left off before.  And he'd always come back looking healthy and well-fed.  As the periods he'd be gone lengthened into weeks, we realized we were probably just one family of several that he had adopted and was cycling through, and kept a bowl for him for when he'd return.

There was one time, as I was going to college at SOSC in Ashland, OR (now SOU), he had been gone nearly a month.  I was on campus, walking up to the Math building on campus and he was there, waiting at the door, as if expecting me.  Understand, this was a distance of over 12 miles away from our home.  He was wearing an unfamiliar collar, but it was definitely him, right down to to the black spot on the right of his pink nose, and the crook at the tip of his tail.  He recognized me, I'm sure, because he came right up and meowed and rubbed my legs and let himself be petted like he always did for me.

"Sorry, old guy," I said.  "I'd take you home, but I've got class, and anyway, they wouldn't let me take pets on the bus back home."  Happy to see him, but sad I couldn't do anything about it, I left him there, thinking I wouldn't see him again.  I needn't have worried.  Two weeks later, he showed back at our doorstep and just let himself in, like he had never left.

Eventually, he did leave and not come back, but that was years later.  I like to think that he finally felt he was too old to roam, and settled down with the caretaker who fed him the best.  

Weird thing is, I think I remember that we had him neutered.  I would have thought that would have been something that would have curbed his roaming tom tendencies.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

My first cat, Morgoth, was a skinny black boy cat who loved my hair (probably more than my husband loves it). He loved to snuggle up into it and start pawing at it. The unfortunate side of this was that he'd end up clawing my head, so I didn't let him do it very much. He was so sweet :sniffle:

• Like 9

Not too long after I had been diagnosed with my genetic disorder, and accepting the news that my career was over and trying to digest all the horrible things that could medically happen to me because of my disorder (heart attack, stroke, uncontrolled gastric bleeding, etc.) I found myself sitting on the edge of my bed with a pistol in my hand and thinking to myself, "nope, not gonna happen to me. I'm gonna go out on my own terms. I won't be a Terry Shiavo." Then the puppy, who I had rescued a few months earlier, came in with his leash and nudged me, saying "let's go for a walk dad". I put down the gun and picked up the leash and we went for a walk. I owe him my life. RIP my Shadow.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, dwarvenranger said:

Not too long after I had been diagnosed with my genetic disorder, and accepting the news that my career was over and trying to digest all the horrible things that could medically happen to me because of my disorder (heart attack, stroke, uncontrolled gastric bleeding, etc.) I found myself sitting on the edge of my bed with a pistol in my hand and thinking to myself, "nope, not gonna happen to me. I'm gonna go out on my own terms. I won't be a Terry Shiavo." Then the puppy, who I had rescued a few months earlier, came in with his leash and nudged me, saying "let's go for a walk dad". I put down the gun and picked up the leash and we went for a walk. I owe him my life. RIP my Shadow.

Good Lord!

Glad the pup showed up in time!!!!

As for me I have owned several Boxer Dogs.

All were very dear to me, when it was their time, I stayed with them and petted them till they were gone.

( tears coming now...)

I loved them as much as a man can love his pets.

They were full of jokes and funny behaviour.

Odin once broke a vase with yellow flowers in it, he acted all innocent..who me? Never touched that vase...of couse his ears were covered in yellow pollen and that gave him away.

Balthar used to scare the living hell out of Jehovah Witnesses, house to house salesmen and such.

He was able to open the door on his own.

One day I heard some noices in the hallway.

It turned out some Jehova Witnesses walked up to the door, intented to ring the bell to convert me...then Balthar opened the door for them before they could ring the bell.

I found them desperately trying to shut the door while Balthar tried to get out.

I laughed and closed the door telling him he was a good boy.

They got the message,

My Brutus ( who lives with us now) broke a little eastern plant arrangement my girl made.

He acted like it had exploded on it's own and he really really didn't know where all the pieces went....*** Brps Hic***

He also like to play scrabble.

Here they are,

Odin ( R.I.P.) the Brown one.

Balthar ( R.I.P. the one in the blue shirt)

Brutus playing scrabble ( he cheats!)

PICT2584.JPG

09.JPG

20170320_190627.jpg

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 14

I'll try to come back and answer this at some point when there isn't anyone slicing up onions in my kitchen...

• Like 11

It's hard not to mourn the loss of a dog.

I had a rather large flatcoat named Sky. She was able to tell when someone who annoyed me was nearby, and would bear her teeth appropriately. one time, I was cycling with her, because good luck running as fast as her, She immediately ran to the side of the road pulling me off my bicycle. I got mad initially, but then a drunk driver flew around the corner in my neighbourhood at over 80k. I would have been hit for sure.

I had a bird dog, an english cocker spaniel who would bring back grouse, who I trained when I was dirt poor. Also a great dog. He would smack me with his paw when he felt ignored.

I suppose I should also mention that I had a good for almost nothing cat. He lived to the age of 18, and was a great mouser up until the week of his passing. He liked to leave my mom mice. And she lives on a mountain in the middle of nowhere. He used to bask in the sunlight of my mom's unnecessarily bright front window. When he passed, he left an un-removable 1:1 scale model of himself with hair in the carpet, which to this day I am not sure my mom has been able to vacuum the matted hair, but she ended up having to get three cats to replace him. Three. He scratched me through my clothes often. He always missed the litterbox, but he sure saved my mom a fortune in pest control.

Those are some good memories to share.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I have a thing for pit bulls.  They tend to be the most gentle, most kind dogs I know when raised by people who truly care for them.  My very first dog, whose name was "Stubby" was a pit bull.  I was very young at the time and I have some very fuzzy memories of this dog, but I do remember riding him as a horse.  We have a couple non-digital photos (no scanner here) of me with him.  He was incredibly loyal and never left our yard, even when our fenced in yard's gate was left open.  He wouldn't let me leave the yard, or let others in without my mother or father's permission.  Once they said you were okay, he was the happiest lap dog ever.  

I treat EVERY pit bull in the same manner as stubby, asking permission of the owner, and asking for their quirks before interacting, then I have a ball with most of them.  The ones that tell me they snap at people, I avoid both the dogs and the owners from that point forward, keeping an eye on them from a distance.  You learn a lot from simple behaviors. 

• Like 12