Most: super heat resistant flexible pancake flipper

Honorable mention: Metroishka nesting measuring cups

5 people like this

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Monday, April 10th

What is your least used kitchen gadget?

What is your most used kitchen gadget?

*gadget - a small mechanical or electronic device or tool

Least Used: Definitely the Corkscrew... we have friends that will occasionally bring wine for game nights.  It is convenient to have it for them when they invariably forget.  

Most Used: For my wife that would be the coffee maker.  For me that would be the array of Crockpots I have collected over the years.  Yes, I have multiples of three different sizes... well four if you count the free one that was included with one and is supposed to be for sauces, but I haven't used it yet.  I am going to count them as one unit, even though there are several, because to me it is a single tool that has different size options for what I need.  

6 people like this

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Well, least is either the microwave (which we eliminated from our kitchens around 1991 or so when one caught fire and melted our tempered glass turntable), or the thin waffle maker, which we pull out maybe once or twice a year to make ice cream cones and waffle bowls.

Most is, hmmm, probably the stand mixer, followed closely by the electric kettle, the poultry shears, the coffee press, the toaster, and the potato ricer.

We use hand tools (not gadgets) all the time:  wooden spoons, graters, chopsticks, etc.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

Chicken

Edited by Aryanun
8 people like this

On 4/8/2017 at 8:02 AM, David Brawley said:

Question for the weekend of April 8 + 9

What is the silliest way for people to duel that you can think of?

Examples: Full Contact Origami, Water Pistols at 8:35am, Competitive Miming. 

potato guns filled with whipped cream

3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

least used: I bought my wife an electric fondue pot at some point early in our marriage (our wedding was in '96) because she had spoken fondly of eating fondue while growing up.  We've used it once, yet have dragged that thing literally around the world.  The one time we used it was so long ago I don't even remember if I liked it or not (never had fondue before or after that point).  For non-powered non-mechanical items, there's this one thing in the "Drawer of Random Utensils and Tools" that I have no idea what it is, what it's used for, or even where it came from.  If I had to guess it came bundled with something else, but I have no idea what.  I keep it around because I think that someday I'm going encounter some particular problem and I'll have that moment of genius where I use that tool to effortlessly accomplish the task.  This will likely not happen.

most used: definitely the coffee maker, but since that is an essential life support system...not a mere gadget...I will go with my KitchenAid mixer.  

11 people like this

14 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

I say the french fry knife is a gadget. If that is, then wooden spoons also qualify. So there. ::P:

As you are not Quisitor of the Month and I am, you are overruled!

6 people like this

I consider it a gadget if it only has one use and could be supplanted by another tool.

Least used small gadget: pizza cutter

Least used small appliances: ice cream maker, waffle iron, bread machine, electric knife

Most used small gadget: bag clips 

Most used small appliance: vegetable steamer

6 people like this

8 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I consider it a gadget if it only has one use and could be supplanted by another tool.

I've heard those sorts of things referred to as "uni-taskers".

7 people like this

3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Least use:  Pizza Stone - those round ceramic plates that are meant to crisp up your crust more.  Was more trouble that it's worth because the pre-heating necessary doubled the time needed to cook the pizza, and didn't really live up to advertising.

Most Used:  Microwave.   Not any specific setting, but with three teenagers, everything needs to be ready in 60 seconds or less and leads to an endless parade of ramen, pizza rolls, corn dogs, and easy-mac. 

8 people like this

36 minutes ago, David Brawley said:
50 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

I say the french fry knife is a gadget. If that is, then wooden spoons also qualify. So there. ::P:

When the Haminister of Truth succumbs to the Dark Side... 

7 people like this

10 minutes ago, Grayfax said:
46 minutes ago, David Brawley said:
1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

When the Haminister of Truth succumbs to the Dark Side... 

They say I went mad with power.... Mad! :upside:Crazy, even!!

The fools do not understand I was already mad... :;,;:(which is why I agreed to be the Quisitor yet again...)

11 people like this

Wooden spoons move.  My mother was particularly fast with her's when I was young, IIRC...ouch.

14 people like this

Posted (edited)

You don't know it doesn't have moving parts. Would love to see a picture of the device (and alleged gadget) if you get a chance. 

@Sergeant_Crunch

a picture of your mystery device would be fun as well. 

Edited by TGP
Added request to Sgt C
6 people like this

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, hdclearman said:

Least use:  Pizza Stone - those round ceramic plates that are meant to crisp up your crust more.  Was more trouble that it's worth because the pre-heating necessary doubled the time needed to cook the pizza, and didn't really live up to advertising.

Most Used:  Microwave.  [...]

I saw a second use for a pizza stone just yesterday on America's Test Kitchen; they used it when roasting a turkey. It helped get the dark meat cooked better [?] so that inverting the turkey could be avoided. (Apparently the dark and light meat cook at different rates? I learn stuff when I watch that show. If I am ever desperate enough to attempt cooking to survive I am going to follow their procedures if at all possible.)

Edited by TGP
Finishing comment...
4 people like this

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

I saw a second use for a pizza stone just yesterday on America's Test Kitchen; they used it when roasting a turkey. It helped get the dark meat cooked better [?] so that inverting the turkey could be avoided. (Apparently the dark and light meat cook at different rates? I learn stuff when I watch that show. If I am ever desperate enough to attempt cooking to survive I am going to follow their procedures if at all possible.)

White meat cooks faster.  It's why there is often a problem with dried out white meat if the dark meat is adequately cooked.

My method of turkey roasting involves layers of butter-impregnated cheesecloth protecting the breast until the last hour or so.  Also lots of basting.

10 people like this