David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1068 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

He posted on Bookface that he was on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck.

So, I'll play the quizitor.

Question for Tuesday, April 1tth

What is the strangest item you've ever used to base a mini? (As scenery, the base part, or implement used to create something for the base.)

I'm not sure if it really counts but I use blank CD's pretty often to stabilize pre-made bases that are warped a little or just won't stand on their own with the mini on it. I don't really do any other type of basing yet, I'm still getting the hang of painting.

7 people like this

15 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Question for Tuesday, April 11th

What is the strangest item you've ever used to base a mini? (As scenery, the base part, or implement used to create something for the base.)

Ahhh... Bad Luck for Mr. Hamster!  I'm with Gargs on this... I have visions of advanced basing, but everything I have painted so far has had an integrated base.  I got my figures for something I am going to have to base though, but I doubt I will use anything super exotic.  Baby steps... give me a couple of years and I'll hopefully have gotten to doing odd things to bases.  I have one that I want to do... even woke up from a dream and drew it out.  If I attempted to hack it out currently, I could easily mess up over $100 of material... so I'm going to grow into that one.  I can still picture large parts of it in my mind, so we'll see how that goes... for ReaperCon 2020 or so...

7 people like this

49 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

What kind of trouble has our Haminister gotten into this morning?  He is very late with his question, which is very unlike himself.  Should we send out a Search and Rescue team?

*** WOOF pleads innocent, we didn't do anything to harm the Hamster***

I often use a mix of tea and dried herb as basing material.

Don't know if that qualifies as strange.

12 people like this

My own answer:

Actually used, the remains of clove cigarrettes. After I quit smoking, to remove temptation, I turned the tobacco into basing material.

I am currently using dryer lint to create a moss effect on a base for a mini.

17 people like this

33 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

He posted on Bookface that he was on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck.

Skittles. It was for a rainbow brush competition and I painted a purple worm with a rainbow blending pattern. The piece was titled "The rainbow tastes you!"

15 people like this

37 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Scrap scintillator crystals from PET detector modules.

10 people like this

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

Most used is the coffee maker that I brew my morning tea in...

Least used waffle iron...

DEFILER!! HERETIC!!

41 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Auto glass from a very... consequential/pivotal car accident.

13 people like this

1 minute ago, David Brawley said:

DEFILER!! HERETIC!!

You're back! Hope everything is okay.

8 people like this

18 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

I often use a mix of tea and dried herb as basing material.

Don't know if that qualifies as strange.

It was considered weird when I started using it ~20 years ago.  Also pulled sponges apart to make turf. Cat litter.  Actual trash... dirty newspaper, peeled dried paint, bent pins....

Almost anything is going to sound weird to someone not in the hobby. To miniaturists and railroad people and dollhouse builders it just cool and creative. 

16 people like this

49 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

Plastic drinking straw & Bright Blue craft sand.

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

It's hard for me to define anything used as a basing material as strange.  Because with the scale differences, everything I've ever used to make a base is meant to represent something else.

But I'll go with one of the newer additions, dried Tone's Oregano.  Makes a nice light-olive green leafy covering.

9 people like this

We don't have (m)any kitchen gadgets. We have appliances and utensils. I guess.... our manual can opener?

46 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

DEFILER!! HERETIC!!

Oh, that reminds me that I picked some up in a parking lot last year for basing and never did anything with it. I was fascinated how it broke into little cubes.

10 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

By the time I get to the basing I'm ready to be done with the figure. As a result, my basing is pretty mundane.

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

I missed the MOST USED part of the question. My coffee maker is the numero uno appliance for me. Life without coffee is not worth living.

That's why I classed my coffee maker as Life Support instead of as a gadget.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
11 people like this

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I cut off the aluminium bottom section of a tub of instant mashed potato to make a base for this:

Spoiler

garden-m.jpg.258732436661501a23faa85c190ee075.jpggarden-o.jpg.31d53aafbc9a84e7bf35de4f81d57542.jpggarden-k.jpg.22e1dcc9c461f173f00739198518ec14.jpg

16 people like this

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

A translucent green base from the swag bag for my Mind Eater, that's as crazy as I've gotten. Though I did acquire a dead branch from the neighbour for the log. I have picked up a couple of rocks that would be appropriate for a nice base, once I figure out which mini to use for them.

3 hours ago, Grayfax said:

/bows down

"I'm not worthy"

This one took me a solid hour of searching with every variation of the words you found in order to find this flumphing thing. Apparently my superpower is stubbornness. :lol:

10 people like this