David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1068 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Thursday, April 13th

What was the Best birthday gift you ever received?

What about the best you ever gave?

Best received:

So, Darkmeer has a son.  This son was a very sick child, and, 2 days before he turned three, he was diagnosed with Leukemia.  At the time his younger brother was 3 weeks old.  So, on March 31, Grey went into the hospital, with no guarantees of coming out (I read the charts and have worked in medical records, there were no guarantees).  We spent the month in the hospital, up until April 28, when our Doc told us we could come home.  That was my birthday present.  I got to take my very sick boy home.  Never mind that, in hindsight, we ended up back in the hospital 5 days later, but we got to take him home.  It was a bit of much needed healing on all our parts.

Best given...  I'm horrible, but I make an effort.  My wife likes the horror-romance genre.  I never get the authors right but one year I got the author, series, AND the books in order right.  I think that counts. 

11 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

Best I ever gave and received are one and the same.

I'll be receiving my gift to myself about a month early when I attend ReaperCon, no kids or anyone else in tow. Just me with my favorite people. <3

14 people like this

It's been so long since I got anything for my birthday, I don't know.  For  a very long while, money was an issue so I tried to de emphasize my birthday so that we'd have cash to get the kids things they wanted/needed. 

As as for he best I've given; that's hard to say. I know those for whom I buy gifts pretty well, so I haven't given very many duds.

7 people like this

Before we started even dating my I'd told my husband that I'd always wanted a pocket watch. So of course I forgot about that conversation immediately but the first birthday of mine we spent as a couple he had bought me a pocket watch. I then went on to buy a vest to use said watch in but stupid women's clothes and not having real pockets ruined that idea.

The best gift I've ever given isn't a birthday gift but probably just in general. My mom is a HUGE Doctor Who fan (I'm named after a character after all) so my sibling and I spend the better part of 2 days building a smallish replica of a TARDIS out of clay, which ended up looking like something out of a Tim Burton film more than and actual TARDIS. But she loved it anyways, she's still got it sitting on her bookshelf in her bedroom which is a testament to that.

11 people like this

3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Mostly I have received cash and gift cards for my birthday... which is why I'm reluctant to do that for others.  There probably was one somewhere back in there where I was excited, but my birthday falls on Mother's Day very frequently (and in college I seemed to always have my last final on my birthday... every year...).

The best thing I ever gave anyone else on their birthday was in July of 1994.  I made supper for her (baked fish, and probably baked potato and salad... I mostly remember the fish pan fried in butter... it was very very good).  I sent her off on a scavenger hunt around the student center where we met, and where I was living at the time (I was paid 20 hours a week for opening/closing and doing odd jobs there and running errands when needed).  Supper was ready by the time she got finished collecting her items... mostly I was with her, but had to check the fish regularly.  I then served it out on a table on the veranda, knelt down by her, held her hand and prayed for the food.  I had the hardest time getting the ring out of my boot to have it open when she opened her eyes.   She still makes me happy and I get to make her laugh... every day...

10 people like this

Best: My girl always gives me great gifts, things like the latest Motörhead CD, A DVD series like GOT or resin miniatures like treasure and stuff.

Best Given: To my girl, a nice vintage looking clock she wanted.

6 people like this

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Hrrmmm, birthdays have never really been all that big a deal in my family.  Not to say that we didn't get gifts, because we did/do, just hard to pinpoint anything that was particularly awesome.  This is largely because we tended to go a lot bigger for Christmas (and all my family growing up had birthdays within two months of Christmas -- as does most of my wife's family come to think of it, with only my mil being the oddball).  So its really hard for me to really pick one out.  That said, I can't think of a particularly bad birthday gift that I ever received.

As for best I ever gave, probably the great dane puppy I gave my wife (who happens to have been born on December 24th -- 75 years to the day after my grandfather was born).  But honestly, to be fair, I also can't say that I give really awesome birthday gifts either.

5 people like this

No idea. My brain is useless for remembering specifics like that. (I can't assemble a mental list of birthday presents...I could pick up something like a book and that might trigger a memory that it was a present, but then I'll be stuck trying to decide if it was Xmas or birthday...)

The recipient asploded with joy. Bounced so high the ceiling was in danger...

It was A $3 dollar Disney poster of Princess Ariel the Mermaid. (I wonder if those are about $9 now...)

My niece was 3.

7 people like this

Also given but not Birthday (Christmas):

I was dirt poor, barely earning above minimum wage, and on salary. I was recently separated from my first husband and driving a POS car (Subaru Justy - three cylinder thing someone had repainted a very bright turquoise color). I bring up the car because it was a piece of crap and always needing something done. I worked in a photolab, so most of my presents (to the adults, at least) were pictures I thought they'd like. My dad, a big fisherman, got a picture of a whole bunch of striped bass I had caught off the Colorado Arroyo.

Anyway, I was doing a lot of pastel painting at the time and decided to do something for my mom. She loves elephants, so that's what I did. We didn't get it framed until years later.

Most of the picture was done sitting in a garage waiting on my car to be fixed.

elephant_by_kheprera.jpg.aab8cd8aad8cc01930756499cd81e8e7.jpg

8 people like this

I am horrible at gifts, both giving and receiving.  Horrible is also a generous term.  In my youth, I've had been downright disrespectful at times, and embarrassed to say so.  After 20 years of marriage and three kids, I'm better, but I set the bar low and anything I do is a step up.

7 people like this

7 hours ago, David Brawley said:

In my marriage, my wife and I have a habit of self-selecting our presents.  We order something ahead of the date and say, "This is going to be my birthday present/Christmas present!"  It usually works out, as I'm a good predictor of what I'd like, and she's the same.

For the kids, they tell us what they want, and we give it to them on their birthday.  It's the only feasible way, because my wife spills secrets faster than a Russian defector.

9 people like this

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

In my marriage, my wife and I have a habit of self-selecting our presents.  We order something ahead of the date and say, "This is going to be my birthday present/Christmas present!"  It usually works out, as I'm a good predictor of what I'd like, and she's the same.

For the kids, they tell us what they want, and we give it to them on their birthday.  It's the only feasible way, because my wife spills secrets faster than a Russian defector.

This is truth, and my wife and I use this method as well.  In fact, I buy myself 5-8 birthday present every year.

6 people like this

7 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I'm to the point now where I tell people not to get me anything for my birthday.  I don't need, or particularly want, more stuff.  That said, one of my ex-wives was pretty good about organizing our families to get me one awesome birthday or Christmas gift from the group of them.  One year she got me and her a helicopter tour of Hoover Dam and part of the Grand Canyon, for when we were in Vegas for my sister's wedding, and another year she got me a 14" Grizzly band saw for my wood shop.

The best gift is a harder question to answer without devolving into humblebrag BS.  Besides, the best gift is determined by the recipient, not the giver.

6 people like this

8 hours ago, David Brawley said:

It's hard for me to remember the last time I've ever received a meaningful birthday gift...........

However, I gave the best present ever: me. I proposed to my wife the day before her birthday, so that was her spiffy gift.::D:

7 people like this

Actually, I'd like to revise my answer.  I left active duty on my 38th birthday.  My Dad bought a Ruger all-weather Mini-14 for me when he came down for the retirement/birthday party.  I may not have been jump-up-and-down over it, but I do really like it.

8 people like this