David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1068 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Thursday, April 13th

What was the Best birthday gift you ever received?

What about the best you ever gave?

I got Mrs Meh for my birthday five years ago in July. Well, not technically. I guess I should explain. This might get long.

We met on eHarmony early in July of 2012. If you've never been on a dating website, here's the gist of it: at the start of it, you take a personality test and fill out your likes and dislikes then you create a profile with some pictures to fool catch the eye of potential matches. She had just gotten back on the website after seeing some dud (not a typo) so she hadn't rewritten her profile or spent the money to get re-verified that she was who she said she was. Her information was a simple "I've just gotten back on the website so this isn't filled out yet". I looked at her pictures (there were three or four) and sent her some pre-made questions asking about things she liked and kicked-off what would become the best thing I've ever done.

We answered the pre-made questions, chatted a while over the email system eHarmony provides, and then, however it happened, I scored her phone number. Without skipping a beat, I called her up and continued the conversation we were having over messages - didn't even really say hello or anything like that. Yeah. I'm a smooth operator. Sorry, ladies - I'm already taken :B):.

Mrs Meh and I had our first date a few days later on July 13th, my grandmother's birthday. You see, she lived two hours away from me and, at one point, she thought that might be too far for a relationship to work. I casually told her that I was in the Dallas Metroplex area twice or more times a month on business. That business happened to be the hobby - Warhammer 40,000 and Fantasy, to be exact - and I went to the Grapevine Mills store a lot but not twice a month. She knew I was lying, though, which is funny because I can bluff a gorilla into submission. (Not really stretching the truth too much there given my job history.)

Anyway, things were going great and every date was a smash. I happened to have some time off at work - which I was forced to take - and was planning on taking the train to Chicago to go to Games Day for my birthday. Instead, I returned the train ticket and spent the birthday with my lovely then-girlfriend in the Metroplex area. That was when I knew we had to get married. Well, I knew before then - the moment I met her, actually - but July 31st of 2012 cemented it. We were actually married in mid-September of the same year but I count it as my birthday present.

Oh yeah - I forgot: the money that was saved for Games Day in Chicago bought me her engagement ring and wedding ring. The marriage license didn't cost much and I sold a co-worker a gun for our honeymoon. All told, I'm glad we eloped :lol:!

As for the best gift given... probably some jewelry I bought for my mother for one of her birthdays years ago. She still has it and talks about it so I guess I did well.

7 people like this

16 hours ago, David Brawley said:

The best b-day gift I ever received was from a very dear friend. He made a b-day card which I had never seen before, it used a thick construction paper and all the words and image was sewn on in string. It ranks up in the top 3 things I have ever received regardless of occasion since it was one of the most heartfelt and unique things I have been given. The time and the dedication to the craft was inspiring to my young mind, to the point that when I first read the question that card was the first thing to come to my mind. It stuck with me because of the emotional impact.

As for given? It's hard to say as the giver which is the best; however, one does stand out to me. When I was a teenager and first started making jewelry I lacked many tools and materials, but I had some. My mothers birthday was rolling around and I decided the 2nd thing I wanted to make was a necklace for her. scrapped up what I had and chose from them 3 random colored anodized aluminum rings (not the best color match, buuut they worked) I made a byzantine weaved necklace for her that even today, years later, she occasionally wears to work paired up with a business casual summer outfits. In fact she might even wear it again for Easter this year with her spring dress. So, I don't know what would be the best gift, but from my perspective a gift thats still actively in use after a decade is a pretty good gift.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

The best gift I ever gave was a pair of pearl stud earrings I gave to my mom for her birthday when I was 15....

They were $25 from the Sharper Image catalogue, which tells you how old I am....:;,;:

(I had an under-the-table job as a bus boy at 15.....)

The best I ever got,,,,,

well atm I must say my airbrush spray booth...

still on my desk, and still in use....

I am sure that there was a 'best gift' at every occasion for getting gifts though....

Edited by knarthex
6 people like this

18 hours ago, David Brawley said:

<---- My brother gave me the skull for my birthday years ago....

The best gift I've ever given...

There was a lady in the Rocky Horror scene who went by the name of Q... She was, to put it mildly, somewhat obsessed with Richard O'Brien (She ran his website for awhile). O'Brien wrote a show starring a character known as Mephistopheles Smith, and Q had her own Meph Smith costume (the pic is from the EC 2000 con in Allentown).

Since I'd already made a couple of Rocky Horror-themed teddy bears for people over the years, I bought a teddy bear and some materials and made a perfect miniature version of her Meph Smith costume for the bear - and even used latex to give it a bald head, horns and a tail. ::D:

7 people like this

My brother got me a kitchen aid mixer one year. The pretty cobalt blue one.

And he's arranged for me to get red iPods on two other birthdays.

I've gotten lots of great gifts, those are just a few that stick out.

I've been thinking all day about this and presents given don't stick out in my mind. Christmas presents, yeah, but birthday presents not so much.

6 people like this

Wed April 12:

The recent incident of being used as a parking space.

Thurs April 13:

Best received gift would probably be Heroquest . It and Battlemasters were my gateway drug into mini painting.

Best given gift...probably the Epic Easter Birthday Basket for Elven Coworker. She wasn't expecting it and it did a great deal to mitigate the warpstorm of b.s. that our workplace has become these last two months.

5 people like this

Question for Friday, April 14th

Any thoughts on self-driving cars?

5 people like this

1 minute ago, David Brawley said:

Like drones self driving cars are defeating the purpose. Driving is a liberating experience that should not be surrendered to a machine.

6 people like this

15 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Do not trust.

Why?

There's a computer in there to do all the driving, right?

Computers can (and do, all the time) get hacked.

I'd rather not have my car driven off a cliff, into a train, or whatever else just so that some elfhole can get his kicks.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Wed April 12:

The recent incident of being used as a parking space.

Thurs April 13:

Best received gift would probably be Heroquest . It and Battlemasters were my gateway drug into mini painting.

Best given gift...probably the Epic Easter Birthday Basket for Elven Coworker. She wasn't expecting it and it did a great deal to mitigate the warpstorm of b.s. that our workplace has become these last two months.

Heroquest was such a gateway product both the the miniatures hobby and RPGs....

21 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

A someone who has spent the last 7 years driving 3 hours a day getting to and from work, I love the idea of autonomous cars! Even semi-autonomous (where it only drives itself on main roads or something) would have been wonderful. I think the potential benefits far outweigh the potential downsides, and based on how the car industry seems to be gearing up, I'm pretty sure it's going to be an inevitable changeover. 

7 people like this

Too early to tell

5 people like this

Self driving cars . . . .

I understand that computers can have better safety records than humans.  And I appreciate that such features can be added to vehicles.

However, the "internet of things" is a great big danger.  The software isn't allowed to be modified by me for better security, or more efficient use of the vehicle.  I, as the end user, can't access the software, even though I rely on it to work properly.  Furthermore, all that technology means you're always connected to the web, so you get tracked everywhere you go.  Advertisers already do that on your computer.  This gives them the opportunity to tailor billboards to your "interests."  Going to the store?  Hey, there's an ad for Kroger up ahead that let's you know bananas are on sale.  No, thanks.  (Note that this applies to lots more than just cars.  Smart-phones, smart-thermostats, smart-refrigerators . . . all the same problem.)

Add on to this that I have an aversion to "experts" telling me how to do what I want to do.  Want to go to the store?  Well, our self driving vehicle will take you there along the preprogrammed route.  No, you can't go down that street.  You can't go faster.  You go where we tell you to go.  It's a short hop from that to "No, you have exceeded your mileage for the month, so you must pay an extra 25 cents per mile as a useage fee." 

Finally, what happens when (not if) the computer malfunctions and an accident ensues.  Studies already show that if you take drivers out of control of their vehicles, their minds wander or they are much more likely to fall asleep.  So any override feature is useless.  For maximum safety, the driver must remain in command of the vehicle and any computer system acts as an auxillary to the driver's ability

10 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

The possibility for catastrophic failure is higher than I am comfortable with. 

As is the likelihood of sabotage. 

6 people like this

I look forward to true self-driving cars.  I will be disappointed if it only ever exists as a supplement to a driver's ability, because I want to be able to take a nap during the 3 hour drive to Miami.  As far as hackers and computer errors killing people, I don't see that as a whole lot different from impaired or inept drivers.  I'll take 10 thousand murders over 30 thousand "accidental" killings. 

I also look forward to self-driving fleets putting millions of drivers out of work.  Simply because that may be a large enough and sudden enough system shock to force us to rethink the relationship between work and basic survival.

10 people like this

The problem I have with self driving cars is that I fear they won't really work until everyone has a self-driving car.  Mainly because the self-driving car will be too good of a driver by comparison and will be unable to predict the stupidity with which so many people drive.  That said, I'd love to be able to just read a book or take a nap during my daily commute.

8 people like this