David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

868 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Questions for the weekend of April 15th and 16th

What is your favorite game? Why is it your favorite game? And when was the last time you played?

Minecraft. Exploration, building, modding. It's everything from fantasy rpg to space exploration. Played a bit before lunch today, working on building some automation into my farm after setting up my first reactor last night before bed. Once that's set up, I'll need to crank out some more drives for my storage array (to hold all the new stuff from the farm's output). Then I'll be ready to start building my armor set so I can fight the next dragon...or maybe just take some time exploring some alternate dimensions. Or start building my spaceport and space station.

For board games, Kingdom Death: Monster. Challenging, diverse, amazing atmosphere and minis.

8 people like this

5 hours ago, David Brawley said:

What is your favorite game? Why is it your favorite game? And when was the last time you played?

I don't think I can really pick a favorite. I love most games. I do tend to lean towards co-op games because both husband and I are sore losers but we're working on that. I play mostly video games but we have tons of board games (~100 or so(many, many more if you count expansions, promo cards, etc.)) and RPG's as well. 

Lately I've been playing a lot of Fallout Shelter on Steam. I last played that today. It's a good time killer but by no means my favorite game. I do quite enjoy the Fallout games though. They would be a good contender for favorite video games.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

1. Any method of teleportation that involves tearing me apart on the molecular level... or ANY level... is unacceptable. I won't do it. I'll eat replicated food, but I'm durned if I will use a Star Trek transporter. Someone let me know when they invent Larry Niven transfer booths.

2. Any form of transport that isn't operated by a reasonably coherent human makes me suspicious. There are any number of humans I don't think should be licensed to drive, and while Commander Data and the B-5 Robot seemed smart enough, we ain't there yet. Any machine we can make in my foreseeable future is going to be fallible as hell... and very likely programmed to see the big picture.

I don't WANT it to see the big picture. When I drive around with my spouse at the wheel, it is in the smug assurance that if the Moment Of Truth presents itself, she will do her durndest to keep the vehicle in which I am riding as undamaged as possible, as well as its occupants. I TRUST her to do this. I KNOW her. And while I didn't personally meet the pilots of every plane I ever took, guys like Sully Sullenberger give me hope that in every airplane, there is a shining paragon of aeronautical expertry that will go to any lengths to get me safely down to earth, as opposed to another yutz like the one on yesterday's commute who couldn't stay off his dratted phone and kept drifting into my lane, and then giving me a dirty look when I honked at him.

Most assuredly, I don't want to find myself in a situation where, in order to keep from rearending the car ahead, my car slams on the brakes and is rearended from behind, and I scream, futilely, "WHY THE &%$#@ DIDN'T YOU SWERVE INTO THE LEFT LANE, YOU WRETCHED MACHINE? THERE'S NO TRAFFIC THERE!" And don't even get me started on the situation where the car decides that by sacrificing itself (and me), it can save a busload of orphans that only it can see. I'm not a man who would plow through a horde of kindergartners if I thought it would slow me down enough to avoid ramming the brick wall; hell, I swerve to avoid squirrels, kitties, puppies, and drunks. But I'm durned if I will ever feel comfortable with a machine making that decision for me.

3. Favorite game:

What:

Computer Single Player: Dungeon Keeper II

Computer MMO: Left 4 Dead I and II

Tabletop RPG: 2nd ed. D&D

Boardgame: Civilization

Why:

Dungeon Keeper II: It's just so durn funny. And it never seems to get old. Regrettably, it won't work on my current system; I have to break out the old laptop when I wanna revisit it.

Left 4 Dead: Every kid's postapocalyptic zombie nightmare, albeit with some moments you're going to need teamwork to survive... haven't played it in a couple of years, though.

2nd Ed. D&D: Nostalgia, mainly. A relic of a more civilized time, before expansions and splatbooks became the ever-expanding norm. 2nd Ed. did indeed become a bloated and cancerous thing with a library of splatbooks and contradictory rules and loopholes that would scare a team of corporate lawyers, but when I first saw it, it was as a veteran of AD&D, and it was a shining new thing, cleaned up and sharpened, with improved art. And that's how I remember it...

Civilization: Ancient Avalon Hill board game where you start with a tribe of Flintstones and work your way up to about the birth of Christ; whoever gets there first, or has the richest civilization, wins. Favors trade strategy and smart expansion over flat out warfare. Played the hell out of it in college. Haven't played in decades, although I still have the bookshelf edition and expansion set.

Honorable mention for Minecraft and Unreal Tournament, as these two games will run on ANY durn system, it seems like, and every day, I get to see and modify the lessons kids learn from Minecraft... it's educational.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
8 people like this

7 hours ago, David Brawley said:

D&D. Because of the story, character interactions, and character development. Last Saturday.

6 people like this

8 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I've enjoyed most of RPGs that I have tried over the years.  D&D (All versions), Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Twilight 2000, Vampire., the list goes on.  D&D would be the old reliable, having returned to it after each experimentation.  

I enjoy RPGs because of the combined cooperative and competitive nature.  You get a good mix of both.

Sadly, I haven't played any RPGs in several years.  I never bothered to seek out a new group after I moved.  I also enjoy the zen I can find when I'm deep into painting, so I haven't really missed it.

6 people like this

9 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I would be hard pressed to say that I have a favorite game.  With video games I complete the story and then move on.  RPGs that I really enjoyed will sometimes get revisited, but there are always games waiting in the queue that I haven't tried yet.  While I've touched MMOs, they just appear to be way too much of a time sink for me to ever want to participate fully.

For tabletop games I'm not really system specific; it's far more about the people you play with.  I enjoyed 2E in the 90s, 3E in the 00s, 4E in the late 00s, 13th Age in the mid 00s, with other systems mixed in as well.  If I ever played 5E with the right people I'm sure I'd enjoy it too. 

With the wrong group I'd like none of the above.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Dungeon Keeper II: It's just so durn funny. And it never seems to get old. Regrettably, it won't work on my current system; I have to break out the old laptop when I wanna revisit it.

Have you checked the version from gog.com? Looks like it's been tweaked to run on modern systems, that's kinda their gig. And currently on sale...

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Minecraft. Exploration, building, modding. It's everything from fantasy rpg to space exploration. Played a bit before lunch today, working on building some automation into my farm after setting up my first reactor last night before bed. Once that's set up, I'll need to crank out some more drives for my storage array (to hold all the new stuff from the farm's output). Then I'll be ready to start building my armor set so I can fight the next dragon...or maybe just take some time exploring some alternate dimensions. Or start building my spaceport and space station.

For board games, Kingdom Death: Monster. Challenging, diverse, amazing atmosphere and minis.

Minecraft is not a game.  It is a lifestyle:

IMG_4330.thumb.PNG.6d18aa19b3623c34fee7b85ff283dbd2.PNG

IMG_4326.thumb.PNG.0c2c56d2fc20623039d7b528452e7994.PNG

IMG_4334.thumb.PNG.10bf4bf448b56fc3d314a80e613c53a3.PNG

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Smaller images
8 people like this

9 hours ago, David Brawley said:

My favorite video game is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Why: There's so much to see & do. It's unreasonably huge with more interesting things to explore than any other PC game I know. I played it off and on for about 10 years and never stopped finding new content.

Last Played: I stopped when Skyrim came out, which is my next favorite game, although I did play it again for a bit about 3 years ago.

For board games, while I don't get to play them much, it's probably Zombicide Black Plague. It isn't complicated to learn and I like a game where occasionally the goal is simply to "escape with your lives". I picked this one mostly because my kids love playing it so much. They only play board games if I play with them, but a couple of times they played this game all night (with company) after I had to go to sleep. Teens staying up all night playing a tabletop game with friends is old school awesome. The world need more of that.

7 people like this

I suppose it'd depend on what genre of game.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Minecraft is not a game.  It is a lifestyle:

Indeed. I live in a dumpster.

laGYABg.jpg

3k00KdJ.jpg

(We call junky unplanned base sprawl a dumpster base)

8 people like this

11 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Mini game is a tie between Frostgrave for skirmish style game and Armies of Arcana for large scale battles. Frostgrave scratches the itch I have for a Mordheim style game with a few minis per player and campaign advancement. AoA fills the void for a Warhammer style game except with practically unlimited flexibility for army and unit building, without a bunch of the things that annoyed me. In addition to the standard fantasy armies (elves, dwarves, goblins, undead) I have imperial romans and medieval russians on the table. After playing a few other games for years I find it hard to go back to GW rules because they are slower and clunky at times. Frostgrave I last played about 4 months ago. AoA was a few days ago.

Board games my choice is Twilight Imperium 3. Massive honking game of conquest in space. I like empire building games and this has a lot of depth and multiple ways to earn victory points. The downside is that it's large and complex and takes a while to play so it's hard to find players. Last plyed a couple of months ago. Most played game is probably and older version of Risk with the mission cards. Relatively fast and simple and people are willing to play it.

Videogames I could name lots. Lately I've been playing Xcom, Shadowrun Returns and other games that are squad based tactical battles. I also love strategy games like the Total War series, dabble in RPGs and first person shooters.

5 people like this

15 hours ago, David Brawley said:

That's a tough one. But I'll have to go with my heart on this one. Ecco: the tides of time. It would have been the 2nd video game I had played by that point in my life, and is still one of the most memorable. Not many games then or since exhibited that kind of natural beauty and fantasy for me. It's one of the few played entirely as a simulation of an animal (or animals at a few stages) It was unique with it's own fascinating story if not cheesy now. I still listen to the soundtrack which was diverse. Also helps that the ocean and it's inhabitants are one of my fave subjects. I actually played through it again last month. Seriously it has everything you might be looking for, explore the ocean as a dolphin, travel through time both present ocean, prehistoric, future where dolphins have evolved a pocket to hold helium and take to the skies, fight off an alien form heck-bent on taking all ocean life for its own planets food supply. Just great fun.

For board and tabletop I'll go with world of darkness and stratego. I like world of darkness for it's multi-genre, those rulesets can be used for anything, real world, fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural characters both cannon and created, or how about a cross genre where real world characters get sucked into a fantasy by some supernatural force? It's all there and it's fun. Stratego is like chess with random chance, you see your opponent move but you have no idea what piece it is until you fight it. Or deduce it by how the opponent uses them.

7 people like this

10 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

1. Any method of teleportation that involves tearing me apart on the molecular level... or ANY level... is unacceptable. I won't do it. I'll eat replicated food, but I'm durned if I will use a Star Trek transporter. Someone let me know when they invent Larry Niven transfer booths.

2. Any form of transport that isn't operated by a reasonably coherent human makes me suspicious. There are any number of humans I don't think should be licensed to drive, and while Commander Data and the B-5 Robot seemed smart enough, we ain't there yet. Any machine we can make in my foreseeable future is going to be fallible as hell... and very likely programmed to see the big picture.

+1 on transfer booths, except I'll have to reread it I do think they are still molecular teleportation, it wasn't a conveyor as I recall because it was installed in individual rooms, If I recall them correctly it was like an elevator portal thing, then again I don't think he fully explains "how" they work, just that they did, and they did simply by walking in and immediately arriving. ALSO recall that it was hacked in chapter 1 of the first book, (The puppeteer hacked it to bring Louis to a room of his choosing, as evident by Louis reaction when he met the puppeteer.) I do believe the puppeteers used a form of conveyor though, I've vague memories of when Louis is on the puppeteer world and the world shifts and shapes while the roads (or sidewalks) carry him from place to place, albeit in a much slower fashion then the transfer booths (which could be a result of the puppeteers fearing molecular teleportation the same as you and merely built around it.)

Also I was too lazy to edit my post so yeah, I posted twice, I'll refrain from that in the future as much as possible ;)

4 people like this

On 4/15/2017 at 11:37 PM, David Brawley said:

Since nobody else has said it (and given me a setup) I'm going to go with HeroQuest (I think you know where this is going).

Why?

You really have to ask?

Spoiler

I haven't actually played it in a year or so, I think. Maybe two. I was going to play with some workmates a few weeks ago, but the evening was consumed by drinking and Cards Against Humanity instead.

5 people like this