David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1052 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Everything that follows is "---Doc Bedlam" but it was copy pasted to destroy whatever formatting it had which was blowing up the right hand margin on my puny mobile screen.

At Castle Bedlam, in the evenings, the hobby room gets shut down anywhere between eight and nine, and all the animals are shooed out so we can kill all the lights and shut the door.

Sheldon the Jello Cat does not want to leave, and oozes into a spot in the closet, a place under my workbench, a gap in Berni’s stacks of fabric. Pocky the Gray Tabby looks at us, uncomprehending. Sunny and Freckles, the dogs, look on with interest but do not move. And The Doom Cat figures it out. “Peep?” he says. “Peeeeeeeeeep?”

The Doom Cat, a yellow eyed feline of purest black, who’d not look out of place in any witch’s hut, does not meow. He peeps. And when the hobby room is about to close for the night, that peep becomes a desperate interrogative. Because the way to empty out the hobby room in a hurry involves going downstairs and shaking the plastic jar of kitty krunchies.

Doom is generally first downstairs, followed by Pocky. Katie Cat isn’t much for the hobby room -- too crowded for her tastes -- but she’ll come galumphing down, followed by Sheldon. Freckles and Sunny will trot down, too; Sunny likes pretty much anything a cat will eat. Or a human. Or the contents of the catbox. But I digress.

Anyway, all the critters have a snack while Berni stealthily switches off the lights and closes the door. Until recently, that was the pattern.

Trouble is, Doom is so darn adorable when he peeeeeeps. He doesn’t peep at other cats, or the dogs. He trills, purrs, snarls, and uses regular cat language. Only with humans does he peep. And Berni took to peeping BACK at him. This leads to a short conversation in which Berni and Doom are cheerfully peeping back and forth while one of us is headed downstairs for the jar of kitty krunchies. But over time, the other critters picked it up. Doom still peeps. Always has. But now, when a HUMAN peeps... particularly in the children’s hour, the time between 8 and 9 pm or so... when a HUMAN is heard to peep... it immediately triggers a mass reaction. Right time of day? We don’t even have to shake the treat jar any more. “Peeeep?”

“Peeeeeeeeep!” (all animals leap to their feet and rampage down the stairs for the kitchen)

It’s handy. Now we don’t need two people to pull this stunt. Now one of us peeps, and all the critters stampede out of the hobby room. Easy.

But I’m still wondering whether we trained them... or if Doom trained us...

Edited by TGP
Needed to Nuke Original Formatting from Orbit
7 people like this

On 4/1/2017 at 0:15 AM, David Brawley said:

Question for April Fool's Day (not fools related)

Given the losses that were shared yesterday, share a favorite memory you have (or more than one if you want) of an animal companion who made your life better. 

In answer to my own question, the joy every time I bring a big kids ball home for Lucy to play with. It's her favorite toy, and she always pops them, usually sooner rather than later. So she usually only gets to play with 2 or 3 a year... 

7 people like this

On 3/31/2017 at 7:30 PM, David Brawley said:

Question for Friday, April -1st

Did this throw you off?

Do you have any tricks planned for tomorrow?

Did what throw me off?

Also, I don't play tricks so no - nothing planned and nothing executed.

2 people like this

nope. I think this is a good idea. =)

Been working on updating some stuff on profiles. =)

4 people like this

Question for Monday, March 34th

Of all the various corporate April Fools jokes, pranks, and gags, what was your favorite this year?

2 people like this

14 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Of all the various corporate April Fools jokes, pranks, and gags, what was your favorite this year?

Being a Saturday, I wasn't involved with/didn't observe any April Fool's pranks this year.

So...CHICKEN!.

4 people like this

20 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

I liked Google Maps' Ms. Pac-Man. Didn't play it very much, but it was fun to see what the map played like in various locations.

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Didn't see too many, but I have to give the nod to Privateer Press for their Super Metallics System.  Well worth watching the introduction.  :)

3 people like this

50 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

I wasn't aware of too many April Fool's pranks this year.

My awesomely talented kid "Red" and her friend "Blue" added a new video to their comedic education channel:  A Let's Play, where instead of dissecting history, mythology, or literature with piercing wit and chibi cartoons they ... filmed themselves playing video games and trash talking each other.  For almost an hour.

Comments seemed divided between stunned horror and appreciation.  I'm not much into Let's Plays and could only stand a few minutes of it, but some people said they enjoyed watching.

7 people like this

I enjoyed "Google Gnome" prank video.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

The trick rock God placed at the top of the bank that caused me to fall in the 50 degree river. I managed to avoid completely falling in, but my foot and leg got wet.

5 people like this

There were none.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

There were none.

Nothing here either.

1 person likes this

I liked the reprise of some classics, mostly from Google. 

Then again, there's always the "Too Soon" ones...  (Firefly is coming back) and so forth.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

The only Corporate ones I remember seeing this year were the Klingon's Guide to Mt. Vernon and Google's Ms. Pac-Man. They were both fun and silly.

2 people like this