David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

791 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

... I have no idea! It was a dinky little place, so probably not. Recipes, anyone? :;): 

Remind me to post the actual Portal black forest cake recipe over in the Good Eats thread. I've never been brave enough to attempt making it (plus it's a ton of cake for two people!), but from the recipe it SOUNDS like it should be good. It's based on a real black forest cake from a real bakery that one of the developers saw. ^_^

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

9 people like this

6 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

I really would wanna try the stroopwaffel cake.

So get some stroopwafels and bake one!

6 people like this

Question for Tuesday, April 18th

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

Edited by David Brawley
7 people like this

3 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

Yes, I did.

I was planning on doing something responsible/adulty with it, but my wife suggested saving it for Reapercon. Now I'll need to think about it.

Does anyone anywhere like paying taxes?

7 people like this

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes, I did.

I was planning on doing something responsible/adulty with it, but my wife suggested saving it for Reapercon. Now I'll need to think about it.

Does anyone anywhere like paying taxes?

You can like the system, without liking paying taxes...

3 people like this

I suppose you could be right...

>still suspicious<

6 people like this

4/18: Taxes were filed back in early March, got the refund already.  Part of the refund is going towards a down payment on a new car, as my current ride has decided to break enough that it's no longer sensible to repair it (I got 170K miles out of it - a pretty good run), the rest is going to the general funds for the household.

7 people like this

47 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Yes, they got done last week-ish.  I had to make sure I had everything together as it was much more complex than last years (active duty military pay for 3 months, contractor pay for 10.5 months, retirement pay for 9 months, cash out my unused leave balance, partial state taxes).  The biggest change was that my taxable income went up dramatically (like double the previous year).  I am still getting a small refund but haven't received it yet.  I will most likely use it for RCon (or college expenses for Daughter Dilvish).

9 people like this

56 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Yes, back about a month ago. Plan is to pay off some debt and to fund ReaperCon!

5 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

Did them more than a month ago. 

As for a refund, hah that's funny. The payroll department completely screwed up my withholding this year, so I owed about $1400 between fed and state. 

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Did them more than a month ago. 

As for a refund, hah that's funny. The payroll department completely screwed up my withholding this year, so I owed about $1400 between fed and state. 

Can't even sympathy like that...

4 people like this

Dutch here...

I filed my taxes, ( well, I let an accountant handle it), seems we will be getting a refund.

Plans? I heard Bones IV is coming.

Do I like our Tax System???

You mean, do I like getting robbed for being one of the few people that has a job?

Nope...

5 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

Quite a while ago.  As for the refund, no fun plans for it.  Saved it mainly since we are in the midst of a number of repairs/improvements to the house to get it ready to sell next year.  Not that we ever get much back though, we try to keep it pretty close to a break even point.

7 people like this