David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

791 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Tuesday, April 18th

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

Nope. I make sure to owe every year due to a screwup with my student loans that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

5 people like this

Taxes done in February,  refund shortly after. ..

Built a home theater system...

Rest general household expenses...

Irs is okay,  since I use turbo tax....

And whilst no one likes paying taxes, it is necessary...

I just wish that we could have a nice simple flat tax rate that covered everyone equally. ..

And military pay should be tax exempt, as it is stingey as it is

9 people like this

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

Did my taxes almost 2 months ago.  I rarely do anything with refunds aside from sticking them back into the general account.  Besides, I balance my withholding throughout the year, so my refund is typically fairly small. 

I don't mind taxes at all.  I purchase civilization with them.  I would happily pay more taxes if it meant more useful civilization. 

10 people like this

Got mine done earlier this month, and it was a real headache.  Refund? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! No. I will not be receiving a refund.  I've learned that the IRS does not like you to hedge your bets and have multiple sources of income because they make it maddening to file your returns when you do so.  My particular problem is that my wife's job and my military retirement weren't having enough withheld each period so we had a rather large bill, along with a penalty for not paying enough throughout the year.  (Yet if they take their sweet time refunding me money I'm owed it's no big deal apparently.)

I realize that taxes are an inevitable necessity to maintain a certain level of services, but I really dislike the system in which we accomplish it.  If I say anymore we'll start delving into Beekeepers territory and I backed out of that board for a reason.

9 people like this

Yes, MrsSpinner got them done about 3 weeks ago.  Usually she tries to be done in January, but my sculpting business (and another venture with friends) has given her a whole order of magnitude more paperwork and hassle with taxes than we ever had before.  She can't even start anymore until after March 15 because we have to wait for the numbers from the limited partnership to come in.  This year was especially tricky as she had to factor in the purchase of the foundry which, on paper, put my sculpting business at a loss.

I love my wife. :wub:

<Voice of MOD>

Be very careful how you answer the second part.  I really don't want to have to move all of today's responses into a Beekeepers topic.

9 people like this

7 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

<snip>

<Voice of MOD>

Be very careful how you answer the second part.  I really don't want to have to move all of today's responses into a Beekeepers topic.

You might as well have said "Don't touch the red button."

7 people like this

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Been done since end of January, yeah. We remodeled our first floor with our refund. It was too big due to generally sloppy allowance work and trying to adjust to a new budget with the wife staying home with our new son. But, we had planned on it, and we made our adjustments this year (which is like giving yourself a huge raise), and should be closer to $0 either way come next year.

7 people like this

Taxes are done.  If I had a refund, it was already spent.

6 people like this

12 hours ago, Inarah said:

Me too. I'm not sure they even sell Fluff out here. 

Black Forest cake is pretty easy.  Chocolate cake, sour cherries, whipped cream. And as much kirsch as you like. 

Yes!

I have done this many times, and it's super tasty! ^_^

2 people like this

First, thank you to all for helping to pay my salary.

My taxes were filed in January 24th (day after the earliest I could file), and refund received and spent on bills. Had to replace my AC unit instead of socking that $1600 away for ReaperCon. :grr:

The tax system is very complex, unfortunately, due to the people in the domed building in DC constantly changing things and flubbing them up. A lot of people blame the IRS, but we're just the enforcers of the tax code your beloved elected leaders created over the past 104 years. Blame them.

17 people like this

1 minute ago, Aryanun said:

Blame them.

Oh, trust me. I do.

11 people like this

3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I like to have mine done as soon as possible, but it took a bit longer this year since my husband did some contract work this year too, with no taxes taken out. We owed over $2500. Before we added in the costs of him actually doing the contract job, we owed over $5000. :zombie: Not a fun day.

4 people like this

Yes, done at the last minute, because it's a headache, with much swearing. We try to set it up so there is neither a refund or an amount owed.  This year between the fed and states I think we'll end up with a small refund which will go back into general funds. 

I think we could have a more streamlined system but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. 

6 people like this

Taxes are in, refund is coming from federal but not state, but unfortunately all that will be taken up by the roofers.

4 people like this

I did finish, and file my taxes, although, technically, I think we still have a bit over 12 hours before the deadline, if anybody is still working on it. I tend to procrastinate quite a bit on taxes these days, because the reporting rules on employee stock programs are complex, and require a lot of tedious research and data entry to complete.

This year, like most years, I got a moderate refund from the Feds, mostly thanks to the mortgage interest deduction, and then rolled about a third  of it over into paying what I owed the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

7 people like this