David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

981 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Tuesday, April 18th

Did you get your taxes done and turned in?

Nope. Big, extra large, nope sandwich.

4 hours ago, David Brawley said:

If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

:lol:::o:::D:::D:::D:

...re-what?

:down:

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

You might as well have said "Don't touch the red button."

You mean the shiny candy-colored button?

7 people like this

3 minutes ago, etherial said:

(slaps hand away)

Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

7 people like this

Yes, with time to spare.

And we did overpay, so will be getting a refund.  Normally I don't like to overpay that much, but a couple years ago my math skillz totally failed me, and I ended up having to write a big check.  Just under the amount where I would incur penalties. 

My plans for the refund include a modest date night with my wife, and the remainder gets tucked away for future inclusion in our Roth IRAs and the little Workshops' college funds.

As I live in the US, I guess I don't get to answer the latter part of today's question.  Probably for the best.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, knarthex said:

And military pay should be tax exempt, as it is stingey as it is

Applied to, marital status: single, service members...that makes obvious sense.  Render them immune to state income taxes as well, if they are not already. 

That seems like an obvious way to simplify the annual tax process. 

4 people like this

35 minutes ago, etherial said:

Yep, that's the one.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

I've got until April 30 to get them done, will probably get them finished sometime this week

Should get a small refund since I didn't make all that much money. Will either use it for Fan Expo in a few weeks, or will save it up for Bones IV.

7 people like this

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

Yes and it's already been spent. We got it like a month ago, I don't remember what we spent it on though so I guess it wasn't all that fun.

5 people like this

Filed.  No refund.  Grrr.

Sucks to pay. Refunds are great.

7 people like this

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Applied to, marital status: single, service members...that makes obvious sense.  Render them immune to state income taxes as well, if they are not already. 

That seems like an obvious way to simplify the annual tax process. 

Not to delve too far into political territory, but I think we can all agree that paying people with tax money and then taxing them on it is a bit silly. I mean, I get it, but it's silly. "Here's some money, now give a part of it back please".

7 people like this

For the first time in years I had to file a return. Surprisingly I got some bucks back.

I put the money aside just in case something fun or otherwise turns up.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Filed just under the wire, because I was out of the country for quite a bit of the last few months.

I will get a refund. It'll go to visiting my son for his birthday. If I have anything left over, I'll apply it to the principle on my mortgage.

(Bones IV money is already set aside, provided I don't buy a new tablet with it first)

Edit: Yes, I'm in the US and I understand where my taxes go. I like having roads and emergency services, though I'd allocate the rest differently than congress does - past or current.

Edited by RouterMike
4 people like this

First thing i do every tax season lest i forget.. also what's a refund?   I just pay my due and that's that

2 people like this

Done and turned in awhile ago.  I got a small refund, but I haven't done anything with it.

2 people like this

Normally my wife & I file almost as soon as we get the required paperwork, alas we were lazy this year. Filed last month & we got our refund earlier this month. When ReaperCon was in April (hey it was around this time, Happy ReaperCon memories!!) I'd use my half for the trip. These days I use some of it to get the travel expenses out of the way, ie plane ticket. This year thou we need a new roof or at least a new covering on the roof. We've been getting quotes & it appears that the refund will quickly go poof! & then some once we finally settle on a contractor.

Thou we did get a state refund back & it was bigger then usual from the state of OR. We are gonna use that for the NEB/UO football game tickets when they become available for non-season ticket holders in July!

3 people like this