Crowley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1068 posts in this topic

Last move was May of 2007 so that the dog could have a yard

Next move will be in 6 - 9 years depending on whether we think we can make it to full retirement at work. Minimum retirement age is a bear some days. Then off to somewhere tropical with cheap insurance - likely Costa Rica. Luckily a quick flight to Florida to pick up my Bones X ::D:

5 people like this

19 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Wednesday, April 19th

When was the last time you moved? When do you think will be the next?

2011, the last time I did a permanent change of station in the Army before I retired.  I really don't want to move again, I like the town I'm in, I like the location of my house, and I like my house.  Though lately I've found myself thinking it would be nice to have a large enough plot of land to set up a separate workshop, a firing range, and generally be left alone.  The flip side is that I like the niceties that come with living in town.  Sometimes I'm a living, breathing self-contradiction.  At any rate, that wouldn't happen until my youngest has graduated for school zone reasons so at least ten years and even then would probably be unlikely.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

April 24, 2009, about a week after my house got its certificate of occupancy [AKA became legally habitable after being built]. We were the first people in the neighborhood to move in when it was neither snowing nor raining. The only things that could induce me to move are a job offer I couldn't refuse, a billion dollars, or triplets.

Edited by etherial
6 people like this

Winning the lottery might convince me to move.  Except I don't buy the tickets.

5 people like this

37 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Last move was July 2001.  Next move is unknown.

4 people like this

38 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

October 21, 2012

don't know

4 people like this

39 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

August of '07; when we bought and moved into this house.  We'll be here for 6 more years, until the youngest graduate High School.  After that, it will depend on how seriously I look for a job elsewhere.  I've got decent job prospects and networking in this area.  not so much elsewhere.  So even though Awesome Wife keeps talking about moving somewhere it doesn't snow, we'll have to see what the future brings.

8 people like this

We moved to our current house eight years ago this month.  We had lived in a neighborhood that was . . . less than stellar. One neighbor lived in a $60k house, drove a brand new Jaguar, kept the blinds closed, and had an assortment of people knocking on his door at all hours of the night.  Hey, he was quiet.

Not much can entice me to move.  We've got five acres on a small lake.  My boys get to play with snakes and frogs, and we see coyotes and deer regularly.  I would say in about 15-20 years the work to keep the place up will become too much for us and we'll have to relocate. 

7 people like this

November 1999.  I don't know if we'll ever move. It comes up about once a year, how we'd like a larger house in a newer neighborhood, but moving would mean packing this mess and I'm not keen on the idea.  DH likes his job , so while other cities have appeal from time to time we don't really want to leave.  Also a new home would mean no trees, a smaller yard, and homeowner association restrictions. 

5 people like this

On 4/18/2017 at 11:23 PM, David Brawley said:

Question for Tuesday, April 18th

Did you get your taxes done and turned in? If you're getting a refund, any fun plans for it?

For those who aren't under the thumb of the IRS, do you like the tax system your country uses?

I let my lovely wife deal with that, but I don't think that she has yet. It usually takes about ten minutes on the IRD website, but this year will be slightly more complicated because we received a Working for Families grant for a couple of months before wife decided to go back to studying.

We should both be getting refunds by her calculations, probably around $800-$900 between us. It will probably almost all go towards paying off debts, with maybe a bit of fun money set aside.

I don't really have much of a problem with our tax system. With our child being born I've been on the receiving end of many tax-funded programmes in the last year and a half, and I'm pretty amazed at what our tax dollars can achieve for us working-class folk.

34 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

We moved into this house just before Christmas in 2014, a month or so after we got married. I'm really happy with the location, the landlord and the price, so I don't think we're in any hurry to move. I'd be quite happy to stay here for the next couple of years while wife finishes her degree and we figure out where we want to put down roots and buy property (though with the cost of houses around the country, remaining in Dunedin seems like a logical choice).

5 people like this

June of last year. Given the work I'm putting in on this property, hopefully never.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, David Brawley said:

The last time I moved was 9 years ago this month. The next move will be in 2-4 weeks as I finally get to move up to NYC and live with my wife! 

Pshaw, living with the wife is overrated.  :P

3 people like this

4/19: My wife and I bought our house in October 2014.  We actually moved in in November 2014.  My next move will be sometime after the kids are out of daycare, we bought this house to start building equity, and want to move into a better space for the family once the daycare expense is removed from monthly expenses.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

We moved into our present place before the millennium, before the kids were born.  I don't think we'll be moving out any time soon -- we're dug in like ticks.

4 people like this

Last move September 05...

Next......?????

4 people like this