David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1029 posts in this topic

as a person who has moved more than 60 times...

I know moving is inevitable.

I suppose someone will have to burn down my house, or I will be fired first.

So then.

4 people like this

Some things about multiple moves are 1) you get good at it, and 2) you're likely to get rid of a lot of extra / non-essential stuff.

It's funny how much clutter that can accumulate over the course of just a year.

4 people like this

4 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Question for Wednesday, April 19th

When was the last time you moved? When do you think will be the next?

Last time was when I moved in with my then-girlfriend (afterwards wife) back in September 2012, a month and a half after we started dating. I needed to get off the farm and on my own again, and it didn't take us long to decide that we wanted to be together.

I don't know when I'll move again, I tend to settle once I've made my lair. And there are personal reasons why I don't want to leave this town right now.

6 people like this

2013, moved in with my girl.

Next time? Somewhere in the next 10 years.

6 people like this

5 hours ago, David Brawley said:

My last move was May of last year.

My next move is likely to be sooner than I want it to be. I love our current place, but it looks like we might need more space in the future. Even so, I'm hoping to put off any changes for at least 3-4 more years. (5+ would be even better, but is looking unlikely)

5 people like this

5 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Two years ago was the last time we moved and we'll be moving again in the next few months. We'll be getting a roommate this time around but she's like my second mother and our best friend so we're happy about it.

There's a fence for the dogs so that's a plus but there's a gorge about a hundred yards from the house so that means snakes which is a HUGE minus. Well, no worries: I have a variety of weaponry with which to dispatch them. My favourite is my ditch bank blade, or fauchard, I believe. It's a long, straight axe handle with a bill hook blade on the end. It's beautiful. Also, I can use it standing up which is handy as I can't bend over to use a machete anymore.

5 people like this

6 hours ago, David Brawley said:

I last moved six month ago.  The new job is going well, so it will soon be time to take a look at the housing market.  So, uncertain but I imagine I'll find something eventually.

4 people like this

9 hours ago, David Brawley said:

About 6 years ago next month. Not sure about the next.

3 people like this

April 4th, 2011, when we bought our house... with a check the bank made out (20% down) on April 1st.  Prior to that we moved on average every 18 months for the first 15 years of our marriage.  I am conflicted on the next move.  For one, it is a great place to live in a good neighborhood.  But we originally bought it to take care of my wife's grandfather, grandmother and mother when her grandfather was getting bad with Alzheimers.  After he passed, her mother remarried (a miracle in and of itself) and her grandmother moved in with her mother.  Now it is the two of us.  We haven't had children of our own, but to get the house into shape that we could adopt we will have to redo the water lines and redo all of the electrical in the house.  And also renovate one bathroom entirely (which might lead into a second one depending on the flooring).  Of course, to sell, we might have to fix some of those same issues.  Catch 22.  At least it's an investment... (for the bank)

4 people like this

January 1, 2007.

Plan on moving when the kids move out, or when stairs become impossible for me, whichever comes first.

5 people like this

6 hours ago, hdclearman said:

Some things about multiple moves are 1) you get good at it, and 2) you're likely to get rid of a lot of extra / non-essential stuff.

3) you get really sick of it

I moved about every 18 months for the first 25 years of my life.  I love to travel but I HATE moving. 

9 people like this

10 hours ago, David Brawley said:

December 2007, bought my condo. I'd need a big life change before I move again. Most likely I'd have to get married and need more space. Though if my folks passed away, I'd probably move into their place and rent out the condo. My commute would jump by 20+ minutes, but I'd have more room for game related crap, what with a garage and an extra couple rooms.

6 people like this

10 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Last year was last time, and i don't know when the next will be but golly gee I am putting money and applications for higher jobs to make it soon. Though; unfortunately, I suspect the wings of fate will push me in the opposite direction of reapercon, ;) aiming for northeast of where I currently am, and far far away from that Texas heat.

4 people like this

11 hours ago, David Brawley said:

My last move was February 19th, 2010. I moved from my life long home on Long Island to the wilds of Horseshoe Bay, TX.

I would rather not think about the next move; re, there is a certain finality to it.

8 people like this

11 hours ago, David Brawley said:

November 2014.

Hopefully in the semi-near future; I think I've had enough of renting.

Also, hopefully that will be the last time.

5 people like this