David Brawley

Getting To Know Each Other - April 2017

1068 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TGP said:

post-7586-0-66148500-1477002460_thumb.jpeg

There is ^ also this guy. I need to get back to working on him. 

The wings are just held with glue. Does anybody have any clever thoughts about adding pins into the wings? 

(I picture attempting it and see myself supergluing a pin into a deep, deep hole,  that goes through to the shoulder, but the glue grabs too soon and I end up with a metal pin sticking out too far that is glued in tight and I can't back it out.)

If you are really worried about the super glue drying too fast, then use some 5-minute (or longer) epoxy.  It will hold even better, and you can even use it to cover the end of the holes for your pins.

6 people like this

Late to the party, but figured I post for the weekend.

Been working on this guy:

Blessing.thumb.jpg.d4b156f637fa80a21122b95eaac7f129.jpg

As for advice:  I was trying to get an OSL effect on the runes on the underside of each shoulder, but everything I try either comes out too light or way too solid.  Here's how they currently stand:

5907255f49e8f_BlessingRight.thumb.jpg.ed6fe424fe7c23640d7b8ad184bd7c79.jpg

As you can see it just comes out way too light and looks sloppy.  Fortunately at least from the table top view, you can't really notice it, but in the interest of trying to continually expand my arsenal of techniques, any tips would be welcome.  My first thought is to keep going over it with glazes, but being careful not to get too much (like I did on the gold pad directly below).

Other side:

590725e22803f_BlessingLeft.thumb.jpg.66b79f50c33a8de2643c0d767164f37f.jpg

As you can see from this side and further away, it doesn't look as bad, it just doesn't look particularly good either.  All of it of course pretty much fades away from the table top view so in that sense I'm actually pleased.  FWIW, I'm not looking to get too bright of an OSL effect, just wanted to start small as this was my first attempt.

Cheers,

Gargs

9 people like this

23 hours ago, TGP said:

post-7586-0-66148500-1477002460_thumb.jpeg

There is ^ also this guy. I need to get back to working on him. 

The wings are just held with glue. Does anybody have any clever thoughts about adding pins into the wings? 

(I picture attempting it and see myself supergluing a pin into a deep, deep hole,  that goes through to the shoulder, but the glue grabs too soon and I end up with a metal pin sticking out too far that is glued in tight and I can't back it out.)

My method for glueing bones stuff is to put the pin in the end of the wing, then viciously stab it into the mini. Then I pull the pin back out, put glue on the pin and repeat the stabbing process. The glue doesn't usually set so fast that I don't have time to be stabby. Once everything is set, I reinforce the joint with green stuff, smoothing over cracks (which I hate) and blending. None of the joints I've pinned this way have come undone.

The vicious stabbing is the secret ingredient.

8 people like this