Harrek

Cancelled
Dark Sword Miniatures – Stephanie Law Masterworks RPG Minis

34 posts in this topic

I'd go half in, but they don't have that kind of pledge level...

I, too, will just snag the minis that interest me later as they show up for retail. 

I think this is an easy pass for me. Only an "all-in" pledge level and a number of those miniatures don't speak to me (purely personal taste here).

Well, I do like most of them, and I don't really have that many PC miniatures right now (just those we need for our current campaign).

Plus it's ending on the day I have to turn in my current project, so it's basically screaming 'reward yourself' at me.

But I get how people with a larger collection might not want all of those, since they're pretty basic fantasy classes most of you probably have a ton of. 

I'll echo some previous comments.  I like the sculpts - especially the more youthful male spell casters.  I don't like enough of them to justify backing at this point.  Though retail is likely the way I'll get them.  I've starred the project to revisit that decision later, but for now, it's wish-them-success-but-wait-for-retail.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I like a few of the models, but I'm not a fan of the "all or nothing" pledge levels. 

Ditto. A few of those look really good, but not all of them. And while I like that they're better for gaming, I miss the fantastical quality the previous KS had...

Edited by redambrosia
1 person likes this

hey mods- looks like Jim is going to relaunch this again later.  Want to keep the same thread/leave it open?

...and I was looking forward to stretch goals today! 

8 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

81% funded in 12 hours and he cancels?

Given the previous performance of Darksword Kickstarters, the really short length of this one (even the previous Stephanie Law KS was 11 days or so - and that seemed short), and its kind of poor launch timing, I can definitely see wanting to scrap and start over - Darksword has enough of a cachet, and trust built up, that it's not like this is likely to impact the performance of the re-launch, I suspect. 

I don't see "a really short length" - this was supposed to be 8 days and other Darksword KS were between 7 and 11 days. Yes, he admits (of course correctly) that he is responsible for the timing and the length ... but with the amount of Kickstarters under his belt, I wonder why he did what he did and 12 hours later saw the necessity to pull the plug ... of course, nobody doubts Darksword and the re-launch will be at least as successful ... I just do not think it was the timing that made that KS a bit slower than others before. Might also have been the fact that there is only one pledge level, that many people are a bit tapped out as far as KS is concerned ... and that - to me - the offer here is not THAT convincing (like some models, don't like others ... being "forced" to take all for $100 gets a "no thanks" reaction from me).

2 people like this

Unless it funds immediately and stretch goals start to unlock it will be in danger of losing people.

I think his logic for cancelling is valid: he should have done early birds to make sure it funded right away --  those people would stick with their pledges even if not 100% sold on all the sculpts, so there would be less risk of it de-funding (always a possibility).

That would make up for people like me who are cautious and hesitant: I looked at this and said "looks nice but I'm not sure.  I will wait and see because I don't like to pledge and then drop a pledge, particularly on what might be a smaller scale project where pledges make more of a difference."

Huh, cancelled and planning a relaunch.

Hi everyone -

I am going to cancel this project as I really dropped the ball on launch timing and the project structure.

Looks like the late start time, the Friday start date and no early bird slots to entice backers to jump in early with their support on this project have really slowed things down on this project compared to other Dark Sword projects we have done in the past.

I bring this up as on shorter campaigns like this one (which was initially going to be a 9-10 campaign but got crunched down as this week went by and I kept the Friday April 7th end date when going live with it), it is really important that the project funds quickly and is into stretch goals in the first few hours. It has been 12 hours now and we are 81% funded. While many projects would be thrilled with this sort of response, I want to make sure I get this project crammed full of free stretch goals by the time the closing minutes roll around so you the project backer are smiling from ear to ear with all the miniatures we unlocked.

I am 110% at fault for this as I should have stuck with our proven formula from past projects and launched mid week, early in the day with Early Bird Slots to reward our backers that jumped in right away. I also did not pre-promote this as heavily as I typically have done in the past. I should have listened to my gut and held off until next week early in the week after things got delayed like they did this week with getting things ready and approved. Again, this is 110% on me.

So I am going to pull this project offline for now and look at tweaking the campaign structure and timing of the project to make sure it exceeds expectations for both you our backers and with me.

I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of the backers that jumped in early even with no early bird slots available, and the late start time on this project. Your show of support has not gone unnoticed.

Stay tuned for more updates on these miniatures.

Thanks!

Jim

Hmm, this suggests that there will be an early bird option next time.

Posted (edited)

Relatively new to KS, I didn't even know that DS had KS campaigns.  I place their minis at the very top of the mountain of a few great to many good to thousands of dreck miniatures.

However, having just reviewed their previous offerings on KS, and although I really like a few of their minis, they tend to have very similar topics and presentation.  I have maybe 40 DS minis now and will probably just pick up the one or two when they are available for individual sale.

It also seems that they use their KS campaigns to sell wide ranges of their existing minis.

Edited by Highlander

Yeah, their Kickstarter projects are a great way to get bundle deals of their older minis and their instructional dvds.

Okay, well that was a surprise...  I have to admit that the pre-promotion was lacking because I was interested but still slow off the mark for noticing that the campaign was live.  Announcing a start date ahead of time would have helped.  (I mean, I subscribe to their newsletter and their Facebook page but still saw it on the forum first.).

And while I agree that this line was less whimsical than the previous Stephanie Law stuff, It looked easier to assemble and more suited to gaming.  So possibly a more useful choice for me. I guess I'll go back to waiting...

I'll have to check it out when they relaunch.