knarthex

Legitimate Xvart, or Buglips' Nemesis

So to go along with the Goblin Leader that is the hangout mini of the month for April, I decided to do a companion Xvart...

He is a Gobbo from the Ben Seins sculpts, but I thought his head looked a little bare, so after cutting off the broccoli, I decided to sculpt a 'Stahlhelm' on his head....

first layer of putty....

005.JPG.95e997a6c0e9f3efd297d92a61641bdf.JPG006.JPG.aba70f7e11a68b497520883409b19334.JPG

Should I sculpt Jackboots too???

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 11

Second layer of putty....

008.JPG.f6d406611c711d46d88fe58befea7b04.JPG009.JPG.1b9162e99f785587af1557e433677f72.JPG010.JPG.a37a280de5ef94c9338c088c76c2dd29.JPG011.JPG.1efab7277794c2c81feb435a19244f54.JPG

not sure how sculptors stay sane, as trying to add tiny bits of green stuff in certain places, and have it stick, was driving me nuts.....

looks like he' having a bad hair day right now, don't it????

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 10

On 4/2/2017 at 1:00 AM, knarthex said:

Second layer of putty....

008.JPG.f6d406611c711d46d88fe58befea7b04.JPG009.JPG.1b9162e99f785587af1557e433677f72.JPG010.JPG.a37a280de5ef94c9338c088c76c2dd29.JPG011.JPG.1efab7277794c2c81feb435a19244f54.JPG

not sure how sculptors stay sane, as trying to add tiny bits of green stuff in certain places, and have it stick, was driving me nuts.....

looks like he' having a bad hair day right now, don't it????

What are you using to lubricate your tools? I use vaseline to keep my tools from sticking,  If I don't wash it off between layers, it also prevents the next layer of putty from sticking.

• Like 4

So I did moar work on his helmet tonight...

Part of me thinks I would have been better off with a helmet from another mini grafted on, and part of me thinks that the position of his head, the way it is hunched down makes me think it wouldn't have worked...

001.JPG.4b060f760f726cc7a95215122e727db1.JPG002.JPG.98806747e0b3051d74340f0374a47199.JPG003.JPG.b5214d950140a9fc6ea1d3f805b73b46.JPG004.JPG.8eaef300cbe7297347dec07c6cb12816.JPG

Not perfect, but acceptable...

• Like 10

So tonight he got primed....

029.JPG.c9ccdebb36ffd3d20b6e91527bc351d0.JPG030.JPG.d619732741e9661f3244a7ba70d1b1f6.JPG031.JPG.559043ddb70c26817ce3f5359fe102c6.JPG032.JPG.4e06fbe4a6dd6d464ca9fe16f26a1333.JPG

Tomorrow will see him get started....

Still wondering if I should try and sculpt boots on him.....

• Like 12

He is pinned in a rather unlucky way. Poor guy...

Edited by Talae
  • Like 4

That helmet's not too shabby; good work!

As for the boots: could go either way; jack boots should (in theory) be easy to sculpt, since they're supposed to be relatively smooth and form fitting on the legs, however due to the pose of the figure, you'd need to worry about getting the creases/wrinkles around the ankles right.

Could look good; probably going to be tricky to do.

• Like 1

baaaa....   Green stuff cuts off really easy if it doesn't turn out. Just sculpt the boots over the feet and if it goes sideways, just cut it off and repeat until you get the results you like, or give up.

• Like 2

Looking good so far, will need fun to watch!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Fire_Eyes
      Painted mainly just by drybrushing. The sculpt screamed grizzly bear, so I tried to emulate those colors.

I think this is my quickest figure yet, and one of my favorites. Any advice and critiques are appreciated!
    • By Fire_Eyes
      My first figure of the year, and also my first speedpaint (AKA I tried not to get perfectionist over every detail)

I followed the kit's instructions on the cloak, then did my own thing on the rest, which accidentally wound up being pretty similar to most of the other ltpk Anirions I've seen.

This wasn't my favorite sculpt, and the mold lines were terrible, especially on her hand, but I was able to practice and learn a lot by painting her. Any critiques and advice for future figures are welcome and appreciated!
    • By Paradoxical Mouse
      So, since the RPChallenge Requests a Show-Off, here's my first point for this year! I'm really proud of her!
      I'm not sure which of the starting survivors she is, but...

Better Pictures (edit):

Critique would be appreciated. I will admit, I used too light a skin color for the OSL to look right over, and it is toned down enough that you can't really tell in person. I wanted to give the lantern a soft glow, rather than a bright one, to capture the hopelessness that is Kingdom Death.
    • By NomadZeke
      I'm kinda on time!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 8!

Bonus Challenge: The First!
      Frostbite:
      Considering the sheer cold that's gripping most of us as of this posting: Paint a mini that looks like they've been outside in the winter a little too long - snow in the hair, icicles on shields, etc. Have fun with it

Bonus Challenge: The Second!
      Our annual challenge returns. February Fingerpaint! 
      This is pretty self explanatory. 

Hard Mode Challenge!
      Pending...

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge last year, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78658-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9:
      May/June: 9
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:
      Nov/Dec: 9:

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
  • Who's Online   35 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)