Darkmeer

April 2017 Hobby Goals

47 posts in this topic

So my goal for April 2017, which is mostly over at this point, is to prepare for what I am calling "The Summer of Minis!!!" which begins May 1st. Now that school is about to end and I am getting a 12 week break from it, I am planning to spend my summer painting at least one mini per week, if possible even two!!!  I am only working from home and will have a lot more free time to paint and most importantly ZERO school responsibilities!!!!

So my plan for the summer is: 1) Paint Minis 2) Play Videogames 3) Play Pathfinder with friends (FINALLY) and 4) Play Warmachine at the FLGS.

This summer is an unprecedented confluence of good luck and good planning and I know that I will never have another point in my life where I have so little responsibility. I plan on making the most of it!

9 people like this

With 2/3 of the month gone, I've managed to finish one of the abominations for Black Plague so at least my goal has been reached.  Hoping to wrap up the last 2 in the coming 10 days so I can go back to staring at Cinder... 

5 people like this

Just found this thread and it has been a busy month painting. Getting a ton of minis ready for a Blood Bowl League. Starts tomorrow and finished up my Chaos Dwarf team tonight. Still have Vampires, a Chaos and a new Lizardman Team to finish. And then of course there will be new shinies that sneak in!

1. Chaos team

2. Vampires as soon as Lily Munster gets here

3. Lizardmen 4 Saurus

4. Amazon team,

5. Dwarf team

Not about to get them all done this month, but these are what is in the paint lineup.

4 people like this

This month was terrible for me personally.   I'm going to say nicely that this will be a rough next few months for me as well, but it will get better. 

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

This month was terrible for me personally.   I'm going to say nicely that this will be a rough next few months for me as well, but it will get better. 

That was a sympathy like!

5 people like this

I got distracted on the model-building front, and built two new terrain items instead.  And I'll probably make a couple more before the month is done.  Going to assemble some figs this afternoon though - I need them for tomorrow.

5 people like this

I put some more paint on a CAV I basecoated a couple months ago, and have assembled two Space Marines and an Ork.  Even primed on of the Space Marines.  I'll call that progress.

4 people like this

I finished up my Shadows of Brimstone minis thus completing everything that we have until the next wave of the Kickstarter comes. Next up is waiting for Bones 3 to show up so I can paint some giants and a giant dragon.

5 people like this

Spent hours at the FLGS today as part of my last official event as a Press Ganger.  Got some games in, but also assembled 20 British Line Infantry from my Waterloo set, as well as all twelve horses for the French.  I won't get the whole box ready for paint before the end of the month, but it should all be on my painting desk by the end of May.

4 people like this

On 4/2/2017 at 6:42 PM, Mehman said:

The following are my April goals. If any of them get done, I'll be happy, although I would like more than one finished goal this month...

• Complete the build for 03427: Halbarand, Cleric. I accidentally broke off his right foot when trying to remove the base with heavy cutters - I forgot how to work with metal at some point :mellow:. That'll have to be reattached and green stuffed to fix the damage which will be easy but a huge waste of good hobby time. I then remembered how to work with metal and sawed off the base with a razor saw. The only things left to do for completion are scraping away the mold lines on his body, fixing his foot, gluing his hand to his body, and putting him on a 25mm Games Workshop base (I've got so many of those suckers...). All that work could get done in a night but not today.
  • Finish painting 02621: Laurana, Sorceress. I was going to put her in Simple Green to strip the paint off of her as I didn't like her skin when it was completed but my wife told me not to. Everything besides her skin needs paint so she could take some time.
  • Keep hacking away at my solo game. Maybe the magic system will get completed this month - who knows?

Well, I guess an update is needed as this is the last day in April.

The cleric is still not finished. The whole month he's sat there on my painting desk with little attention. Well, I did scrape off the mold lines on his body but that's it. Laurana is basically the same except she has basecoated and shaded clothes. The highlights haven't been started and they don't look like they'll even get started until after we move in late May as I have to pack the painting room away for the movers. So many models and sprues of plastic... At least we'll have central A/C again so I won't pour sweat all over the models when painting.

I did hack away at the solo game and it's starting to become something more than a set of amorphous ideas lost in the firmament of the aether. I mean... no, that's what I mean. Anyway, I switched from the fantasy game to a Post-Apocaplyptic one that's been kicking a can for a while out in the backyard of my brain. I think I could start playing it by June if I keep up with the work but everything is dependent upon our move.

So, to summarize: I haven't completed anything on the list for this month (or last month) and I've just added more for next month already. At least I'm making some goals. At least that makes me feel alright ^_^!

2 people like this

On 4/1/2017 at 3:17 PM, Pingo said:

I haven't painted anything since the election last November ... :unsure:

I've been gluing things together, though, and priming things.  I have hope again.

Okay.  I painted some stuff.  Yay!

I didn't finish any of it.  But this is the state I got things to from raw metal / plastic / resin:

Spoiler

5906836c21a30_DSC_0610-the-months-work.jpg.a90e172c2b3a00cb8adac7030092598f.jpg

6 people like this

So how'd I do?

Goldar and his teddy (70% done) Not touched

Goblin Leader and 3 goblin warriors DONE!!

Roman soldier (70% done?) Some work, but not much... still a lot to do

Also worked on highland stone and familiar and completed the front steps project (1:1 scale terrain). 

I think next month will be worse... between moving and Balticon, there isn't gonna be a lot of time to paint. 

1 person likes this

On 4/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, Rahz said:

At this point, my goal for April is to finish something...  Finally got the tooth fairy done last month but the January goals are still glaring at me...  and of course I've gone off and started 3 Black Plague abominations.

Well the 3 abominations are done (Show Off thread to come after I finish matte coating them) so I'm calling this a success.  

2 people like this

I finished both those CAV models.  And what I have learned is that my painting skillz have seriously atrophied.

2 people like this

On 4/2/2017 at 6:36 PM, Auberon said:

April will include some rollover from March

• Work on DDS2 terrain.  It is currently stashed in a cabinet to protect it from dust while I do other things.
  • Finish Ellen stone.  This is quite doable, if I just sit down and paint.
  • Finish cleaning Evil Fox.  Started the last week of March, but she will take quite a bit of work to get ready for painting.  This is largely due to a few bits that I'm just going to have to break out the greenstuff for.  Also, I would like to do a small modification but that will require me to do some actual sculpting.
  • Back no more games on KS*.  Actually an easy one considering this is the first year I've backed two games.  I think I can restrain myself.
  • Be super selective with miniature KS*.  Harder than the above, but made necessary by too much of my budget going to KS and leaving very little for retail.  I want to work on my wishlist.

* Exception allowed for KS that includes an existing catalog already on my wishlist.  April allows me to back the Blacksmith Miniatures KS & remove the company from my wishlist as I can add what I want from their existing catalog to my pledge.

April turned into a video gaming month, so there is little to report on the painting front.  On the spending front:

• Success - no gaming KS backed. 
  • Success - Blacksmith miniatures opened up their entire catalog for pledging, so I was able to back a KS and remove a company from my wishlist at the same time.
2 people like this