Nice work!

I just got 2 sprues of Russ' finest to try and knock the desire to paint a full Space Wolf army out of me....

we will see how soon I get to them.....

• Like 2

This is an incredible paint job... the facial shading is masterful and all the details are separated and accented magnificently

But that blue is really jarring and incongruous - almost as if it were plastic (high tech polycarbonite armor) as opposed to metal - everything else has a consistant realism and shading but the blue seems almost 2D by comparison... - a less bold color might help, but i think it really needs more depth and shading

I haven't tried this yet, but i really enjoyed this blue armor and Marsya was kind enough to share the secret on page 2 of the thread

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments everyone!

5 hours ago, knarthex said:

Nice work!

I just got 2 sprues of Russ' finest to try and knock the desire to paint a full Space Wolf army out of me....

we will see how soon I get to them.....

Best of luck!

As much as I've come to enjoy painting Space Marines, I think trying to paint an army of them would drive me insane.

5 hours ago, kitenerd said:

This is an incredible paint job... the facial shading is masterful and all the details are separated and accented magnificently

But that blue is really jarring and incongruous - almost as if it were plastic (high tech polycarbonite armor) as opposed to metal - everything else has a consistant realism and shading but the blue seems almost 2D by comparison... - a less bold color might help, but i think it really needs more depth and shading

I haven't tried this yet, but i really enjoyed this blue armor and Marsya was kind enough to share the secret on page 2 of the thread

Yeah I find I struggle with "painted" armour, just can't get my head around how to shade and highlight it (and it doesn't help that this one has photographed so glossily).

The armour in that link looks pretty good and sounds easy enough to do, I'll have to give it a try on the next guy in the pile.

• Like 2

Fantastic work.  love your contrast, and how it comes to gether.

Jay

• Like 1

I really like the shade of that blue, but agree that it needs more shading and highlighting.  Everything else is outstanding.

• Like 1

Holy smokes! That's the bluest blue in the whole of blue city! Gotta get me a bottle of that ASAP. *envy* Not sure how well it works on this figure though.

His face is sublime. It's shocking to see so much life in a face on a figure this scale (assuming it's the same scale as a normal marine). Other than his face, my favorite part is the leather on his book and book strap. Beeeeeautiful job on that leather! 

But that face... ::o: :wub:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Holy smokes! That's the bluest blue in the whole of blue city! Gotta get me a bottle of that ASAP. *envy* Not sure how well it works on this figure though.

His face is sublime. It's shocking to see so much life in a face on a figure this scale (assuming it's the same scale as a normal marine). Other than his face, my favorite part is the leather on his book and book strap. Beeeeeautiful job on that leather! 

But that face... ::o: :wub:

Thanks, it's Vallejo Model Colour Royal Blue.

Yeah, Games Workshop have gotten pretty dang good at face sculpting in the last couple of years, so much fun to paint.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Othikent
      I did these guys a few months ago.

I challenged myself when I painted these guys and avoided using washes. I'm very happy with the turnout.
      I'd love to hear what you all think.
    • By paintybeard
      Compared to some of their other models the 40K Imperial Sentinel is ALMOST a reasonable price.
      So for some reason I decided to do one in World War 2 German camouflage:

• By Geoff Davis
      I don't usually paint Warhammer miniatures, but there is a local painting contest which has very specific rules so I figured why not.  I've never entered a painting contest before, so there is no time like the present.  I've decided to carry on with my experiments in object source lighting and apply wht I've learned so far in this project.  One of the big challenges will be doing the OSL in the metallic armour of the knight.  I've never tried that before.  The two figures are "Neave Blacktalon" and "Wight King".

Here is my planned layout.  The white line is to align their line of sight so they are looking each other in the eyes.  The source of light will be a big glowing rune on the ground in between them.   I chose these two figures becuase they both have cloaks that are blowing in the wind, but they are blowing in opposite directions.  That means that when they are facing each other, the wind direction is consistent.  I intend to make the grass be bent over in the same direction as well.  The wind is blowing from the wight towards the knight.  I am very tempted to name this project "Fus Ro..."  That might not be genre appropriate though. 

I had some in progress shots of the base but I lost them somewhere.  Drag and drop error, probably.  I used milliput to make the rocky base.  I used the base of another rocky miniature to make impressions to give it texture.  The wight's foot is incorporated into his base, so I incorporated his whole base into the milliput mass.  I sculpted the runes/rock circle into the milliput and then added sand to it.  In the crevices.  I made my first big mistake at this stage.  I added the grass tufts too.  I should have waited until after I primed the whole base and then painted the ground where the grass would be attached.  My thinking was that the grass would look better if it was highlighted with the OSL effect in the same way as everything else.  However, it has proven very difficult to get paint through the grass tufts to make them shadowed underneath.  Other than that, I like the way it turned out.  I prepainted the whole base using the stone greys triad.  I highlighted the base with the greys and added white to get the areas that would be hit by the light from the rune to be brightest.  Today I spent the morning painting the OSL effects onto the base.  This lets me make sure the OSL on the figures and on the base will line up with each other and also be the same colours.

I am using these for the OSL effect:

Here is where I am at so far.  The figures are beside the base on their cork handles so you can see how they will line up eventually.  I need to darken the areas around the outside edge of the base a lot more still.  It is actually a lot darker than it look in the picture already.  I added progressively Nightshade Purple and Brown Liner to the Stone Grey for the shadow areas on the base. 

• By Disemboweler
      Here are my Tyranids from the Games Workshop board game Lost Patrol. 

• By djizomdjinn
      I'm starting to think that I like converting more than painting, been doing a lot more of it recently. I'm liking the Adeptus Mechanicus models from 40k, and got a few of them. While I probably won't have an army per se, I did get quite a few of the ones I thought coolest. Been playing around with the idea of an Order of the Sisters of Battle converting to worship of the Omnissiah, more specifically Moirates. (Unfortunately there's not much lore on what the Moirae Schism was, despite it lasting two millennia, because it didn't really involve Space Marines. )

First up is a Sydonian Dragoon Knight (dragoons are mounted infantry, not cav!), with the servitor converted to a skitarii pilot. The (literal) backseater had more work than just a headswap, I had to lengthen the torso and reposition the right arm to grasp a saddle horn instead of handlebars. The pilot I essentially resculpted the entire torso and added on some of the extra arms from alternate weapon options.

Next is a Tech-Priest(ess) Domin[a]. GW lists him at $36(), but with the release of a few boxed sets that include it recently, third-party prices have dropped to something much less ridiculous. I'm not too happy with this conversion honestly, I might give her longer hair or something, we'll see.  The axe is bashed together because I wanted that axe arm for another model...

I didn't use the chest plate from the Sororitas Terminatrix, and the Sydonian Dragoon came with 5 great head choices, of which I used... none. So, seeing as how the Techpriest Dominus comes with four weapon choices, of which they can take only two, I figured why not kitbash a very different Dominus together.  The process for this was much like the "true-scale" or "art-scale" Terminators that several other people have made. Take Terminator bits, lengthen torso and legs, and in my case, build a Mechanicus backpack thing.

Some Sicarian Infiltrators are on the way, but the mailman is running late, which means they probably won't arrive until Monday. I'll probably get some Skitarii fairly soon (the same third-party price drop that's affected the Dominus has cut their price in half), and... maybe some Kataphrons? Probably not the Kataphrons, because the conversion I'd want to do to them would throw out 90% of a $50 kit.

Hmm, a Knight Armiger Warglaive though...
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)