42 posts in this topic

I wasn't interested in Starfinder, but now the trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 has me jonesing for Star Frontiers!

I haven't played it since grade school!

7 people like this

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

I wasn't interested in Starfinder, but now the trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 has me jonesing for Star Frontiers!

I never played Star Frontiers - I was always more of a Traveller fan.

Come to think of it, aside from Post-Apocalyptic settings, I haven't played much by way of SF games at all. (Star Wars isn't SF - it's fantasy with space ships! ::P: )

Traveller (but a whole bunch of different Travellers), Star Trek (the FASA one), Ringworld, Futureworld, and that's about it.

There was also an attempt to start a Space Opera game, but we only got as far as character generation - and I don't think that we finished even that much.

Though, it sounds like Starfinder is more like Star Wars than Star Trek - soft SF with fantasy elements?

The Auld Grump - I also count Steampunk as Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction - that is not an insult, 'cause I loves me some steampunk!

2 people like this

"Soft" SF usually refers to SF based on social or "soft" sciences rather than hard sciences. I believe the correct term is "Space Opera" :)

Damon.

1 person likes this

On 5/1/2017 at 8:18 PM, Lars Porsenna said:

"Soft" SF usually refers to SF based on social or "soft" sciences rather than hard sciences. I believe the correct term is "Space Opera" :)

Damon.

I'd always understood Soft Sci Fi hand-waved the science fact and basically declared things like "Our FTL drives work because of antimatter", "Transporter beams just convert matter to energy and back, it's there in newton's laws", Everything can be explained by science even this obvious magic element (the Force, Charlie X form TOS)  and didn't worry about what the science was, if they could in 3 words or less name a scientific principle that *might* apply, it did. Trek and Wars are both soft sci fi (although later Trek did start to firm u the science, trying for at least cutting edge scientific theory in the realm of plausibility, and building on that universes canon for their version of science).

hard Sci Fi really emphasized the potential of cutting edge theoretical, and relied heavily on what modern era physicists and other scientists considered could be realistic, if the theories were proven valid.

5 people like this

On 5/1/2017 at 4:13 PM, PaganMegan said:

Same here, and with all the books in PDF free on the web.....

2 people like this

I've had good success with Two Hour Wargames' 5150 series. It may be too light for more than two or three people but you can play it solo. In fact, they're built as solo games that work with more people. They have RPG Lite games, Squad level games, and even actual wargames all set in the same universe. It's all generic enough that you can port in your favourite setting and they will still work. If nothing else, they'll scratch an itch for some Sci-Fi gaming.

When this Pathfinder-in-Space comes out, I'll be buying the models and playing GURPS instead of whatever they're supposed to be for. Magic in space? No thank you. Then again, that's what I do now with Fantasy miniatures...

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Silvervane said:

Same here, and with all the books in PDF free on the web.....

We are raiding her mother's attic - Megan owns the game, and has it, maybe, somewhere.... ::P:

Like Reaper Bryan, I have always associated Soft SF with not being all that firm on the science part... but I have heard the social aspect as well.

Star Wars has always seemed more like Science Fantasy - wizards - check. Knights - check. Even orcs - check (Green Pigs.)

Not that Science Fantasy was all that new - The Witches of Karres, The Warlock in Spite of Himself, Repent Harlequin Said the Tick Tock Man.....

The Auld Grump

2 people like this

My view tend to fall along with reaper Bryan in regards to sci-fi.  Though according to the PDF of a the modern scholar (an audio lecture series) about science fiction, " Soft SF writers often use SF as an excuse to write about other things that interest them."  Hard SF, "Hard SF is usually focused on examination of technology and its general effects more than it is on the specific characters in a story."   He puts Star Wars and A Handmaid's Tale (barely) as soft SF.  So I can see why one might associate the social aspect as well.  I both soft and hard SF, just depends on my mood.

I have my Star Frontiers in storage somewhere to.....  I'm just to lazy to look for. :lol:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2017 at 9:17 PM, Lars Porsenna said:

I suppose it could be both: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_science_fiction

However, when I learned of the definitions it was in an SF literature class at Penn State... ::D:

Damon.

Conversely, if you look at authors known for Hard Sci-Fi, you get a good idea of what to expect of the style.

• Arthur C. Clarke.
  • Poul Anderson
  • Carl Sagan
  • Jules Verne
  • Micheal Crichton
  • Isaac Asimov
Edited by Cranky Dog
1 person likes this

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, Silvervane said:

My view tend to fall along with reaper Bryan in regards to sci-fi.  Though according to the PDF of a the modern scholar (an audio lecture series) about science fiction, " Soft SF writers often use SF as an excuse to write about other things that interest them."  Hard SF, "Hard SF is usually focused on examination of technology and its general effects more than it is on the specific characters in a story."   He puts Star Wars and A Handmaid's Tale (barely) as soft SF.  So I can see why one might associate the social aspect as well.  I both soft and hard SF, just depends on my mood.

I have my Star Frontiers in storage somewhere to.....  I'm just to lazy to look for. :lol:

Personally I consider A Handmaiden's Tale to be Horror not SF.  talk about a bleak outlook on the future.  I would have to do some serious immigrating in a culture like that, even though a lot of those pieces exist today in different cultures.

What really disturbs me are the people who watch or read that and see something they should be driving to, not running screaming from...

1 person likes this

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Cranky Dog said:

Conversely, if you look at authors known for Hard Sci-Fi, you get a good idea of what to expect of the style.

• Arthur C. Clarke.
  • Poul Anderson
  • Carl Sagan
  • Jules Verne
  • Micheal Crichton
  • Isaac Asimov

Charles Sheffield  and James Hogan are two more really important additions to that list.

1 person likes this