8 hours ago, GlenP said:

Way to think outside da box! Press on ...but don't forget your Mucha flat. 

I almost almost made progress this weekend.  I even sat down in front of it and planned out the rocks to add to the frame. But then I realized it would take too much sculpey and I needed to come up with a more economic plan.  Which I still have yet to discover.  I may do some of it in cork and add sculpey to it.  I have to finish it though because I want to take it to world expo in july.

Thanks everyone!!!  I like going through the steps.  It helps me as well because I notice things I can change.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Corporea said:

I almost almost made progress this weekend.  I even sat down in front of it and planned out the rocks to add to the frame. But then I realized it would take too much sculpey and I needed to come up with a more economic plan.  Which I still have yet to discover.  I may do some of it in cork and add sculpey to it.  I have to finish it though because I want to take it to world expo in july.

Thanks everyone!!!  I like going through the steps.  It helps me as well because I notice things I can change.

Yay!  You're going to World Expo too!?!?  Then you have to make sure it's ready in time so I can see it! ::):

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Corporea said:

[...] I may do some of it in cork and add sculpey to it. [...]

Cork will survive the Sculpey baking process?  That's good to know!  I've been planning to do some polymer clay modelling, and thought about using different armatures & filler from wire and wadded aluminum foil.  Would carved pine or balsa scraps work, I wonder?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Cork will survive the Sculpey baking process?  That's good to know!  I've been planning to do some polymer clay modelling, and thought about using different armatures & filler from wire and wadded aluminum foil.  Would carved pine or balsa scraps work, I wonder?

When I baked some sculpy on a pine base, the sap started to ooze out the sides....

Just a heads up...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

oh- that's not what I meant and I'm not sure what would happen if I baked the cork...  I meant I would remove the cork and bake the bits.  I just wanted to try to cut down on the amount of sculpey I used! 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Corporea said:

oh- that's not what I meant and I'm not sure what would happen if I baked the cork...  I meant I would remove the cork and bake the bits.  I just wanted to try to cut down on the amount of sculpey I used! 

Ah, well.  I may still experiment with balsa scraps encased in the Sculpey, or form heavy aluminum foil around a balsa wood framework, sculpt the model, then pull the Sculpey and aluminum foil from the balsa framework just before baking.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      This is La Charra a wonderful bust from Creepytables Miniatures.

I cleaned some mold lines.
      From the look of it the hat needs some work with putty, will attend to that later.

I have decided the Skulls on the base will be sugarskulls.
      The snake is a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
      La Charra will get some facepaint in the Dia de Muertos style.

I'm not sure about her hair yet.
      Blackish Blue?
      Greenish?
      Red/purple?

Need to think about it, any suggestions welcome.

I haven't decided about the patterns of her facepaint yet, there are a lot great ideas out there.

Here are some inspirational pics.

• By Sophie was taken
      Opened this one up and got it primed when I noticed a very significant case of mold-slippage. The details on her right side and left arm just didn’t line up, and I don’t have the skill to file/green stuff it away. So, rather than weep and save the mini for a melt table, she became practice! This ended up being a combination of speedpaint, demimetallic experimentation, and basing attempt, 3-4 hours total work including lots of futzing with paint mixes on my palette. The results:

Oh, and I made her a Dark Elf to try more white hair.

The purple metal is Royal Purple and Filigree Silver, mixed in varying degrees. Other metallics tended to un-purple the mix too much (except New Gold, but that’s a different look). I think she’s supposed to have gauntlets, but due to the casting issues these became cloth sleeves.

In the end she turned out far better than expected, so I’m glad I didn’t give up. One less potential resident of the shelf of shame. Comments and critiques welcome, as always.
    • By Cyradis
      I started her to demo eyes for a friend. She will be a casual and relaxed figure instead of intense nitpicking. She's still in the stage of blocking out shadows and highlights on the skin. 

• By Cyradis
      I got this to be my first bust to paint, sourced from Figone. CMPA had the "Bust a Move" challenge, so I finally painted him up. Yep, first bust! Next time I'll try a human or humanoid. 

Mounting him was kinda a nuisance, but I did something basic. He has a magnet on his back, and I greenstuffed a magnet to a nail. I can change the base later if I want. He's the first of my limited palette challenges, and I used blue because blue is a pretty easy one and I thought he'd do well with it. I smooth blended the face, and semi-smooth blended the mane, and went back for fur texture with a tone just one or two steps off of the layer beneath it. I imagined him as a lion day dreaming of a fantasy world, and a bit whimsical. 

Eyes: NMM Gold Triad (Shadow, Base, Highlight), Dragon White, Pure Black, S75 Tindalos Red. 
      The Majority of Stuff: Pure White, Ghost White, Morning After Blues, Sky Blue, Dragon Blue (base fur color), Midnight Blue, Nightmare Black, Vallejo Game Color Black Ink. 

• By Cyradis
      I painted this one in Fall/Winter for @Jay for the 2017 Secret Santa. He said he was playing a martial artist in a tabletop campaign, so I gave him "Bruce Lee". Bruce Lee has some classic yellow and black pants, so I changed the black for red for flair. To avoid ketchup-and-mustard (and the original pants color is Mustard Yellow), I popped some doodles onto the belt. I did intense shading on the skin to make it clear that the dude is made of muscles. The yellow is shaded with Arbuckles Brown from Scale 75, which is pretty much a brown-purple, through Reaper Mustard Yellow, to Scale 75 Hykey Yellow, and Reaper Linen White. I kept the base minimal for ease of use in Jay's game, and gave the base some extra sealant, anticipating handling. 

• Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)