Knight of the Dinner Table

Live
Gloomhaven (Second Printing)

70 posts in this topic

If you missed the first Gloomhaven Kickstarter (and retail sold out quickly) here is your chance. I backed that game the first time around and could not be happier with the results. Warning ... that box is heavy ...

Free shipping to Canada?  That's quite a perk for what appears to be a 20 (???) pound box.  Is it really that heavy?

Interresting. I see the creature/monsters are standees, is there a list available I can perview to see if I can fill them out with my Reaper Bones?

3 hours ago, Leader of the Rats said:

Interresting. I see the creature/monsters are standees, is there a list available I can perview to see if I can fill them out with my Reaper Bones?

Possibly not - I understand it's a bit of a Legacy game, so what you run into can be a surprise.

I passed on this the first time, but I'm in this go-round!

Well, I am in. I will try and make time tomorrow to figure out what is meant by playing them game along with the Kickstarter. Sounds fun.

I see Career and Battle goal cards and some Locked envelopes as well as Event Cards. Anyone with the game, is there Character development to the game as well? It looks like an improved HeroQuest type game which appeals to my interrests.

Yep. Read the reviews on BGG. Characters can improve the cards in their decks with stickers.

Each character has got a battle goal for each battle and an overall lifetime goal. Reaching a battle goal earns you "ticks" with which you can buy certain abilities or perks for that character. They also level up, being able to replace cards in their deck with more powerful cards, gaining more life etc. As ced said, you can even improve those cards further by putting stickers on them (so that AOE spells affect more enemies, other abilities do more damage etc).

If you accomplish your lifetime goal, your character retires and the game tells you which advanced character you now have unlocked.

1 person likes this

I saw this at one of my board game meetups and it looks sweet.  Lots of good reviews.  Second printing means a quicker turnaround.  

Yeah, I'm in.  

I'm not familiar with the concept of "Legacy" games.  Is this one?  In short: can the game be played again, or would that be kind of pointless?

3 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

I'm not familiar with the concept of "Legacy" games.  Is this one?  In short: can the game be played again, or would that be kind of pointless?

Well, I haven't played a lot.  And I understand that unlike other Legacy games, it's quite possible to just keep track of changes to the game state and re-set back, unlike other games that may require you to tear up cards or change the board.

The basic idea of a Legacy game is that it's a campaign where previous actions on the game directly influence future actions, and future events in the game.  This is a good fit for a campaign-based fantasy game like Gloomhaven.  You may well think, 'well, what if I want to run it again', but my understanding is that there's many many hours of enjoyment in a given campaign to the point where once you're done, you may well be tired of the game. :)

This is reflected in Gloomhaven by the fact that there are hidden characters that you don't start out knowing about - he's even blurred artwork for the standees in the kickstarter - as well as upcoming adventures that no doubt are hidden.  Also, as part of the game you adjust your character's action and other decks, and mark the board to indicate which adventures you've completed.

I'm not an expert on Gloomhaven - a lot of this is things that I've picked up on while listening about it.  More true legacy games are games like Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy, where you may well destroy a section of the board due to a biological outbreak of some kind - but with my family's health problems, I haven't tried playing any of those.

So, in short, if you're careful about keeping track of things, you can play it again, I think.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply.  The idea of a Legacy game where you "have" to tear up a card or deface the board in some way is a new one to me.  I suppose the idea is that this "permanent" decision affects how it feels to play the game.  But I don't get it personally.  I suppose you have to try it to know what it's like.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan d'Lyon
      Expansion sets for the Blood and Plunder tabletop game.  Live on Kickstarter.

About this project
      Blood is on the horizon! The iron grip of Iberian Domination is eclipsing the 17th century Caribbean as the world races to seize its spoils. Join the emerging Dutch Republic as it battles for its place among the established European powers or defy foreign incursion as a Darien King in this expansion to Blood and Plunder, No Peace Beyond the Line.
      No Peace Beyond the Line is the first major expansion for the Blood and Plunder miniatures game. This expansion will revolve around the No Peace Beyond the Line book that will feature:
      Optional rules for playing games at a greater scale or with more than two players A campaign system Special characters that players will be able to add to units New units and factions for the existing nationalities New nationalities including the Dutch and Native Caribbeans New ships: Piragua, Fluyt and  the Galleon!  Factions for expanded nationalities such as Danes, Swedes, Prussians, and Portuguese This Kickstarter allows us to raise the funding needed to expand our product line to this scale in a short period of time as opposed to having slow, continuous releases. Firelock Games is excited to have the opportunity to continue expanding the world and timeline of Blood and Plunder in order to create a more exciting and expansive line for its player base.
    • By Gadgetman!
      The People at Antarctic Press is at it again...  
      May the Farce be with them in their endeavor of creating cool T-shirts...   

Hurry up to pledge, there's only 4 days left.
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
       They are 54mm scale miniatures cast in high quality resin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859512613/bloodpeak-barbarians

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
      War of the Cross is a four to seven player diplomatic strategy game that tells the story of the last decade of a terrible war that raged across Théah for thirty years. You must muster all your skills to command one of seven Nations to victory in a game of shifting politics, dangerous alliances and tactical skill. Can you lead armies, navies and Heroes to win the day and bring an end to the bloodiest war in Théah’s history?
      Created by award-winning designers David Williams, Luke Peterschmidt and myself (John Wick!), War of the Cross unites the original design team for Legends of the Five Rings with the production team for 7th Sea: Second Edition, featuring art direction by Marissa Kelly, layout by Thomas Deeny, and production and development by Mark Diaz Truman. Join us for the first board game set in the 7th Sea: Second Edition universe!

• By SamuraiJack

About this project

A long time ago, in the fantastical land of Farenhell, the enigmatic city of Gormalak endured its darkest hour. Change came to this grand and sprawling city as the walls moved to reveal a giant network of underground passages and endless galleries. And so this labyrinth, known only as Infragorma, gave up its secrets … and its denizens. A myriad of creatures burst forth from this subterranean maze and sought Gormalak’s destruction. That dark age, filled with war and magic, honour and treachery, would be remembered as the Circle of Blood: a time where the great heroes and brotherhoods of Farenhell fought for the future of Gormalak.
      The city of Gormalak is the most ancient of all in the Great Continent. Erected by an extinct wizard lineage, the wise and powerful Gordmunds, it grew over the centuries in admiration and respect to the point of becoming an ambitious and arrogant city. The sacred government council, known as the Paradox, was formed by the seven elderly wizards, who declared one day, war onto the most powerful and influent nation, known as the Mountsea. This strong human empire wouldn’t ignore the wizard’s insolence and counterattacked with a bloody and atrocious battle that condemned both, Gormalak and wizards, to the absolute forgetfulness. After several centuries, the deserted city was discover by a few wanderers that decided to gradually reconstruct walls and silent alleys, making its streets flourish and become full of life once again. The ancient Gormalak was then established as the City State of Gormalak, a new power that even great kingdoms respected and it has remained so since.

Circle of Blood is a miniature game that reproduces tactical battles of two or more squads of Adventurers called Brotherhoods. The players are in charge of a group of brave heroes or villains that come from different regions of Farenhell. These unalike Adventurers will have to defend the city from the dark events which surround it, or maybe take advantage of this chaos to provoke terror and crimes during the missions created by this game.
      Fight against other players  
      Fight with your friends against the AI  
      Create your own Brotherhood or take one of the Official brotherhoods 25 Occupations More than 100 Spells & Talents 10 Experience Levels Interactive Missions AI System   

• Who's Online   34 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)