Knight of the Dinner Table

Gloomhaven (Second Printing)

3 hours ago, Leader of the Rats said:

Interresting. I see the creature/monsters are standees, is there a list available I can perview to see if I can fill them out with my Reaper Bones?

Possibly not - I understand it's a bit of a Legacy game, so what you run into can be a surprise.

I passed on this the first time, but I'm in this go-round!

Well, I am in. I will try and make time tomorrow to figure out what is meant by playing them game along with the Kickstarter. Sounds fun.

I see Career and Battle goal cards and some Locked envelopes as well as Event Cards. Anyone with the game, is there Character development to the game as well? It looks like an improved HeroQuest type game which appeals to my interrests.

Each character has got a battle goal for each battle and an overall lifetime goal. Reaching a battle goal earns you "ticks" with which you can buy certain abilities or perks for that character. They also level up, being able to replace cards in their deck with more powerful cards, gaining more life etc. As ced said, you can even improve those cards further by putting stickers on them (so that AOE spells affect more enemies, other abilities do more damage etc).

If you accomplish your lifetime goal, your character retires and the game tells you which advanced character you now have unlocked.

• Like 1

I saw this at one of my board game meetups and it looks sweet.  Lots of good reviews.  Second printing means a quicker turnaround.  

Yeah, I'm in.  

3 minutes ago, Carnacki the Ghost Finder said:

I'm not familiar with the concept of "Legacy" games.  Is this one?  In short: can the game be played again, or would that be kind of pointless?

Well, I haven't played a lot.  And I understand that unlike other Legacy games, it's quite possible to just keep track of changes to the game state and re-set back, unlike other games that may require you to tear up cards or change the board.

The basic idea of a Legacy game is that it's a campaign where previous actions on the game directly influence future actions, and future events in the game.  This is a good fit for a campaign-based fantasy game like Gloomhaven.  You may well think, 'well, what if I want to run it again', but my understanding is that there's many many hours of enjoyment in a given campaign to the point where once you're done, you may well be tired of the game. :)

This is reflected in Gloomhaven by the fact that there are hidden characters that you don't start out knowing about - he's even blurred artwork for the standees in the kickstarter - as well as upcoming adventures that no doubt are hidden.  Also, as part of the game you adjust your character's action and other decks, and mark the board to indicate which adventures you've completed.

I'm not an expert on Gloomhaven - a lot of this is things that I've picked up on while listening about it.  More true legacy games are games like Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy, where you may well destroy a section of the board due to a biological outbreak of some kind - but with my family's health problems, I haven't tried playing any of those.

So, in short, if you're careful about keeping track of things, you can play it again, I think.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  The idea of a Legacy game where you "have" to tear up a card or deface the board in some way is a new one to me.  I suppose the idea is that this "permanent" decision affects how it feels to play the game.  But I don't get it personally.  I suppose you have to try it to know what it's like.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Smokestack
      New Kickstarter starting in November

Mythic Games aims at creating and developing high quality games, combining great mechanics massively play tested and demoed in public with spectacular visuals and miniatures designed by world renowned artists.
      Monolith (click) instantly became a reference in the world of high quality miniatures board games with Conan, which raised over $3.3 million on Kickstarter.
      Monolith and Mythic Games joined forces to co-publish Mythic Battles: Pantheon, which will soon hit Kickstarter

Looks like you control a God (giant sized) and its faction (human sized).

Minis look nice

Live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon?ref=user_menu
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      This is a campaign to fund the launch of a set of 28mm Shambling Mound models for RPG and tabletop games. I have sculpted two adult Shamblers and a young Shambler. Initially the two adults will be offered for the campaign.
      If we are able to hit the £1000 stretch goal for the campaign it will unlock the Young Shambler miniature.
      If unlocked this figure will be added FREE to all backers.
      This is a World Wide campaign with the postage as follows:
      United Kingdom 4GBP, Europe 5GBP and Rest of the World 6GBP.
      Campaign Rewards.
      There are 3 reward levels.
      Supporter. If you would like to back the campaign without receiving any of the rewards you can use this pledge level.
      Lone Shambler! Choose this pledge if you would like one of the two Shambling Mould models. Choose from either SM 1: Shambler Walking or SM 2: Shambler Attacking.
      Double Trouble! Choose this pledge level if you would like both SM 1 and SM 2 Shambling Mound sculpts.
      The Models.
      The Shambling Mound models will be cast in high quality grey resin. They have been designed to fit on either a 40mm square or round base.

SM 2: Shambler Attacking is a two part model and will need assembly. Use superglue to attach seperate arm.
      Stretch goal!
      We start the campaign with this initial stretch goal to aim for. If we get to the goal of £1000 the the Young Shambler will be unlocked and added FREE to all pledges. Additional Young Shambler models can be added for £2.

• By Beagle
      Who Are we?
      Antediluvian Miniatures are new company producing an ever expanding range of 28mm miniatures for the war gamer, collector and role player. You can see our existing miniatures at www.antediluvianminiatures.com
      The Plan.
      We would like to add to our ever expanding range of unique and unusual figures by producing this range of Medieval Devils and Demons inspired by the freakish illustrated manuscripts of the medieval period! 
      These figures are sculpted by Andrew May ( Demons ), Ian Mountain ( Witch ), and Jo Brumby ( Terrence the Goat ). We think these will be great fun and an unusual addition for fantasy wargames, skirmish and role playing games. There are all 28mm scale, cast in metal- they will come with plastic bases supplied.

If the campaign goes well we have some extra characters and a potential terrain feature we'll add in as stretch goals and freebies.

More details of the pledges and locked figures are below.
      What do you get. 
      all the are figures metal cast and supplied with bases. Figures are 28mm scale.

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I saw that Stonehaven just launched another kickstarter!

Stonehaven's Giants

Huge Humanoids and Creatures for your adventurers to encounter and to bulk out your RPG dungeon or tabletop wargame armies!
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Because the best bits of your miniature collection are the bits you sculpt yourself
      We want to put a special BASIUS COMMUNITY pad in the hands of every tabletop gaming club in the world
      Since launching our first BASIUS Kickstarter project (now known as BASIUS ONE), thousands of gamers have used BASIUS to aid & develop their sculpting skills as well as customise & awesomify* their miniature collections. During this time we have had to move BASIUS out of the garage and into the Industrial Estate!  The BASIUS team has grown since then, and now includes the same family of four sculpting gamers that created BASIUS all those years ago and the family of experienced casters at History Craft.
      We now have ten complete collections of 12 themed 50mm square BASIUS pads prototyped. Some are favourites from previous Kickstarter projects, some have been altered and updated, and the rest are brand new. We need your help to fund their creation on an industrial scale!
      COMMUNITY
      Community is important - in gaming, just like in the rest of life.
      We love gaming with our friends in our local geek-hobby store and we initially met many of our friends purely because of that community. Friendly gaming clubs and hobby stores that go out of their way to host gaming communities are awesome, and we want to help to increase that community awesomeness.
      Kevin Jackson, from the online community, sent us this photo showing how he based his miniatures using BASIUS It stands to reason that if a person wants to do something positive for others in life then it's best to do something they are actually good at, and feedback from all four of our previous BASIUS projects has shown us that we have become rather good at BASIUS-ing**.
      OUR GOAL
      With this focus of community being central to what BASIUS has become, our goal for this latest Kickstarter is quite a big one... Alongside the release of our 10 themed BASIUS collections, we want to provide every tabletop gaming club in the world with a special BASIUS COMMUNITY pad, so that all gamers can use it and help each other to use it, to develop their own and each other's sculpting.

WE NEED YOU
      It would be awesome if every gamer & hobbyist reading this... in every town worldwide, could pledge to get hold of a pad or two in this kickstarter, make some bases with them, show their sculpting to their gaming club and ask their club chairperson to contact us to get a BASIUS COMMUNITY pad for their club.
      Tyler, from the online community, kindly sent us this photo. These base textures are made using just BASIUS, 'Green-Stuff' and paint - thats it.
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)