Knight of the Dinner Table

Live
Gloomhaven (Second Printing)

70 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Also, FFG stopped making $100 coffin boxes *years* ago, although RuneWars Miniatures have a price tag of $100 MSRP. 

They still have plenty of $100 games.

Imperial Assault $100

Star Wars Armada $100

Runewars $100 (you mentioned that one)

Star Wars Rebellion $100

Their main price point now seems to be $80 tho.  They do go cheaper with the core boxes for their LCGs, but they play the dirty trick of making you need to buy multiple copies of it in order to build full decks. So sure you can try out the new L5R LCG for only $40, but you're going to have to drop $120 total to get a full playset of cards for your faction.

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Chrome said:

Their main price point now seems to be $80 tho.  They do go cheaper with the core boxes for their LCGs, but they play the dirty trick of making you need to buy multiple copies of it in order to build full decks. So sure you can try out the new L5R LCG for only $40, but you're going to have to drop $120 total to get a full playset of cards for your faction.

It makes sense to me.  I'm a big fan of L5R, but I'm not sold on the new game, so I like that I can get a taste of the game for $40 now, and then see if I'm going to be playing it actively enough to invest more in it.

Similarly, I only got one set for the Arkham Horror card game for now, and if I find I need a second to get a 'full set' later on, then I can always spend the money then.

My favorite game is Kingdom Death (makes the entire discussion of cost quite silly) and my next favorite is Cave Evil (which was exceedingly limited print).

So I might not be the best opinion on buying games sensibly :D

5 people like this

Just recieved my pledge manager. Pledged for 1$, I just postponed my decision. Now do I pick up the game or not... what to do, what to do...

1 person likes this

Received my own pledge manager - in my case, I added on the solo adventures.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, mistergreenwood said:

Just recieved my pledge manager. Pledged for 1$, I just postponed my decision. Now do I pick up the game or not... what to do, what to do...

I'm in the same situation. The game looks like a lot of fun but it's also quite heavy. I might spend the money on more RPG books. The choice isn't easy because the reviews are almost universally praising.

Personal pluses: game looks fun, fascinating game world with unique player races, loads of content, the creator seems like a straight-up awesome person, no KS exclusives (love that!), no struggle to paint & store another 100+ minis.

Personal minuses: rules heavy (my brain isn't what it used to be, seriously), takes a big table to play (not sure it would even fit properly on my table), I already have a number of great games that we still haven't played yet...

Well, any members of this board who live in Denver, let me know and we can try and set up a game night when it arrives!

Finalized my pledge for the game and solo play.

1 person likes this

Game and solo booklet as well. I hope the solo rules are popular and foster more content.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The MSRP will be $140, so with the OLGS discount and sales, it might still go for $100, hitting the free shipping threshold. The game does have some criticism (repetitive objectives, no looting at the end of a scenario, no gold sharing), and I have a queue of games to play, so I'll wait for a sale or play someone else's game to see if I like it. One BGG'er posted her miniature proxies for this game and it's a *lot* of work, though no more than what RPG'ers go through for a prewritten module. I like games with miniatures (surprise), so also passed on this game because there are no plans to create miniatures, some which are difficult to proxy, for this game. With Mantic, CMON, Reaper, and Dwarven Forge on KS, I have to postpone my Gloomhaven purchase for later!

Edited by ced1106

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About this project

Everlasting Wet Palette: A must have for miniature painters
      Painting Zombies, orks, robots and all kind of monsters from a nightmare can be a lot of fun ! To paint miniatures, you need a Wet Palette to keep your paint moisturised. Today there is no straight forward solution on the market. That's why we created Everlasting Wet Palette, with best in class hydration system and easy to use and to carry airtight case. 
      It's actually so good that it is approved by Pro Painters all around the world
      With Everlasting Wet Palette, you will save your acrylic paint, save your time and be able to master painting techniques like a pro. Stand back, relax and focus on what's important: enjoying your painting sessions.

Because acrylic paint dry really really fast! So fast, you can't even take a short break or perform advanced techniques !  Everlasting wet palette is a must-have to enjoy your painting session :
      Save paint: the paint won't dry out during your painting session Start and stop at will: you can stop painting for a few minutes, hours or days, and find again workable paints when you come back Achieve advanced technics: thanks to Everlasting stable hydration system, and our smooth surface, you will be able to perform advanced technics like Glaze, Gradients, Blending, 2 Brush Blending And it's easy to use: it works straight out of the box, and the case, wells and brush holders were designed for your to enjoy your miniature painting!  
      Painter (5,9" x 7,9"): easy to store and carry, small to medium working space
      Studio (7,9" x 11,8"): extra large for Pros and Enthusiasts, medium to large working space

No bleeding No drying No overflowing Perfect to master advanced painting techniques  
       Your paint stays wet for hours when working, for days if you close the lid! You can stop and start your painting session at will.
    • By Iron
      Dear pilots:
      Next Tuesday, 19th September at 3 PM EST we´ll relaunch the Iron Wars campaign.
      There´s going to be a one reward and a 48 hours early bird. 
      The reward is going to contain the deluxe version of the previous campaign, the exploration mode, 10 competitive missions, 4 Iron Mech cockpit protection parts and 4 Steel Mech cockpit protection parts, and 8 Mech pilots. 

• By JuliaViolin
      Dear Friends,
      I wanted to invite you to join a very special album release project - "Legends: Fantasy Violin" live album CD release, where we are performing together with The Claflin Hill Symphony Orchestra and New World Chorale. "Legends: Fantasy Violin" album, originally written for violin and MIDI orchestra, was also funded here on Kickstarter, and you could download it at <commerce link removed> and join the live album release project at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/okrusko/legends-fantasy-violin-live-cd-release I hope that you will enjoy this music, and I am so excited about this release!
      THANK YOU for making it all possible!!!
      Julia <3 <3 <3

• By Shieldwolf Miniatures
      KS-3 teaser released today. Too soon to kindly ask for a new thread to open, so I'm -politely- dropping it here... 

KS-3 video teaser on YouTube
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      When we launched the Munchkin Special Delivery earlier this year, we made an error and underestimated demand for the box. After we launched the box on Warehouse 23, it sold out in five hours and left us searching for a way to get more boxes into the hands of Munchkin players. 
      Thanks to your support on Kickstarter, we shipped out over 800 more loaded Munchkin Special Delivery boxes. We were happy, you were happy, and it didn't take long for the requests for another box to flood our mailboxes and social media channels. 
      We are delighted to announce the Munchkin Holiday Grab Box, a pack of Munchkin goodies that is our answer to your demands for more. And to make things a bit more fun, we are also producing an exclusive Munchkin bookmark for the box . . . and we're even offering two different box sizes! 
      And both boxes come with the Twelve Bonuses of Christmas printed on the box!
      We'll also throw in lots of promos and random Munchkin dice!
      The Munchkin Holiday Grab Box is carefully packed by hand and will include a combination of expansions and/or blister packs, accessories, and a Munchkin rule printed right on the box. This is a special box containing over $100 worth of Munchkin loot for only $60 (includes shipping; U.S. only)!
      Need more Munchkin this holiday season? The Santa-Sized Holiday Grab Box is packed with $200 worth of loot for $120 (includes shipping; U.S. only).
      Can't decide? Get both! And in the Signed tier, one of your bookmarks will be signed by Steve Jackson himself.
      Do you need even more Holiday Boxes? After the Kickstarter rewards ship, we will open up a limited number for sale on Warehouse 23.
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)