Trazzer

My first minis

These are very nice for beginning miniatures.  

Your color choices are clear and effective.  You have good brush control and each area of color is cleanly defined.  You're doing a good job with all those tiny details (I like the bloodshot veins in the beholder's main eye).

Learning to use washes would probably help add some definition and clarity in the nooks and crannies.  

You may or may not also wish to look a bit into the painting of eyes.  These figures are good and expressive, and you did a really impressive job giving Cassie an expressive face with very simple eye painting.  But if you are interested there are lots of ways to bring more to tiny faces.

• Like 8

Welcome to the forums and to the world of mini painting! I agree with the others that you demonstrate good brush control and color choices. Solid foundations to build your artistic style upon. Don't be afraid to ask for advice here. Everyone is very nice and helpful. I think my painting has improved heaps from when I started posting here 2 years ago.

• Like 1

That's amazing work for anyone just starting out. I especially like your color choices for the goblins. They have a much more realistic look to them than the more colorful ones that I painted based off of the source art. The black mouths and tongue are especially effective at making them look like the filthy little buggers they are. Same goes for that ochre skin tone. It really works.

Gotta say, you really know how to make an entrance! Welcome to the forums. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!

Looks great, a wonderful start!

Keep showing your work and have fun!!

• Like 1

The Crystal on the Gnome's Spear/Staff is a standout for me! Took me forever to get Crystal/Gemstones painted that I didn't Despise or were just plain Embarassed to show off.

I also agree a bit of a wash/Glazing would be a good next step to try. Maybe try highlighting a couple of things too. The beholder in particular would benifit from a light Dry-Brushing or a bit of highlights on the tentacle bits at the bottom or the armor plates at the top. At the miniature size, the painter needs to add most to all of the shading that a full sized version of the subject would have to make it look "Realistic". It takes a while to get this if you don't know it starting out. One thing I needed to know when I was starting out. Now I know and Knowing is half the battle! (the other half is letting others know about it too;) )

GF

• Like 1

Your brush control is better than mine. I would be challenged to paint the veins in eye. 

I absolutely love the skin color on the goblin. 

• Like 1

Those are awesome!  Welcome to the hobby and the boards, and remember to have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone :)

I bet I'm a little afraid to "overdo it" when I do highlights and washing. Messed up the whasing a cupple of times, but it will get better overtime :)

Wasn't easy taking a good pictures of the minis, should have a better light source. But here is another of the Beholder.

beholder_2.thumb.jpg.53c2f1e94865c61c96bfe652a3d45176.jpg

• Like 7

Washes often make the base coats on minis look bad or dirty right after applying them. It's the highlighting steps after the wash dries that bring the figures back into shape. Honestly though, for most figures I don't use washes. You can always just paint the darker recesses carefully with regular thinned down paint. If you like to use washes, I highly recommend looking up "Sorastro's Painting" videos on youtube. He has a lot of terrific videos and uses a number of different washes. I love Reaper paints and have a couple hundred of them, they rock, but I don't have any Reaper washes. Citadel, Army Painter and Secret Weapon have the most highly recommended washes. I'd look for those. 

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't forget Coat D'arms washes. They're also pretty spiffy.

So right. I only have the OLD ones they made for Citadel that I bought around 1993. I still have 7 or 8 of them. I don't know if the modern Coat D'arms washes are the same as the ones from the 90s, but the old ones are pretty solid.