fanguad

50321: Wild West Missionary

11 posts in this topic

OMG! (No pun intended!) Love Jesus or else! Haha! You're right, the crazy eyes work for him!

4 people like this

He is quite obsessed isn't he?

very good job!

Posted (edited)

The Eurythmics' lyrics came to mind immediately: "Don't mess with a missionary man!"

Well the missionary man / He's got god on his side.
He's got the saints and apostles / Backin' up from behind.
Black eyed looks / From those bible books.
He's a man with a mission / Got a serious mind.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
5 people like this

He looks like a Phil Foglio character with that expression and those eyes.

1 person likes this

He looks like a more zealous member of Imus' First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship. His WONDERFULLY expressive face make the miniature. Your brushwork & basing are OUTSTANDING. VERY WELL DONE! 

That's awesome!  Is this a Reaper fig, or one you found on the melt table?  I'd love to find a copy of him.

2 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

That's awesome!  Is this a Reaper fig, or one you found on the melt table?  I'd love to find a copy of him.

This is a Reaper mini, although it doesn't look like he's currently available (or even showing up in the store).  He's resin, which probably cause supply-chain issues for them.

He may have been a limited run at one of the ReaperCons a while back.

Now that's a real fire and brimstone preacher!

Very good work on him; especially the crazy eyes.

Very impressive indeed. Love the NMM and the crazy eyes.. everything about this mini cries perfection! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Marvin
      You know how I'm always asking for a deserty barbariany roguey elf wielding a spiked chain? This is what happens when you don't give it to me, sculptors and companies. I ruin your sculpts. In this case, Bobby Jackson's Irith, Deathseeker Hero.

~10 years ago, I created a character concept, a barbarian rogue assassin from a desert moon. Probably not that great an idea; whatever. I loved it. Didn't wind up getting to play him, but the name became my main Internet handle for a long time, and I always kept the concept in mind. This past winter I joined a game, decided he'd be a perfect fit, and made him anew. Bought a mini to mod to represent him at the table! But again didn't get to play him. Alas.

But I had a mini for him this time. I'm not in love with the figure, but it seemed like a good one for converting. And it was close as I could get on the look. I guess. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, honestly. I feel like I could've done a lot worse. I cut off the original's weapons. I used jewelry chain for the chain, a hacked-up jewelry bit bead thingy for the spike, and another jewelry bead thingy for the ball. Drilled out hands, wound up having to cut them, and closed them again over the chain. Pretty simple, pretty ghetto, but here we be. Right eye turned out better than the left, I thought. I had him finished a while ago, but I was waiting on a base. It's a desert base from Micro Arts Studio. Thought it fit the theme pretty well.

Thanks for looking!
    • By Gargs
      Finally finished this guy up for my current campaign I am running.  This was a real labor of love for me.  I absolutely love the model and loved working on it even though it seemed as though nearly everything that could go wrong, did.  From missing part (quickly replaced because Reaper is awesome) to paint cracking, to one antler wanting to continuously fall off, to problems with the basing (caused mostly by my trying to rush last night to get it done in time for today's session).  All in all I am pretty happy with this guy considering my current skill level (not very high).  My only regret was not noticing that the right eye socket (left as you look at it) on the helm had a bunch of extra metal debris in it until it was too late.  Couldn't get it off without risking breaking the model and unfortunately that prevented me from giving it the green glow that is in the other eye socket and where the nose would have been (to represent magic in the helm).  I do wish I had more time to better base the model but I just ran out of time.  I also realized the value in basing it first and painting the model on a separate holder (cork, bottle cap, etc.), and will definitely be doing so with future models!  Regardless, he can now die with honor this afternoon!

At any rate, thanks for looking and as always I appreciate any comments or suggestions for improvements.  I am always looking for new techniques or ideas on how to improve my current techniques since I am still so new.

WIP can be found here.  Special thanks go out to @Xherman1964 for all his suggestions as I was painting this guy up.

• By OneBoot
      This was my very first commission!  One of MrBoot's coworkers was wanting a painted figure for gaming purposes, and my husband volunteered my services, for a small fee. I was more than happy to oblige. 

This was a (for me) fairly quick and dirty paint job. I spent maybe 4 hours total on it, with the first hour spent just prepping (washing, drying, trimming mold lines, priming, waiting for primer to dry, etc.) My goal was "decent tabletop" since it was intended for gaming, and the guy only gave me $15 for the mini+paint job. I did email him pictures of a couple of my other quick paint jobs to let him know what to expect before I started, and he said that he was happy with that level of detail.

I'm happy with my color choices, and I at least made an attempt at highlighting, so while it's rough in these close-up pictures, it doesn't look half bad at arm's length. I wish I'd taken a close-up of his face, though; since it's so shaded by his hood, and won't even be visible on a gaming board, I didn't bother painting an actual face face. It's more of an impressionistic shaded blobs sort of face, but it looks surprisingly decent from even a short distance.

You might notice some bubbling here and there, and that's because I did a gloss sealer coat (Reaper) for durability, followed by Brush-on Sealer to make it look nicer. I've done very little with gloss sealer, and didn't discover that it bubbles a bit more than the brush-on until it was too late. It's not super obvious unless you stare at it closely, though.

I also want to note that gloss sealer is...super duper glossy. Like, seriously.

In fact, I was worried that the brush-on sealer wouldn't be able to tone it down, but a slightly thinned coat (with two coats in a few still-shiny spots) did the trick far better than I'd expected!

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how he turned out. He was a very fun sculpt to paint, and I enjoyed employing a "good enough, git 'er done" mindset.

Main colors used
      (since I was focused on going fast, I didn't do my usual "take notes as I go", so I'm recreating this from memory + the bunch of paint bottles still on my desk)
      Robe: Ritterlich blue, Ultramarine blue, Ultramarine highlight
      Cloak: Rich green, Christmas wreath, either Leaf green or Grass green
      Skin: Leather brown, Elf flesh, Caucasian flesh
      Various leathers and woods: Mahogany brown, Oiled leather, Golden blonde?
      Boots: Brown liner, Dark elf highlight
      Hair: Coal black, Powderburn brown, Golden blonde
      Arrow fletching and gems: Carrot top red, Lava orange, Explosion orange
      Various metallic objects: Tarnished steel, Ancient bronze, Dragon bronze
      Ground: Drybrush of: Highland moss, Pale lichen, then either Leaf green or Grass green

I admit to being rather astonished at just how many paint bottles I used on this one simple project, but in my defense, since this was my very first commission, I wanted it to look at least somewhat nice (in the hopes that others in his gaming group might be interested in the future ). Plus, I really had a whole lot of fun painting this guy. I looooove Bobby Jackson's sculpts, he always has so many fun details to play with, without being exceptionally fiddly.

After it was delivered, MrBoot reported that the recipient was very pleased with how it turned out, and was "super surprised at all of the details" I'd painted on it. Apparently, he's used to prepaints.  We actually ran into him at the grocery store a week later, and he again expressed how much he liked it, and how detailed it was, and that other people in his group might be interested in getting painted minis for themselves!

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By Patrik Strom
      Hosilla from Reaper's Pathfinder miniature line. Or the curious case of the miniature that looks better in the pictures than in real life!

I painted this some while ago (last august) to be a stand in for Talis, a villain in the Horde of the Dragon Queen DnD adventure. I was rather pleased with the result except for how the face turned out. I think it looks similar to those "doll faces" that you see on the Wizkid produced prepainted DnD and Pathfinder miniatures. Strangly enough that doesn't show up in the photo. So this is the first miniature I've painted where the photo is better than the actual result :D

• By Gargs
      Here's my latest newbie WIP.  Trying to take some of what I learned from the Bones LTPK2 and apply it here.  These little guys are for my current Pathfinder campaign.  As you can see here, I've started on the prototype to see if I can get the skin coloration (primarily) and the rest of the scheme looking more or less right.  I intend to have fun with these guys as they are meant to just be sort of the red-headed step children of the fey world (at least among the evil fey anyway).  Needed two sets of these guys, so normally you only get 3 in a package.

Will get around to dotting the eyes of the prototype mite, and am thinking a bright green for the cloak, but not sure how that will look next to the blue skin.  Trying to avoid red though simply because red and blue are always my go to colors, and want something a little different this time around.  Going with the blue skin though because per the lore, they are in fact blue.  Think of them as evil smurfs.  ;)  Anyway, base coat on the skin is Heather Blue for those who are wondering.

Thanks for taking a look!

• Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)