fanguad

50321: Wild West Missionary

OMG! (No pun intended!) Love Jesus or else! Haha! You're right, the crazy eyes work for him!

• Like 4

The Eurythmics' lyrics came to mind immediately: "Don't mess with a missionary man!"

Well the missionary man / He's got god on his side.
He's got the saints and apostles / Backin' up from behind.
Black eyed looks / From those bible books.
He's a man with a mission / Got a serious mind.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 5

He looks like a Phil Foglio character with that expression and those eyes.

• Like 1

He looks like a more zealous member of Imus' First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship. His WONDERFULLY expressive face make the miniature. Your brushwork & basing are OUTSTANDING. VERY WELL DONE! 

That's awesome!  Is this a Reaper fig, or one you found on the melt table?  I'd love to find a copy of him.

2 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

That's awesome!  Is this a Reaper fig, or one you found on the melt table?  I'd love to find a copy of him.

This is a Reaper mini, although it doesn't look like he's currently available (or even showing up in the store).  He's resin, which probably cause supply-chain issues for them.

Now that's a real fire and brimstone preacher!

Very good work on him; especially the crazy eyes.

Very impressive indeed. Love the NMM and the crazy eyes.. everything about this mini cries perfection! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dks
      I've been on a painting tear since ReaperCon.  Here's one from last week. 
      Pathfinder's "Iron Gods" Adventure Path crosses over into science fiction, including robots and androids, such as the android priestess Meyanda.
      Wayne Reynolds painted the cover of the Adventure Path where Meyanda appears: click for link.
      Bobby Jackson sculpted the character.  I like what he did with this delicate sculpt.

I decided to give her a sci-fi-styled base, not my usual rock/grass/leaf palette. 
      I started with a piece of plasticard shaped like square floor-tiles, gouged out some scratches, and added some debris (a robotic "piston" of two brass rods, a "cable" of brass wire, and a few chunks of rubble that I carved from the plasticard).

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By Sophie was taken
      Trying my hand at speed painting. This was not done in one sitting, but total time was about 2.5 hours, which is less than half the time it normally takes me to paint a thing. Not perfect, but pretty darn good (for me, anyway) for the time spent. Here is the Wench:

Didn’t plan anything out beforehand; color selection was spur of the moment. Her dress is Royal Purple with Nightmare Black shadow, and some BCA Pink mixed in for highlights. Top and apron are Lantern Yellow up through Candlelight Yellow. Tanned Skin triad was used for her flesh, and various leather colors for her hair and accessorizing accessories.

Highlights didn’t really work out around her backside, but there was no time to fret over it. And you can’t really tell from the awful photo, but I finally managed to paint a decent eye.

And forgot eyebrows. Whoops.

C&C welcome.
    • By Guindyloo
      I painted this lovely lady over the last week as my first project post-Reapercon. I wanted to apply some of the things that I learned but also have fun with her. 
      She was a really great learning experience, thanks to everyone who gave me great feedback in my WIP thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77557-01450-all-hallow’s-eve/&page=1

This was my first experience “flying blind” with NMM, as on previous attempts, I’d followed the highlighting of other painters’ examples. There is no painted example in the store yet, so I had to just wing it. @Kuro Cleanbrush gave me some much appreciated advice that I’m definitely going to keep using moving forward. 

This was was my first attempt at OSL, it’s not perfect by any means, but I’m pretty pleased with it. 

Let me know what y’all think, criticism is always very much wanted - it helps me learn and improve! 

• By Metalchaos
      Here are "many" pictures of my entry for the Reaper 4th Quarterly Facebook Group Painting Contest.
      I wanted unusual colors for the armor and after painting her, I decided to call her "Pink kills".
      Shaern Female Antipaladin was scuplted by Bobby Jackson.
      The pieces of monster on the base are parts from Reaper's 03334, Creature Components and 03440, Creature Components II.

The first picture was my entry in the contest. Comments and critiques are very welcome.

• By Guindyloo
      So between the Swag/VIP bags, paints that I bought at the convention and raiding the $1 paint bin at the Reaper Factory, I came back from Reapercon with around 40 bottles of paint. So the first hobby related thing I did after returning was to reorganize my paint racks, especially since they were a ridiculous wreck because I’d torn them apart while repainting Ma’al Drakar and then even more packing up paints to bring with me to Reapercon (which was pointless since I only painted in classes lol)
      While doing so, I discovered that I also hadn’t sorted and put away my Malefic and Fairy Flesh Sets, which are Vallejo paints branded for Nocturna. I felt really inspired looking at those paints and that’s how I got going on painting this little lady. 

Something that I’m really prone to doing is making what I’m painting really laborious and it takes so long that I get sick of painting it and it either ends up on the Shelf of Shame or I slog through it and end up unhappy with the results and/or end up taking a long break from painting. I don’t want to do that to myself anymore. 

So what’s the least exciting part of painting? For me, it’s laying down basecoats. It’s boring, it takes forever, and so more figures than I’d like to admit have gone on the Shelf of Shame during the basecoating process because it just took too long and I didn’t feel inspired anymore. 
      So something that I’ve seen done a lot by painters who are far better than I is to paint sections to completion or at least near completion before moving on to the next part. That seemed beyond my capability because I thought I’d be too messy and ruin a completed part with a sloppy basecoat or just a slip of the brush. Then I realized, first of all, don’t be so sloppy then, dummy. lol Then I also realized, it’s just paint, it’s ok if you make a mistake that you have to fix. I try very hard not to be a fearful painter because I see people being fearful and it cripples progress constantly. You get stuck because you’re afraid you’re not going to use the right colour or the right technique or whatever and you end up not painting because of it. So I told myself “It’s just paint, if I make a mistake, I’ll just fix it.”

Let me tell you, letting go of that fear has made painting this so much more enjoyable and I have made more progress on her in one day than I normally would have done in a week. Elf being a fearful painter. Sure there are mistakes and some of the blending isn’t 100% where I’d like it to be. But my good friend Skeletor knows already and I need to remember “Progress, not perfection.”

So here’s where she’s at right now:

So, as usual, my lighting situation and my picture taking are terrible, so things are getting a little blown out colour-wise. Her skin is a little less grey than that in person, but it is meant to be a non-human skintone. 

Now Im going to try to remember what paints I used. Bear with me because I was just mixing things and not worrying about it. 

Skin: All paints were from the Vallejo Nocturna Malefic Flesh Set and I was following their “Blue Tones” instructions. Basecoat was Cold Flesh, first highlights with Pale Flesh, shadows with Frozen Flesh and then final highlights with White Flesh. I went back and forth a bunch of times doing half step mixes to blend. 

Eyes: Good lord. These eyes weren’t easy. Her right one is 25% covered by her hair and her left one is like 65% covered by her hair and that made it pretty difficult to do much detail. After doing the skin basecoat, I blocked in the eyes with Brown Liner, then filled in with Warcolours One Coat Beige, then I did the iris with MSP Lava Orange, Pure Black for the pupil and then only on the right one I used P3 Morrow White to put a tiny reflection dot.

Lips: MSP Fresh Blood mixed with I think a touch of the base skin colour and then probably a bit more of the base colour to make a lighter mix to make a highlight on the bottom lip. 

Dress - Purple: Basecoat of Nocturna Purple Shadow. Deepest shadows were MSP Red Liner, I also did mixes of the Purple Shadow and Red Liner to blend. Then to highlight I did mixes of the Purple Shadow with MSP Retro Elderberry (one of the new LE paints from Reapercon) and the highest highlights had MSP Spectral White added in, but I did glaze that back with Purple Shadow. 

Dress - Green: Basecoat of Nocturna Deep Forest Skin. Deepest shadows were MSP Blue Liner, with mixes with the base coat to blend. Then I did mixes with MSP Brilliant Green and eventually added very small touches of MSP Ghost White. 

Chainmail: Tiny, tiny chain mail dots. I had to take my glasses off like I was painting eyes for this. lol I started off with a basecoat of MSP Nightmare Black (all of the blue you see on her right now is Nightmare Black and will be silver NMM like the chainmail) then I used MSP Afterburn Grey (OOP Heavy Gear) mixed with a touch of Pure Black, then straight Afterburn Grey and then straight P3 Morrow White. 

Lastly I just have some of what’s going to be gold NMM basecoated with MSP NMM Gold Shadow. 

So what do y’all think? I’m not bothered by hard critique and always welcome constructive comments, so really let me know what you think. 
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)