fanguad

50321: Wild West Missionary

OMG! (No pun intended!) Love Jesus or else! Haha! You're right, the crazy eyes work for him!

• Like 4

The Eurythmics' lyrics came to mind immediately: "Don't mess with a missionary man!"

Well the missionary man / He's got god on his side.
He's got the saints and apostles / Backin' up from behind.
Black eyed looks / From those bible books.
He's a man with a mission / Got a serious mind.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 5

He looks like a Phil Foglio character with that expression and those eyes.

• Like 1

He looks like a more zealous member of Imus' First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship. His WONDERFULLY expressive face make the miniature. Your brushwork & basing are OUTSTANDING. VERY WELL DONE! 

2 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

That's awesome!  Is this a Reaper fig, or one you found on the melt table?  I'd love to find a copy of him.

This is a Reaper mini, although it doesn't look like he's currently available (or even showing up in the store).  He's resin, which probably cause supply-chain issues for them.

Now that's a real fire and brimstone preacher!

Very good work on him; especially the crazy eyes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  Continuing on with practicing OSL.  I started by undershading with dark brown and purple and highlighted up to linen white on his body and base.  I did the same thing but with black and greys on his staff.

I then added the blue for his robe, using two sets of blues.  One set has no light effect colour added.  The other set has the yellow added.  I did the shading and highlighting on the dark side with the blues that didn't have the yellow added.  I used the set with the yellow added anywhere that I thought the light was going to hit, using the undershading as a guide as to where that would be.  The yellow I mixed with the blue is also used on the orb.

Then I added the other colours (particularly the staff and the fleshtones) using the same approach of mixing up two sets of the colours to use side by side.

Overall I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.  A few of the values seem out of balance though.  Particularly parts of the staff compared to the adjacent areas on his robe.  Some of the flesh tones that are further away from the orb need to be darker still.  The part of the staff directly below the orb seems too bright overall, especially right beneath the orb.  Still a work in progress.

• By Geoff Davis
      02476: Lorna The Huntress sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  This is the P65 version.  A bit of a speedpaint in order to try out a different tartan colour scheme.  This one is based upon the Robertson Hunting Tartan.

• By Pingo
      This figure is kind of silly but I like him anyway. He came from one of the Bones Kickstarters and I felt like painting him up.

There isn't a WIP thread, but I welcome comments and questions, if anyone has any.

• By Pingo
      This is the fun Bobby Jackson sculpt 02867: Matthias the Twisted, concept art by Talin. He(?)'s a lassic rat-lovin' nosferatu type vampire with an awesome wardrobe and a great pose.

He has a lot of great details, including three tiny rats! (They are 28mm scale. They are really tiny.)

WIP thread here.
    • By Geoff Davis
      I've been working on painting tartan a bit (Ian MacAndrew Show Off)

A while ago I said I would post a step-by-step of painting a tartan(Painting Tartan).

So here it is:  02243 Robert O'Mannon sculpted by Bobby Jackson.

I started by deciding what colour tartan I would paint.  On the last project I used the Afghanistan Memorial Tartan ( Tartan reference material  ) but changed the blue to green and left off some of the highlight colours.  I've found that most patterns of tartan are really far too complicated for me to attempt to paint, so I pick out one that I can simplify into easily painted elements.  These elements often combine multiple lines from the original tartan into a single line of a similar colour.  The result is a pattern that suggests a tartan but without having to paint a lot of very fine lines.  Painting very long, fine lines is the particular challenge of painting tartan, so the fewer you can get away with the better.  So for this project I decided to use the same tartan pattern again, but to keep the blue colour and to add in the red and white lines.  This is risky because the white lines in particular can be very hard to paint smoothly and they stick out like a sore thumb when they are messy.  Mistakes will be highly visible, as you will see. 

Another consideration for selection of the tartan and the colour of tartan is the overall composition of the final miniature.  The very fine lines can be hard to notice, so adding a similar colour elsewhere on the miniature can help make the colour more easily noticed.  This is why I painted Robert's hair red and his amulet blue. 

Step 1:

Draw out the main lines for the pattern and select the colours.

I also test painted a swatch of the pattern.  From this I knew that the blue would need to have the intersection squares painted in darker or it wouldn't look right. 
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)