Pingo

Pingo compares and paints three packs of wolves

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So anyway, I started mixing up some colors for their coats. 

I've mentioned before, one of my favorite general-purpose shadowy grey mixes is a balance of Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna.  Carefully blended they become a neutral near-black.  It's not pure black (really more of a subtle super dark grape purple-grey), but unless there is some real black nearby it is close enough to fool the eye.  With just a little bit of nudging this way or that with either the blue or the brown it can become a lot of useful colors, and the addition of white can give an entire range of warm and cool greys.

In fact, I once painted a couple of frost giants using nothing but this mix and these two colors (plus white).

At the time it was a fun exercise, but I remember I was frustrated by the lack of a good warm yellow.  So I guessed that I would probably want to mix some more creamy yellows to augment the blue-brown greys for the wolves.

Oh, and I love using photo references as a way of avoiding falling into tropish painting.  This was one of the books I had out (covered with a piece of plexiglass while working to protect from paint).

DSC_0228-reference-pix.jpg.5c13bc6b2f2087603b5b5d9bacaf0aa0.jpg

Wolves have such varied blends of natural colors in their coats that I figured I could work with a lot of layers and start several of them similarly and vary them later.

To begin with I took my neutral grey and brushed it lightly on the bellies and legs of some of the wolves.  I am painting these particular ones more or less identically to start.

Reaper pewter:

DSC_0213-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3).jpg.7fd805fbd2327104fa111976a4c8044e.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg.becf9e8740a86284a882cfcc36a631b3.jpg

Reaper Bones:

DSC_0222-Bones-wolf-from-77176--Familiars.jpg.b1221a15e4c3f82d4cc9a8fb573966fe.jpgDSC_0223.jpg.0d576b29c9e825547fa34e23d151df79.jpg

RAFM:

DSC_0217-RAFM-dire-woves.jpg.ebf2f2862e0cd650bcdf7ef77f8179fb.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg.e67c27af76476dcbb99efc2e48ee9ea0.jpg

Tom Meier / Thunderbolt Mountain:

58f63ab4ccc77_DSC_0215-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf.jpg.fabf65da58b961adce052e9f8ee6bc1d.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg.eb40fcc59d3345f28d5c682b5618eb0e.jpg

Right away I could see that the leg color was too blue and would need more creamy yellow later.   No worries, though.  The cool grey left a little underneath will give some shadowy realism to the later colors.

I decided to paint one of the RAFM wolves as a black wolf, so I washed it with the pure (no white added) Ultramarine Blue-Burnt Sienna mix:

DSC_0229-RAFM-dire-wolf-black-wolf.jpg.6c060e782a0ba74c535eaaba3747d836.jpg

DSC_0230-RAFM-dire-wolf-black-wolf.jpg.e7a8573f6fcaa1d942763d15f1cea0d0.jpg

Then I blended some of that with some of the paler grey I mixed earlier to make a darker grey for the wolves' upper bodies.

Reaper Pewter:

DSC_0231-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3).jpg.d1667212d3d5c2f8ab8bad3a09504e59.jpg

Reaper Bones:

DSC_0239-Bones-wolf-from-77176--Familiars.jpg.b0198341b7a6108821ae8e12aa59bb40.jpg

Thunderbolt Mountain:

DSC_0234.jpg.381ee15bdbaad6a2a5081e6debf3425e.jpg

RAFM dire wolf:

DSC_0235-RAFM-dire-wolf.jpg.2cbffbc504a23db766a45e30cf16c7f7.jpg

Edited by Pingo
Some pictures accidentally dropped
15 people like this

Wonderful Progress!

1 person likes this

I personally enjoy blending and mixing colors and I have to say you have a nice natural tone going here.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I mixed up a drab pale buff color for the wolves' legs, and also to paint some as arctic wolves.

I had a look at photos of arctic wolves, and they aren't really "white" at all.  So I figured this color should work.

It's a mix of Yellow Oxide, Burnt Sienna, a tiny bit of Ultramarine Blue to grey it down, and a lot of Titanium White.

First I laid it in on some wolves I hadn't painted yet:

Reaper pewter:

DSC_0243A-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3)-white-wolf.jpg.673d1b9fe16635e2f0f066fad58280a0.jpg

Other Reaper pewter:

DSC_0244B-RAFM-white-wolf.jpg.99bcc8a995eb4ecac3576935be8a48d6.jpg

Tom Meier / Thunderbolt Mountain:

DSC_0246.jpg.6864a4fa688a057382b5fa5f800aa3b8.jpg

Then I brushed some of the buff color onto the legs and bellies of the grey wolves.  The blue-grey underneath shows in places.

Reaper pewter:

DSC_0249-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3).jpg.3e885dccaddf02754a6b286974c0cb9f.jpg

Reaper Bones:

DSC_0253-Bones-wolf-from-77176--Familiars.jpg.a91d0b28a0d2439decf50f35bd0c348c.jpg

RAFM:

DSC_0251-RAFM-dire-wolf.jpg.03a2bd23557c07f14811e4f4c3588018.jpg

Thunderbolt Mountain:

58f90f74a22b4_DSC_0252-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf.jpg.c97dcf4ee72bdc32f20d0a4f17ea05ae.jpg

Edited by Pingo
10 people like this

I've been eagerly watching how your wolves are turning out. When I did my wolf pelt, I put a bit of Citadel Fenrisian Grey in the white, which is a grey with a wonderful touch of blue to it, made it seem realistic enough for my liking.

2 people like this

I still had a few wolves who didn't have any color on them yet, so I decided to paint them reddish (For now at least.  Later layers may change this.).

I mixed a dull red-brown color out of a lot of Burnt Sienna, some Yellow Oxide, a small bit of Ultramarine Blue to grey it down, and a little Titanium White to make it more opaque.

I painted their legs and bellies with the dull buff color I mixed above (the sharp-eyed will note that its ingredients are exactly the same as this red; only the proportions are changed), then swashed on some of the red color.

RAFM:

DSC_0257-RAFM-dire-wolf-reddish.jpg.d5be0cee1f246e1458f3527846a31b4b.jpg

Thunderbolt Mountain:

58f921be041bf_DSC_0257-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf-reddish.jpg.8ae4d029a83a901bd7d758835b0e9550.jpg

Those RAFM wolves are a little oddly posed.  Their paws are mostly curled all the way up and I kept feeling like I should cut away the metal that supported them.  But that would leave them suspended in midair.  I feel like they should almost have flying bases, like carousel animals.

9 people like this

Nice work on them; I like the variety you're doing with their coats.

1 person likes this

Although these are nowhere near done, I felt they needed a little more expression to help decide how to continue.  Their faces looked kind of blank, so I took some pure Carbon Black and painted in their eyes, noses, lips, and claws.

I don't work much with pure black as it feels a bit "dead" as a color to me.  But here it is useful to indicate expressions and will hold up even if I slop a little more paint over it in the continuing process of painting these puppies.

The faces are crude and just indicated in, but I feel like they have made these figures more alive.

Reaper Wolves:

DSC_0261-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3)-white-wolf-eyes-mouth-and-nose.jpg.5e0eb2a870fbd13cefcde62c054fde61.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg.98e7d7071042d83794378376c533a606.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg.7bd63539fd40f3c9db8ea62798a0e092.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg.5fdbe98f7bbadf46d01e12c096bdf375.jpg

DSC_0269-02830--Wolf-Pack-(3).jpg.05f8696e035c9571b11b38fe4e549ff3.jpg

DSC_0270-Bones-wolf-from-77176--Familiars.jpg.080179db6ac4a79397a86af006a42650.jpg

Thunderbolt Mountain Wolves:

58f9484f6672f_DSC_0266-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf-white-wolf-eyes-mouth-and-nose.jpg.80546973c499232e5284465280b4e96e.jpg

58f948a90a72d_DSC_0276-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf-grey.jpg.6904a30aa11463cb93ebd9652842e6b4.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg.a601410b0ba68566aad3b56baad1d91d.jpg

58f948a538db8_DSC_0275-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-giant-wolf-reddish.jpg.74d278812d9a0de0375aee842cff735e.jpg

RAFM Wolves:

DSC_0271-RAFM-dire-wolf-reddish-eyes-mouth-and-nose.jpg.d7461d17638110a976dac39c3d341614.jpg

DSC_0272-RAFM-dire-wolf-grey-eyes-mouth-and-nose.jpg.b757df14e80281106ff7a420769eb3fb.jpg

DSC_0283-RAFM-dire-wolf-black-eyes-mouth-and-nose.jpg.32d2347209e736386c4ca4502a63a95e.jpg

11 people like this

I am definitely seeing the GoT's direwolves. There is Shaggydog, and Summer, and Nymeria, a couple that could be Ghost, One that makes a great Grey Wind. Only one I am not sure of is Lady. Haha!

These are looking great and I just know they are going to be brilliant when finished!

3 people like this

That black is great for the eyes and such.

It may be the sculpts, I feel that the effect looks best on the Thunderbolt mountain Wolves, they look very natural already.

Looking forward to see more!

1 person likes this

I was painting soft blues on some other minis, so I slung some shadows on the snowy bases.  These are blends of Ultramarine Blue and (lots of) Titanium White, and Phthalocyanine Blue with a touch of Hansa Yellow Opaque and (even more) Titanium White.

Thunderbolt Mountain:

DSC_0338A-TM-wolf-blue.jpg.6eece178d72015a1995aad39c7d5432a.jpg

RAFM:

DSC_0338C-RAFM-wolf-blue.jpg.07e967c907c03ad5b823644b238f3475.jpg

Reaper:

DSC_0339AReaper-wolf-blue-1.jpg.2c30d3b5b43026459ae8f9d60be82d6e.jpg

DSC_0339B-Reaper-wolf-blue-2.jpg.44c589662db09d53b51dc0375b312cb3.jpg

7 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      So there is this skirmish game, "Wild in the Streets" by Slow Death Games.  Member FishNJeeps alerted me to it at Adepticon last month after I told him I was looking for minis of unarmed women in good street clothes for some friends. (Thanks, FishNJeeps!)

I'm really grateful he did, because they had two sets of skirmishers that had a lot of promise.  This figure is from the "Murder Cult Girls" set, which otherwise is a little goofy but has this one figure that really appealed to my friend. (I also got the "Goth" set which looks like it will prove mighty useful.)

I just had to get rid of the big knife in her hand (the Goths are mostly unarmed, interestingly).

I'm no expert with a knife, but I clipped and filed until ... well, until she had a sort of a clumsy mitt of a hand a little awkwardly held out.  Hum.  Not to worry because I had a brainstorm a little later.

Here she is (left) primed with a thin layer of Titanium White and a wash of Burnt Umber.  I've already started painting her skin in with mixes of Titanium White and Burnt Sienna with a little Yellow Oxide admixed because she is supposed to be Korean.

With skin, at least for me, I add layers and add layers and it looks weird ...

... until it doesn't.  I've painted a little transparent Quinacridone Crimson on her lips and her eyes are preternaturally blue and pupil-less on purpose.  Her hair is only sketched in for the moment, but yes, it is supposed to be bubblegum pink.  She is a wee bit of a Gothic Lolita.

And then I worked out something about making her hand look okay. 

The character she represents has a green spider familiar.  A big one, hand size.

... Hand size ...

So I figured okay fine, I'm going to try to paint that lemon-shaped lump in her right hand as a big green spider.  I'll work out how as I go along.

To start with I painted it bright green. 

Phthalocyanine Green, my favorite green pigment, is completely transparent.  It's great for color glazes but needs something opaque added to give it body.  I decided to do a two step process to give it a really intense, glowing color.

This is something I do a lot when I want a really eye-popping bright color: Paint a paler, solid version of the color underneath and then glaze over it with a more intense, transparent color.

Here's my palette (Normally I use a wet palette but this was for a single quick effect):

From left to right the colors are: Phthalo Green (looking super dark because of its transparency -- it's actually a brilliant peacock blue-green), Hansa Yellow Opaque (a brilliant warm yellow with only a little opacity, despite the name), and Titanium White.  Above the Hansa Yellow is my mixed color with a ton of yellow, only a little green (it's a really strong green) and enough white to make it fairly opaque but not too washed out.

Here's the first layer on her hand:

Notice even "opaque" the color underneath shows through.  I like this because it harmonizes the colors.  There's something in fine art I've heard called "airlessness".  It's when adjacent colors have nothing to do with each other, no reflections, no harmonics, just separate blocks of color.  Maybe it's just a nice excuse for sloppiness, but I like colors bouncing off each other.

Once the undergreen was dry I mixed a medium green with the yellow and no white in it, and glazed it lightly over the paler color.

The under-color comes through and it's as close to a stained glass effect as regular paint can get.

This is the state the figure was in for our first gaming session (Yeah, I'm slow.), and it was recognizable enough for the player to delightedly figure out that that was her spider.

And yet there shall be more ...
    • By Pingo
      I've no idea if this is one of Hasslefree's originals or one of their tributes to media characters.  At any rate, I'm painting her up as a slightly unnerving Russian bodyguard named Petra for a modern-day game.

Here's my standard priming:  A layer of thinned down Titanium White followed by a wash of thinned-down Burnt Umber.

I love all the little details Kevin of Hasslefree puts into his sculpts.  I especially love how plausibly backside-kicking his women warriors look.

Here are a couple of the in-between states of painting up her skin (which is to say her head, since she's wearing gloves).  I'm including them because they're messy, because sometimes people get worried when their painting doesn't look great at each step.  Don't ever be worried that things are looking messy!  Paint is made to smooth things over.

This first image shows a single thin layer of Titanium White mixed with Burnt Sienna sketched in leaving the darkest shadows.  This I find is when faces look their creepiest (Ignore the other two figures; they are for other WIPs).

This shows some shading developed with thin, translucent layers mixed with more or less Burnt Sienna.  Burnt Sienna is a warm orangeish brown which lightens into peachy tones which seem to work for generic white people's skin.  There's also some Burnt Umber in the deepest shadows.

Here I've washed a little Quinacridone Crimson on her cheeks (very thinned) and lips; slung some buff yellow mixed from Yellow (Iron) Oxide, Burnt Umber, and Titanium White on her hair; and done up pale, slightly staring eyes (Grey mixed from Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Titanium White) with a sort of dramatic dark eyeliner I've sometimes seen used by pale blondes.  The eyes look a little more disconcerting because I haven't put highlights in.  She has no eyebrows because she's so fair.

I also primed her guns black. 

I'm probably going to refine her features a little, especially around the hairline.  But she's okay for now.

I mixed up a blue for her jumpsuit, which I am trying to imply is shiny spandex.  It's a mix of Phthalocyanine Blue, Burnt Umber, and a little Titanium White (more white for the highlights, natch).  As with everything here, it's still rough. 

And there she is, a modern female mercenary begun ...
    • By Pingo
      This is a fresh start for a thread I feel I knocked off kilter.  I feel it may be justified in that I've finally started actually painting the creature.

This is Reaper's 14532: Aislinn, Shadow Tracker, a large werewolf (the base is a 40mm square) from the Koborlas faction in their Warlord game.  I had a request from a player for a werewolf who can shift genders and appear gender ambiguous, and this seemed a good place to start.  The sculpt is meant to be female, but it is lean and muscly and not over-bosomy.  I filed it down somewhat and off we go.

... I don't seem to have done my usual practice of documenting the priming (a light coat of thinned Titanium White and a wash of Burnt Umber on the creature only, leaving the base white for snow), so here is the first layer.  I decided to paint this one as a white wolf.  I've observed that "white" wolves are actually a creamy light brown, so that's how I've painted this one.  The color is mixed from Yellow (Iron) Oxide, Burnt Umber, a bit of Ultramarine Blue to tone down the brightness, and Titanium White.  It came out a sort of dull buff, a good blonde color.

The color is laid on thin and translucent.  Where the Burnt Umber underneath shows the color shifts to a sort of bluish shadow.

I indicated the nose, eyes, lips, and claws with Carbon Black.  I don't use pure black much, but I needed a little facial indication to work from.

Had a little blue on my palette, so I swished in some snow shadows.  These are two mixes: Phthalo Blue with a tiny bit of Hansa Yellow Opaque and a great deal of Titanium White; and Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White.

• By Silvervane
      I have another installment in my painting up of Reaper's Boneslyvanian Chibis.  Here is Bart.  A uncharacteristically bright haired zombie.  Enjoy.

Thanks for any C&C you feel inspired to give.
    • By Pingo
      While I have been painting realistic wolves, I have also been working on some of the gorgeous giant wolfmen sculpted by Julie Guthrie for the Koborlas faction in Reaper's "Warlord" game.

This is #14528, the subtly-named "Rageclaw Slayer", or the testosterone-poisoned werewolf a friend of mine requested.  He's a big puppy; I include a copy of Reaper's 60164, Vampire Hunter, for scale:

This is my standard priming of a thin layer of Titanium White followed by a thin wash of diluted Burnt Umber, using my favorite Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics.  I left the base white in order to paint it as snow.

Those who have been following my regular wolf painting thread will recognize the steps here.  First I mixed a cool neutral grey from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White and painted it on his limbs, face, and belly:

Then I mixed a darker version of the same grey and painted his back and tail:

Then I mixed a cream-buff color from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a tiny bit of Ultramarine Blue to take the orange edge off, and Titanium White, and went over his face, limbs, and belly again:

And finally I took some pure Carbon Black (a color I rarely use except for special effects) and laid in his eyes, nose, lips, and claws (Although I just noticed I missed his toe claws.  Oh, well, next time.).  I also washed a little diluted black over his darker fur, most noticeable on the parts of the tail I had missed earlier:

He still looks rough and terrible, especially up close, but I have to admit I am rather pleased with the overall color impression.
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)