13 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Our own Wizard most Wild mentioned getting this stuff and finding that it worked for him, so I ordered a bottle of it, as I do a little airbrushing from time to time....
I spent 2 hours or so looking at videos on youtube about how this stuff is used, and decided that the Wolf Demon (77307), that I used for the Hangout Airbrush tutorials last year, would be a good test subject for it, as I was not going to jump straight onto Nathvarr...
The first recommendation I followed was to spray the model with Glosscote, to protect the paint underneath.
I then, again following a tutorial, I daubed the stuff on with a semi junk brush, and let it dry,
I then did another coat, and this is what it looked like after it dried...
(Taken at the end of my paint session last night)
so tonight will see if it works....
ALSO, in one of the tutorials, the artist was coating his W&N SERIES 7 (!) brush with brush soap before painting this stuff on....
The brush I used was one that I liked to use for painting bases and such, and it is pretty much trash by now, even after rinsing often and an overnight soak in W&N Brush Cleaner & Restorer...
I saw amazing French sculptor Gautier Giroud posting up WIP pics of this amazing bust and knew I just HAD to have him, picked him up from Cinemodeles-creations. He's jumped up in my queue today while I'm home from work on a personal day.
Here's the the cast in resin pieces, held together by some blue tack so I could take the pics of the resin -
I've used my airbrush for the first time today, primed up Deadpool and 4 giants (the giants first to get the hang of the airbrush).
Here's where he's at now -
I drilled holes in his nose so that I can do the smoke sniffing scene as it's meant to be from the movie, which I'll probably use cotton or some other material to complete the effect.
Going to get started on some painting of him now.
Well this month I decided to join in the hangouts mini. Got started on mine tonight on the hangouts. Went with the green skin as all my other's I have are painted up as greenskins. I mostly base coated tonight during the hangout. Here is what I got accomplished.
I need help.
I bought an airbrush - Badger Patriot 105. Bought an appropriate compressor, inline moisture trap, paint, cleaning supplies, etc. I set up a dedicated area to use it and contain any over-spray.
But there it sits. Unused.
Not for a lack of want. But I've certainly been avoiding it. I watch videos, but the more I watch the more I get psyched out. I know I just need to pick it up and put some paint through it, but I can't figure out how to break though.
Advice would be appreciated.
Next up in my painting journey for my current Pathfinder game. The Stag Lord, a.k.a. the first Big Bad that the party will encounter (likely at the next session, so I may need to speed up the painting process near the end to get him done). This is also proving to be my first "Moby Dick" mini, or perhaps "Murphy's Law" if you prefer. When I first opened him up, I learned that he was missing his bow arm. While it's certainly plausible he'll lose that arm when he encounters the PCs, it seemed a bit premature to me. :) Fortunately, Reaper Customer Service is awesome and even though it was months after I had placed the order, they still replaced the entire mini for free, which is doubly awesome since as a newbie painter I don't have a lot of random extra bits lying about for basing materials, conversions, etc., so getting a full package was pretty sweet (even though I'd have been thrilled with just the one missing piece).
Next thing I noticed as I assembled this guy was that he required a lot of gap filling. The helm was a rather loose fit and the cloak didn't really line up in back either. Ironically, this actually didn't bother me much since i saw it as a chance to practice my gap filling which I have not had to do too much of to date. So with that out of the way, I set about priming and getting the base coat on the skin done.
Can't really see it here, but I then noticed a weird issue on the skin. For some reason, the paint on his skin began to crack. This is puzzling to me as I am not sure what could be causing it. I had used the same bottle of paint very recently (like less than a week ago) with no problems. Any thoughts on what could have caused it? I've gone over it with another coat and will see how it holds up, but hopefully he won't need a Simple Green Bath. That said, I'm open to suggestions here.
The initial plan from here is to go with kind of a dirty bone look on the helm, gray for the cloak, and Coal Black for the armor pieces. Haven't quite decided what to do with the leggings yet, but I'm thinking possibly a darker brown, but I am very much open to suggestions as I freely acknowledge I only have a basic grasp (if that) of color theory.
Anyway, thanks for looking and please feel free to provide C&C as I go. I am always looking for pointers, tips, etc. as I continue to slowly improve to a somewhat passable state. :) Ultimately I will be aiming for Table Top quality which I don't think I will have too much trouble achieving (well my version of TT anyway).
Who's Online 33 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Cranky Dog
- Mad Jack
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- John Fiala
- David Brawley
- Dilvish the Deliverer
- Chris Palmer