Rahz

Zombicide Black Plague Abominations

19 posts in this topic

Because I apparently suffer from extreme ADHD when it comes to miniature painting... squirrel!! 

Ahem, the following are in various stages of WIP.  Everything on the blob and rat has been applied by airbrush and mostly inks and washes to this point.  The Abominataur has had some brushwork done since and is nearing completion. 

Tried something I picked up from a French Youtuber Hutif who mixes some satin varnish in with her inks when she sprays them.  Will be doing a comparison on some different models at some point to see if it's actually doing anything but it seems to be helping the ink settle into the recesses better.  Applying inks/washes through the airbrush has also been neat as you spray at such a low pressure that you can get really precise.  If nothing else, it was great practice. 

These are not meant to be works of art, just messing around and hoping to get them on the table with 3 or so hours of work each.  So far, the minotaur is the farthest along has had about 2 hours total. 

IMG_6173.thumb.JPG.35813b45dfaa6f3807f367f8b72eb1fd.JPGIMG_6174.thumb.JPG.f178413e2197d944ca3fa88cc54eff4d.JPGIMG_6175.thumb.JPG.774c5b3083192e81da87ac2add292d95.JPG

Thanks for looking.

10 people like this

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing where things go. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So.. 3 hours each huh?  Sigh, it was going well until this happened...  The pictures of the abominations didn't turn out (blurry) so I'll have to retake them and no they're not quite done yet but I tried painting a stone pattern on their bases and it wasn't working and then this happened...  :rolleyes:

Ripped the models off their bases, glue them to a sheet of textured plastic from Plastruct I've had kicking around for over a decade, filled in the sides with putty, sanded and drilled through to replace the studs that the minis were glued to.  Had 1 mishap with the left foot of the Ratabomination breaking but it was a clean break so he's now fixed and no one's the wiser.  :ph34r:

They are still wet, hence the shine, but I'm quite happy with the look though.  Primed them with Vallejo Sand, picked some random stones out with Vallejo Leather and others with Vallejo Charred Brown and then went to town on them with Vallejo washes (Rust, Green, Dark Brown and Dark Grey). 

Thinking of adding some dry pigments between the stones (not sure of color yet) and then call them done.  Will see  how they dry though. 

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.7688d4f748ac7dee4cfc246b3c11ed14.JPG

thanks for looking. 

Edited by Rahz
8 people like this

If you're going to use dry pigments between those stones, I would think off Grey or Black.

And Congrats on the B-Day!

1 person likes this

Decided to skip the pigments, at least on this one.  Adding some rubble to the Minotaur as he breaks through walls. 

Ablomination is pretty much done.  I may add some drool once I'm done sealing him, but we'll see. 

IMG_6194.thumb.PNG.b83b0679c6ca2159f7233769e55e915a.PNG

Thanks for looking. 

11 people like this

Ewww, nice work you have going on these.   I've been playing black plague's core missions while I paint up the modern zombies.   That one would look great on the board painted up.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Silvervane said:

Ewww, nice work you have going on these.   I've been playing black plague's core missions while I paint up the modern zombies.   That one would look great on the board painted up.

Thanks.  

I think I'm only going to paint up the abominations for BP since they are so unique.  I have enough problems with infantry in 40K armies that walkers/runners would likely make me crazy.  After these 3 are done, I'm going to move on to the Troll and the Alpha.  Now that I've figured out how to base them, I'll be snapping them off their bases at the start which will make dealing with some more of the mold lines (though I didn't really attack them too much...:unsure:) and painting easier.  

So I'm almost ready to call this trio done.  Having a tough time getting a decent picture of the minotaur because of his pose and trying to catch his face.  He's been gloss coated so pictures are terrible right now.  Once I get a matte coat down on him, I'll post something up. 

As for the rat, I'm still poking at him a little bit I'm juuuuust about ready to call him done.  I might hit his fur one more time with a couple random hightlights and since taking the picture I've given the base of all his spikey protrusions a light wash to darken them a bit more but otherwise, for a boardgame mini, I'm happy. 

By the way, using Warcolour's White Wash to lighten paints is wonderful!!  No chalkiness at all!  Thinner and lighter colour in one go!

IMG_6236.thumb.JPG.191b18447192ff2c822676b0880a8f99.JPG

Thanks for looking.

9 people like this

That Rat's eyes look awesome.

Warpstone?  Skaven Ogre!!!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

That Rat's eyes look awesome.

Warpstone?  Skaven Ogre!!!

Thanks!  He could be a skaven ogre but I think I'll leave him in my friend's zombicide box. Have a large swarm of skaven in the queue though for when the baseboss KS ships so this was practice.  I'm quite pleased with the eyeball. 

1 person likes this

These look great.  They make me want to break out mine to paint.  I can't yet, must finish stuff before new stuff. ::(:  Cant wait to see the Minotaur finished. 

1 person likes this

Very cool. These will look great on the game board. 

1 person likes this

Thank you for your kind words. 

Haven't had time to matte down the Minotaur or seal the rat yet but we played a game the other night and my dear friend setting things up made sure to NOT include the painted ones, just to be... difficult.  Solution?  I will be painting the remaining abominations next..  The Troll, one of the wolves (maybe both... we'll see) and the Alpha.  Ya, that will teach him!  :rolleyes:

2 people like this

These 3 have been moved to a Show Off thread

Next up the Alpha and Wolf.  Trying to find a way to replace the Troll's "peg" (pile of rubble, something else suitable...).  Ideas?

Of course, it's now that I notice the HORRIBLE mold line down the Alpha's face...  They really don't cast these things with that in mind.  I didn't too too much on mold lines on these as they are crappy plastic to work with and they will live in a box instead of on a shelf but..  We'll see if I can live with it or if I'll be scraping off paint to try to fix that. 

IMG_6249.thumb.PNG.92f868f40e59814e52953ebe048d56ee.PNGIMG_6250.thumb.PNG.92b436eddf838ce4f858ce1a0aab595c.PNG

IMG_6251.thumb.PNG.e6d07beb1fe1340905cafc34d0a03267.PNG

Thanks for looking.

5 people like this

So the bases have been built and primed and I've sorted out the raised foot on the troll with the help of a piece of AoS giant sprue where a lovely piece of archway was being held by a chain. 

A little chopping, trimming and drilling and then some primer...

All of them got a zenithal white over black primer (troll just did), the Alpha got some blue ink shot from below and into the deeper crevasses and the wolf got a solid coat of brown wash. 

IMG_6257.thumb.JPG.e46091bfaca483cad534bef37c248313.JPG

Thanks for looking

9 people like this