lowlylowlycook

Are there any true scale US WW2 infantry?

19 posts in this topic

One of my next projects is going to be a platoon of Korean War Ethiopians (the Kagnew Battalion) for Bolt Action.  

Since, like most UN forces, they used surplus US WW2 equipment I picked up some Wargames Factory late war US infantry boxes on the cheap.  These are nicer than I expected but they don't have any options for heavy weapons and I'll need machine guns, bazookas and maybe some artillery and forward observers.  

The thing is these plastics are rather slender, certainly more true scale than heroic (which fits the Ethiopians anyway) and it seems that most WW2 models are much more on the heroic side.  Unfortunately the Perry's, who also don't bulk up their models,  don't do anything US.    If anyone knows of someone that makes non-heroic WW2 late war Americans, I'd love to have that info.

Ethiopian_soldiers_Korea1951.jpg

Also, I haven't yet found a 28mm recoiless rifle.  Even when I think I'm choosing an easier project, it seems I find a way to make it hard.

1 person likes this

Hrmm, I was going to suggest Old Glory as a place to look, but I decided to look myself and their 25mm line ends with WWI.

I know that Wargames Factory stopped their own production and it's now being handled by Warlord. Do the Warlord 28mm infantry not match the scale you're looking for? They've got all the US heavy weapons crews except for recoilless rifles. Bazookas are covered for the anti-vehicle role though.

1 person likes this

Actually, Since the WW2 plastics would be redundant for Warlord they were sold to a company called Dreamforge Games.  They seem to mainly make Sci-Fi figures and nothing WW2 that didn't come from WF.  

Annoyingly, Warlord's figures are often mentioned as on the smaller side but that's the an old line of metals that they don't sell anymore.

And you might be on the right track with Old Glory.  Well the website OldGlory15s sells 25mm Battle Honors WW2 figs which are supposed to be smallish.  No pictures on their site though.  

So I guess Old Glory has like 4 different websites? I was looking at OldGloryMiniatures earlier and it didn't have any 25mm WW2. OldGlory25s is a site too, and it doesn't have 25mm WW2 either. And then there's OldGloryUK, which also doesn't have them listed as far as I can tell. But you mention OldGlory15s having 25mm WW2.

It looks like they need to get things consolidated and straightened out so people actually know what the full range they produce is...

1 person likes this

And just as a point of note Old Glory 15s are no longer part of Old Glory but are a different company now.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I have zero clue.  Sometimes the history of miniature lines and companies can get pretty complicated and confusing.  I guess that's better than sculpts disappearing forever.

[Edit]  Haha, posted before seeing Heisler's reply.  Luckily my comment still stands.  

Edited by lowlylowlycook

Here is a pic of some of the WGF minis.

Kagnew_TEST1.jpg

On the left are two primered minis with brown washes applied (my own and Agrax).  The middle mini started out with a dark green wash and then I since it looked best to my eye, I a quick paint job on him.  Maybe he ended up a bit too green?  On the right are two minis with just the green primer.

1 person likes this

He might be a bit to green, but I'm sure you can tone it down a little bit.

2 people like this

Have you checked out Black Tree Design?

(Not a clue about how accurate they are... )

1 person likes this

Yeah, I was thinking of just waiting for a BTD sale.  I only hesitate because some British I got from them had casting issues around the helmets.   Well that and the fact that with their sale prices, I'll have to fight the instinct to just buy a whole platoon of metals.

Then again, head swaps might not be a bad idea anyway.

Yeah, one needs to watch out for the weeklies... 

(I've been buying up Dr. Who minis from them. Got to get them while they have them)

Bought the Reaper Olive triad and did another experiment.  Also experimented with taking a Sudanese head and using flock to give it a bit of a fro.  In my experience, if the sergeants wear their helmets there is zero chance of them being where they need to be.

Kagnew_TEST2.jpg

On the left is the new model using the triad, on the right the old one using the green wash.

1 person likes this

I like the colors on the figure on the left better.

1 person likes this

I agree!

1 person likes this

The one on the left is a definite improvement. 

Did you drybrush on the highlight colour?

It may be a little too much of it, unless you want it to look as if it's an older, washed-out/sun-bleached uniform.

(It is unfortunate, but in most armies it doesn't seem to matter if a piece of clothing has faded. "It's the right shape and pattern, we don't care if it has faded so much that it doesn't blend in any more". )

1 person likes this