Hibou

Shadow War Armageddon

26 posts in this topic

A friend of mine was able to grab a box of Shadow War Armageddon before they sold out.  

Our group played necromunda back in the day and  we have all been discussing what we are gonna build for the new release.   I used to run with Van Saar but I don't think I will try to house rule them in.  I am still undecided as to what I will build.  

Did any of you folks get your hands on a copy and if so what are you gonna build?

3 people like this

I did not, and I was at least mildly interested in it. From what I understand, it sold out online in 20 minutes worldwide. I'm too old (and wasn't that interested) for camping out at the hobby store just for the chance to jump into a mosh pit with my fellow gamers for a chance to get a copy.

I've heard that GW plans on producing more; maybe I'll be able to get one then. Honestly, all I really need is the rules; I've got figures and terrain.

If I get into it, I'll either build Wolf Scouts, or some form of a chaos kill team. Although being able to convert an Inquisition kill team sounds like fun, too.

3 people like this

I believe GW is going to release the rulebook seperately as well as the terrain...

I may buy the rulebook, and terrain at a later date. As for what I will build, I'll just select figures from my collection: Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Eldar, Necrons, Grey KNights, Harlequins, Sisters of Battle...

Damon.

2 people like this

I didn't manage to get a box, but if the rule book is available separately later, I'll pick it up. Not like I really need more orks or scouts.

and they just announced the stand alone rules for 4/22, so yeah I'll just pick that up and use my pile of random minis.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'll echo everyone and say I'm also only interested in the rules. From what I can gather, this is a preview for 8th Ed coming out in June. If you look at the free downloads on the bundles GW has made, the weapon profiles and the added Movement characteristic on the model profiles are in-line with what is rumoured to be the big changes for the new edition. Looks like we're going back to 2nd Ed, people :lol:!

But, back to the topic, I think I'd enjoy this Necromunda reboot. I can't play normal games of 40k anymore due to health reasons so smaller games are the only ways I can get games in. Probably.

Edited by Mehman
Grammar
2 people like this

I never played 40k. So I don't have any older army's or units to use.  I mostly have odds and ends I picked up over the years to paint.   I have a few Tyranids that I have used for monsters in rpg games. I have a purestrain genestealer and a  zoanthrope So I could pick up some genestealer cultists or maybe tyranid warriors for my gang.  I do like the look of the tau pathfinders however.  Decisions...decisions.  

1 person likes this

I think I am the only one that is pretty disappointed in this.  This IS NOT NECROMUNDA in my eyes.  I am very disappointed that they changed from the underhive gangs to their 40k armies.  To me they sucked all the flavor out of the game by getting rid of the gangs, the more in depth injury tables and getting rid of the income and loot system.  The new, less detailed, experience and campaign system left me feeling bored and uninterested as well.

I get it and understand completely why they did this but I will not be buying into this, or the new edition of 40k, even though they are reverting back to my favorite 40k ruleset.  I have the original rules for this, and other games, that made the 40k universe what it is today, story wise, and apparently what it will become again rules wise.  All of them are far better, imo, than anything I have seen in the last decade as far as dragging me into the universe goes and as far as game play and telling a story goes as well.  This game was left pretty bland so you could do with it what you want but that left it feeling like it doesn't really know what it wants to do.

3 people like this

Well, since some unnamed persons on this forum have been getting me to read 40k novels again, I would likely do Wolfblade, as I just got a couple sprues of Space Wolves to try and burn the desire to paint an army out of my system.....

I could always use some of my Iron Warriors I guess....

Iron Within, Iron Without....

3 people like this

Iron within, Iron without

Creases so sharp, the wrinkles jump out!

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, chaoshead said:

I think I am the only one that is pretty disappointed in this.  This IS NOT NECROMUNDA in my eyes.  I am very disappointed that they changed from the underhive gangs to their 40k armies.  To me they sucked all the flavor out of the game by getting rid of the gangs, the more in depth injury tables and getting rid of the income and loot system.  The new, less detailed, experience and campaign system left me feeling bored and uninterested as well.

The following is all unsubstantiated internet rumor:

They didn't necessarily intend for this to BE the new Necromunda; they just used some (most) of the same rules. I have read in various dark and nefarious places that:

a) A real Necromunda game is still in the works

b) They may add in the gangs and some more of the actual Necromunda flavor in an expansion down the road.

Like I said, all rumor/supposition, so take with a grain or 50 of salt.

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

The following is all unsubstantiated internet rumor:

They didn't necessarily intend for this to BE the new Necromunda; they just used some (most) of the same rules. I have read in various dark and nefarious places that:

a) A real Necromunda game is still in the works

b) They may add in the gangs and some more of the actual Necromunda flavor in an expansion down the road.

Like I said, all rumor/supposition, so take with a grain or 50 of salt.

I have heard these things, others as well.  I am still not holding my breath on this stuff.  While putting the old gangs into the game would be better, I still feel that wouldn't help this too much due to the lack of flavor.

I'll be getting the rulebook when it comes out. Looking to build a Tyranid Warrior kill team, but I've also got a bunch of old metal Space Marine scouts, Chaos dudes, Orks and Eldar that I can use.

For me the fact that it's not Necromunda that's the selling point, I like the idea of playing a skirmish campaign with units from 40K armies. If I wanted to play Necromunda I'd play Necromunda. Sure that's easy for me because I have the rulebooks, but the rules aren't hard to get if you want to get into the game.

Having said all that, it does seem weird that they haven't included a kill team option for Imperial Guard/Astra Millitarum so that people can use Necromunda gangs.

3 people like this

20 hours ago, Dai-Mongar said:

I'll be getting the rulebook when it comes out. Looking to build a Tyranid Warrior kill team, but I've also got a bunch of old metal Space Marine scouts, Chaos dudes, Orks and Eldar that I can use.

For me the fact that it's not Necromunda that's the selling point, I like the idea of playing a skirmish campaign with units from 40K armies. If I wanted to play Necromunda I'd play Necromunda. Sure that's easy for me because I have the rulebooks, but the rules aren't hard to get if you want to get into the game.

Having said all that, it does seem weird that they haven't included a kill team option for Imperial Guard/Astra Millitarum so that people can use Necromunda gangs.

The Imperial Guard have two pre-made kill teams on GW's site right now - a Cadian and also a Catachan kill team.

2 people like this

Well I broke down and bought the genestealer cultists gang last night. I am gonna magnetize the leader and the heavies for weapon swaps.   May do the rest of the kill team as well.  

Should be fun weathering up the mining equipment and playing with some non traditional skin tones.   

2 people like this