Reaperbryan

New website feature - FAQ

Hey folks! 

ReaperCon 2017 is a Scant 192 days away, and there's a lot of improvements I want to make to the website.  One of these is an FAQ section, with an emphasis on things first-timers should know, but also questions about what's new for this year, or other things veterans might want to know.

Here's the rules of this thread -

1. First, serious questions only, no shenanigans.  "How many Lowe's could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowe's?" is great, but it belongs on Tumblr. 
  2. Second, questions only. Answers are my/other moderators/official personnel's job.
  3. Third, and I mean it, questions only. No chatter or debate. I honestly want a thread full of nothing but the things you don't know but wish you did, or the things you wish you had been told prior to your first ReaperCon, or the helpful things you were told.
  4. Stop prefixing your questions with numbers, bullets, etc. The compilation of the data is more time consuming when they have to be edited off the cut and paste.

I'll evaluate each question and compile a nice, friendly, easy to find and use FAQ on reapercon.com .

Thank you all for your support. 

Edited by ladystorm
add rule 4
  • Like 6

Should the questions be something other than what one could find normally? Such as what the classes will be, what food will be available, how much things cost? I guess, in other words, should the question subjects be those that don't have a section already?

Edit: Moved the questions to a separate post.

Edited by Pegazus

1. What should I bring to the Con?

2. What food is available at the Con?

3. Can I bring my own food to the Con?

4. I have special dietary requirements; can I bring my own food/drinks to the Con?

5. Will there be a communal supply of paint available for free-painting, or should I bring my own?

6.  How many classes/games can I sign up for?

7. I accidently signed up for multiple classes/wrong classes; what do I do?

8. Circumstances have changed and I can now longer come the Con; what do I do?

9. I have a disability; is the venue handicap accessible

10. What are ReaperBucks and how do I earn them?

11. Will there be a location to spray primer/seal

I'll add more as I think of them in a separate post; unless you want me to edit them into this one.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Should the questions be something other than what one could find normally? Such as what the classes will be, what food will be available, how much things cost? I guess, in other words, should the question subjects be those that don't have a section already?

Questions can be about things that have sections, the answers at that point become links to those sections. There's no imperative to keep out useful but superlative questions at this time. Maybe someday if the FAQ becomes unwieldy. 

2 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'll add more as I think of them in a separate post; unless you want me to edit them into this one.

Separate post please 

• Like 2

(Formerly an Edit): Might as well start. Not necessarily my own questions, but what I recall coming up a bunch. And sorry for any duplicates from the website sections. Cull as needed.

1) How many classes should I take? How many total and per day.

2) What should I bring? (I would note to bring paints.)

3) What should I do between classes?

4) Will I be alone?

5) What is Deadmere?

6) What is this year's theme? (Yes, I know, but should be FAQ'd)

7) How many painting entries can I / should I do?

8) I don't paint well enough to enter, but should I anyway?

9) How do I get there from "x" airport?

10) What can I take in my carry-on luggage?

• Like 1

1. Is the Con pet-friendly?

2. I'm thinking of bringing my spouse, SO, parental unit, driving buddy; what is there for them to do in the area as they don't paint/game?

3. How old should my kids be to bring them to the Con?

4. Are there storage lockers available at the venue?

5. What manufacturers are accepted for the Melt Table?

6. I've got a set of pewter goblets; can I turn them into the melt table?

7. Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?  How about from the hotel to venue?  What times do they run?

8. I bought a swag bag from the Reaper webstore back in 20XX; are the ReaperBucks that came in it still good?

9. Can I use "swag points" from blister packs for anything at the Con?

10. How do I know what level painter I am for classes (i.e. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)?

11. How do I get ribbons?

12. Are there any after-Con activities (aka: What is the fire-place?)

• Like 6

Can I bring my light to paint at tables between sessions? (And will there be anywhere to plug it in?)

• Like 3

20) Is it Dreadmere or Deadmere?  

21) Is there going to be a food truck again this year?

23a) Can we bring non-Reaper paints?

23b) Can we use non-Reaper paints on competition entries?

24a) How far is the Dreadmere from the Bonehenge and the Duskward? (...last year's faction places...)

24b) What happened to my old faction?

Edited by Reaperbryan
  • Like 1

• What hours is the venue open?
  • Is there any place I can paint/game/whatever when the venue is not open?
  • If I don't want to eat at the venue, where can I find a list of convenient restaurants, both for people on foot and people with vehicle access?
  • What do I do if I miss the last bus to/from the hotel?
  • How is the light? Do I need to bring my own? Is the answer different in classrooms and the common area?
  • Like 2

I'm remembering some stuff from my first visit and the occasional confusion. It's probably worthwhile taking into account that a lot of introverts, not comfortable in crowds or strangers, are present.

Reword them as you wish:

1- ReaperCon's dates are Thursday-Sunday, so why are people talking about doing things on Wednesday? Can anyone come?

2- I'm a first time visitor. I cross the doors of ReaperCon. Now what do I do? (steps to registering on site) Then what?

3- What's with all the ribbons?

4- What is the melt table? How does it work? Do I need to bring old metal parts if I want to participate?

• Like 3

I have health issues / babysitting needs/ job requirements that frequently force me to cancel plans on short notice. Are Con tickets and classes refundable and how much notice is required?

Is the venue wheelchair friendly?

• Like 5

Are the games &  activities free?

There is some shady character following me all over the Con. Who should I talk with to deal with them.

• Like 6

Can we bring our own chairs? (I have severe back problems and many folding-style chairs cause me pain.)

• Like 1