8 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I finished this lady as my 3rd done since I ended my long painting hiatus. Took pictures a while ago, and until finals are done, no lightbox or new painting for me. But hey, I like the subjects, so I have that going for me. I post because I am trying to distract myself briefly without being thoroughly engrossed.
Goals with her:
Pale color shading on the dress. I wanted it almost white, kinda a creamy blue. I think it is ever so slightly darker than my initial goal, but still alright.
Anime girl. As I was looking at her, I realized that I didn't want her to be just another Caucasian. So I tried to make her look like a cute innocent anime girl. The tiny dot on her face is an intentional "mole".
Multicolor flowers, for the purpose of more color variety.
Failure: that darn bird. I am seriously considering repainting it to be a bluebird. Only concern there is that I've lost some definition on the feathers, so I'd have to be very careful in doing thin layers. I tried to make it look like a yellow and green parakeet.
Hair may have needed more highlighting, but it didn't have deep creases to work with, so I went minimal.
okay okay, second photo is before the base was colored, but I went swiftly on that anyway and it takes little space.
Fire away with the red pens
Having finished up my historical Dragoon, I decided to switch gears work on a fantasy project. A while back I'd agreed to help out with the Ouroborus Tales Kickstarter and provide a 'painting journal' describing how I went about painting one of the orcs from that project. The figures arrived a few weeks ago, so I wanted to make sure that was up next on my to-paint list. The official painting journal is only for the project backers, but I can still share work in progress and info online. But the painting journal will have more detailed step by step photos and a more in-depth discussion (sorry, gotta save some secrets for that! =P). Because I like to get the most out of this project, I'm also planning to enter the piece into the 'Eavier Metal painting competition over on their facebook group.
For anyone not familiar with the sculpt, here's what the orc brave looks like:
It's a nice sculpt, roughly 54mm scale (though smaller than the Black Sailors figures which look closer to 75mm). The title makes me think native american, but there aren't any overtly native american features (features, headdress, etc). The weapons and clothing are primitive so I'm leaning more towards the savage orcs from the warhammer fluff.
There's a lot of skin on this guy (no armor covering it up), so I wanted to do something with the green to keep it interesting. I decided to go with a two-tone skin. So green on the back/sides and an off white on the belly. Helps convey a more primitive animalistic look to him. I'm also going to work in more color variation in select spots.
Still at a very early stage. I've base coated a lot of the piece and sketched in the shadows on the body. My main focus has been the face, where I've done the green portions and details like the eyes, nose, and lips. I still need to do the teeth, inside of the ears, white on the bottom of the jaw, and add some glazes. But, this gives you an idea where it's going. I'm taking the skin one section at a time, so after this I'll probably try to tackle that left arm and then move on to other parts of the body. I'm enjoying the piece so far, but still have lots to do!
I remember that the first Imbrian Arts KS had a lot of issues and delays, but I don't know whether it was eventually sorted out or not so if any previous backers have any info it would be worth speaking up.
The minis look good though
I'm pretty sure this figure must have come from Reaper's first Bones Kickstarter, because they had real trouble with facial features not filling out properly in the mould on a number of the miniatures. This is one such.
In Reaper's catalogue, this is 80003: Ellen Stone, by Bob Ridolfi, but I always call her Jenny No-Nose because, well, she has no nose. Rather than try to fill in her missing features with paint, I've just painted her with a flat rag-doll face with no eyes or nose and just a gash for a mouth. She's a Weird West gun-babe.
Angelica is finally finished. I went back to my WIP thread, and I realized I started her over a year ago. She has been sitting on my desk waiting to be based for a while now. I decided to go with a relatively simple base. I really enjoyed painter her up.. I hope you enjoy seeing her finished up. I certainly do.
Thanks for looking and any C&C you feel to give.
Who's Online 57 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Xiwo Xerase
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Cranky Dog
- Mute Wookie
- David Brawley
- Doug Sundseth
- Arc 724
- Grumpy Cave Bear
- Bane Of Humanity
- Balgin Stondraeg
- Savage Coyote