Thrym

Planetarium, Quest for Planetoids :: A Thrym Side Project

17 posts in this topic

I bought in on the Kickstarter for the board game, Planetarium.

It's a great game and the family loves it.  But we want real planets to spin around the sun.

So, I have taken it upon myself to make some.  I know, shocking.

Here's the game:

PlanetariumPlanetarium

In Planetarium a new solar system will be born, forged from the swirling mass of matter that orbits its star. Players will take part in this creation, moving tokens to simulate gravity and the accretion of matter, crashing it onto planetoids that have already begun to form. Cards will be played that evolve each planet in significant and varied ways; from scorching one into a barren waste, to transforming another into a potential nursery for life. The goal of Planetarium is to be the player that best guides the formation of this new planetary system in their own vision.

The game came with slotted stands for upright cardboard tokens for the planetoids.  But they are flat and hard to see on the board if parallel to your view.

planet-tokens.jpg.5150bc8c067998cf0609c8e692acc288.jpg

Where to start?

First and quickest thought was to take a ping pong ball or four and just paint the planetoids on them as seen in the tokens.  But where's the fun with that.

Besides, I wouldn't be Thrym if I didn't use bark or some other basing material.  Here we go!

Ping pong balls ... close:

holy-balls-batman.jpg.dcc013b3de56bdc82f24614ae090f24e.jpg

These are "Practice" Golf Balls available at my local non-Dollar Tree dollar store.  They come apart ... so expect to see them again!  WOOT!

But, the first one I want to make is going to a version of Planet B a turquoise colored planetoid.

Shown above and here in the Player Mat:

planet-player-mat.jpg.c1e4904765bad7e90bcb44e96254c85e.jpg

So, I started with the mini-wiffleball and glued small pieces of bark to it.

bark-planetoid.jpg.593bab748889783071f7d1bd868a7794.jpg

And then spray primed it gray:

primed.jpg.306e70ca1151a9a38ae7ac77959a9634.jpg

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

15 people like this

Interesting. My thoughts were to use styrofoam balls you find in craft stores combined with paper mâché.

No wrong choice here, though I can't help but think of the original Star Trek planet props.

1 person likes this

Without knowing much about the game (what you posted here is the entirety of my knowledge of it) I gotta say I think I like where this is going.  Looks as though it may end up with a rough, in formation stage look to the planets.

1 person likes this

Very cool!

1 person likes this

Coolness.  I support and encourage your taking the game tokens up a notch (or 4)!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Interesting. My thoughts were to use styrofoam balls you find in craft stores combined with paper mâché.

No wrong choice here, though I can't help but think of the original Star Trek planet props.

I'm cool with some slight "cheese" factor.  I also don't have to settle on any one type of construction method.  I can make MANY different types of planetoids.

4 hours ago, Gargs said:

Without knowing much about the game (what you posted here is the entirety of my knowledge of it) I gotta say I think I like where this is going.  Looks as though it may end up with a rough, in formation stage look to the planets.

To learn more about the game you can check out the Draft Rules from the KS or search for the game online.  And while the images on the placards and tokens are almost finished worlds, I was thinking more protoplanet.

2 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Very cool!

1 hour ago, BLZeebub said:

Coolness.  I support and encourage your taking the game tokens up a notch (or 4)!

Thank you.

My next step, will actually seem like a step backwards.  I plan to sand the bark down to smooth out the surface considerably.  I sprayed it gray so you could see the cracked surface I had built from the bark without the various colors of the bark.  There are some ridges I like where the surface might still be erupted from a new asteroid being added to its mass or something but for the most part, I am much more interested in the crevices.

From there, I will even out the surface even more to bring it more inline to the micro-scale we need.  To achieve this look, I think I will mix a small amount of clear glue with translucent paints and see what kind of effects I can get layering these in to the crevices.

There are two rock planets in the game and there are two gas giant planets.

I'll be using the same practice golf ball as the base for these gas giants ... it's just going to be a matter of which materials I utilize for them and how I plan to build them into "rough" protoplanet gas giants.

I expect the following to be utilized: 

• ground foam ... mixed with glue and swirled onto the base as the "clouds"; they will cause fractals in the cloud formations
  • textile fuzz and lint ... also mixed with glue and swirled onto the base to mix in with the other clouds; these will be mostly flow but some tension in the fibers will pull creating zigs and zags

Both combined should create some cool planetary effects.

I will have some pics tonight I hope.  Sanding is something I can do while working.  LOL  Sadly, new office will have carpet.  Gonna have to invest in a good, small vacuum for my desk area.

Edited by Thrym
5 people like this

So, after a little effort upon returning home this evening, the planetoid has been sanded down to "smooth" with the majority of the crevices intact.  I have to fill in some and re-sand those pieces but still, so far so good.

Here's a nice shot of it.

58ed8f58f1471_planetoid-bsanded.jpg.a5df4be3c4484b811ab35af4d6093ed8.jpg

And here's a quick video of it spinning.  WOOT!  Video!

10 people like this

That's no moon....

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Pochi said:

That's no moon....

Amusingly, in the game it could be.  LOL

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hmmm.  After reviewing some choices for crevice filling and with an eye towards the gas giants I think I will utilize Heavy Gel Medium to get the correct surface level effect.

First, on the rock planetoid above, I think this one will get a bright lining in the crevices followed by some teal/turquoise mixed with Heavy Gel for the pre-atmosphere.  The remaining exposed bark will get the rock treatment.

For the gas giants I think I will layer the fibers and foam into the Heavy Gel.  Should help with the "gas" effect.

Thoughts are welcome.  Might check out some alternate mediums that might dry a bit quicker than Heavy Gel.

As a side note, I am also considering painting in a dark side to each planetoid, since the board game has a light source at the center of the game.

This should help make the planetoids look "in scale" a bit more

Edited by Thrym
6 people like this

After some effort, and a couple of steps that I didn't take pictures of here's a shot of where I am at:

58f2ce54ccff8_coloredandsandedback.jpg.286715d639899ec69966b7e6ee4e7caf.jpg

Here's what went into this so far.

• I primed the whole thing with white spray primer.
  • Then painted it with a wash of Army Painter Hydra Turquoise.
  • Then I mixed Vallejo Satin Varnish, Reaper Spruce Green and Golden Heavy Gel into a mix and spread that over the whole orb and especially down into the crevices.
  • Once it had set a lot under the lamp, I sprayed the whole thing with Testor DullCote to expedite surface drying.
  • Then after a few hours more under the lamp, I sanded back the outer surface.

So far so cool.

The next step for this bad boy is to paint the "masses" with several grays and then fill the whole thing over with heavy gel left plain.

In a bit, I'll post up the efforts on Planetoid A, which is the one with the moon like surface including craters, etc.

8 people like this

Here's some pics of Planetoid A which is very much like the moon with craters, etc.

I started with the same base of a Plastic Practice Golf Ball and wrapped that in masking tape.

Then I coated all of that in a heavy craft glue and waited for that to mostly dry.

Then I started layering on black ballast using the same heavy craft glue and spraying down the layer with DullCote between layers and drying times.

58f2da50ac40e_PlanetoidA-basesanding.jpg.c54aec6a39dd0073f28e579f23af1ec5.jpg

This is the last plain layer.  The next layer after this one, I added a bit more ballast and then went in with a clay shaper and added a few starting craters to get a starting point.

Then I took that layer and instead of DullCote, I sprayed it with gray primer.

58f2e33782d7b_PlanetoidA-cratersandprimed.jpg.9479c35be20e12ada0a808ca326bad99.jpg

More to come.  Stay tuned.

9 people like this

Back to Planetoid B.

I basecoated the land masses with Vallejo Medium Grey.  Makes the crevices pop.  I will add striations to the masses next.

58f2f97f38588_planetoid-bland-masses-basecoated.jpg.b607d5007dd21d5e2811b6a19ee53d2e.jpg

Once all of the land masses have some variations painted on them, I'll coat the whole thing in some Golden Heavy Gel and let it set for some rudimentary gases assembled around the planetoid.

Stay tuned.

9 people like this

I actually liked Planetoid B before the basecoat. lol

I have zero need for planets but you make this look like fun and it makes me want to make planets. Must resist! Paint all the things I already have!

4 people like this

On 4/16/2017 at 10:10 AM, Pochi said:

I actually liked Planetoid B before the basecoat. lol

I have zero need for planets but you make this look like fun and it makes me want to make planets. Must resist! Paint all the things I already have!

I agree, it was a cool looking Earth-like planet but I am making the ones from the game so perhaps I will do one for fun later

2 people like this