Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker75

Square grid for CAV or Warlord?

Hey guys, I haven't been on this forum in probably 10 years.  I've always loved the Reaper figures.  Now I'm looking for a miniatures game that uses square or hex boards and not rulers.  Has anyone adapted CAV or Warlord rules to those types of boards?

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of for something like that is you want the game to be more like a boardgame instead of a tabletop miniatures game... not that anything is wrong with that, I am falling in love with the game LOKA at the moment, but then again I always did like an interesting game of chess.

Soooo, just out of curiosity, why do you want to use a hex/square board?

I've seen people convert to squares for playing indoor battles (dungeons tiles, space hulk tiles, etc).  It's a pretty easy conversion, just count squares instead of measuring.  The only thing you have to decide is how you want to count diagonals.

CAV first edition was written with hexes in mind so that's already done.  The current edition measures turns in 90 degree increments so it's not really a hex game anymore, but I can't imagine it would be difficult to add the movement from 1st edition back in.

• Like 1

To be honest, I despise measuring with rulers and that sort of stuff.  I'm just not interested in doing it.  Maybe for some things like shooting or spells.  But not for everything.  However, I want the freedom to play with whatever miniatures I want so that's the goal here.

17 hours ago, Jeneki said:

CAV first edition was written with hexes in mind so that's already done.  The current edition measures turns in 90 degree increments so it's not really a hex game anymore, but I can't imagine it would be difficult to add the movement from 1st edition back in.

In that case, squares would work perfectly for 90 degree turns.  I'm fine with that as well.

• Like 1

Yes that should work for CAV.  A square grid might look nice in an urban setting.

I suppose you could always use the current movement values as square or hex values. (ie: 4" max movement would equal 4 hexes or squares max movement, spell reach the same, etc.) Depending on your gaming "space", you could double or even half that if necessary.

This is from my WIP on my Game Room.  I had printed hex and square grids for use on my 4' x 8' table.

A brief update.  I had 1" grids printed up, both a hex and square grid 42" x 90" to slide under the acrylic top of my table to allow for easy swap outs of grids as need for gaming purposes. The grids I created with the site that Arc 724 mentioned in Watchman's  3D Terrain Boards WIP http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/59499-3d-terrain-boards/?p=1099917.

post-7709-0-05859300-1429791355.jpg

I had them printed on 28lb bonded presentation paper, for approx $13 each.

• Like 1

Did you ever play with the inches to squares/hex adaptation... and if so, how did it turn out? ...just curious.

Edited by Dark Horse

I could actually see this working for a dungeon or indoor game, if you wanted to do something in a map or narrative campaign and compete over rewards in a dungeon or something, I could see that happening.

• Like 1