Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamuraiJack

Pre-launch
Mantic Terrain Crate

44 posts in this topic

Ya, I love all this kind of stuff, but I would agree that they should avoid tiny pieces. I would say nothing smaller than a chair.  I know some people like using the small pieces for basing.  I don't think we need individual bottles, or even bones. Do a pile of bones, and just sculpt potion bottles and books into bookcases and desks.  From what I have seen it looks like that is what they are doing. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Charred Toast said:

Ya, I love all this kind of stuff, but I would agree that they should avoid tiny pieces. I would say nothing smaller than a chair.  I know some people like using the small pieces for basing.  I don't think we need individual bottles, or even bones. Do a pile of bones, and just sculpt potion bottles and books into bookcases and desks.  From what I have seen it looks like that is what they are doing. 

I would prefer them not to sculpt the potion bottles and books into the book cases and desks but I also personally do not want individual bottles and books.

What I would love for them to do is do plain book cases and plain desks and then do books, bottles, scrolls and ect. on thin flat slabs.

Why you might ask?  If they do them on thin flat slabs a person can just put them in the shelves or cut them off the slabs for individual items or cut the slabs up into two or three pieces and rearrange them to make book cases look varied.  One plain book case sculpt with four or five different slabs could make nearly a hundred different looking book cases.  One plain desk with a few slabs/runners(table cloth) could get you about ten different desks.      

6 people like this

25 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

I would prefer them not to sculpt the potion bottles and books into the book cases and desks but I also personally do not want individual bottles and books.

What I would love for them to do is do plain book cases and plain desks and then do books, bottles, scrolls and ect. on thin flat slabs.

Why you might ask?  If they do them on thin flat slabs a person can just put them in the shelves or cut them off the slabs for individual items or cut the slabs up into two or three pieces and rearrange them to make book cases look varied.  One plain book case sculpt with four or five different slabs could make nearly a hundred different looking book cases.  One plain desk with a few slabs/runners(table cloth) could get you about ten different desks.      

That's a great idea actually. You should mention it in Reapers Minis we'd like to see, or in the Bones we'd like to see threads.

4 people like this

Mantic's Dungeon Crate preview includes a minecart, track, and pick axe! KS starts "in April", with three different crate pledges. The dungeon crate will be $60. 

(Any way to shrink this link??)

Edited by ced1106
1 person likes this

I'd have to watch it a couple of times, but first impressions:

- there is a lot that looks half-finished

- there are a number of items that look "cheap" / of no interest to me

- did they start repeating the things in the second half of the video?

Some things seem to be nice, but after Bones, Zealot's dungeon furniture, Dungeon Saga, Conan etc, etc, I'm not sure there will be enough in it for me to get excited (especially given how I feel about Mantic's treatment of the Dungeon Saga Kickstarter). But of course, it's Mantic, so there will be lots of stretch goals.

I think they repeated a lot of things there. If that means doubles of the items that is cool. I will be looking at this kickstarter for sure though. 

3 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Mantic's Dungeon Crate preview includes a minecart, track, and pick axe! KS starts "in April", with three different crate pledges. The dungeon crate will be $60. 

Spoiler tags to shrink it, maybe?

I really, really  like the library in the other video -  That wheeled ladder makes me want to squee! Picturing a wizard riding it while casting spells at the party. (My using the term 'squee' can be blamed on Megan's friend Jenny - who is also the first person that I have ever encountered that actually uses the term 'boinked'.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump

3 hours ago, ced1106 said:

It should have given you an option when you first posted.

I am a little confused. So even in the first set of images, there were repeats and then following "and we're not done" everything was a repeat. I am assuming most of these pieces are tiny like the skull, so ya I can believe you get all that for $60 and I am assuming shipping is extra. Why is there one badger let alone two? Not what I think of as "terrain". The problem is that there are maybe 10 to 15 things I might want and some of the things I don't want you get multiples of. I am sure by the time all the stretch goals are done this will be a fantastic deal, but if all you get for $60 is what was shown it will be an easy pass for me.

2 people like this

i wouldn't read much into it. Mantic's been at Salute 2017, and has an Open Day on May 10th so have been busy.

Of course, this could lend credence to the argument that Mantic spreads itself too thin on projects.

Mantic said the Terrain Crate project came from the sales of the Dungeon Saga furniture, so, I guess the Dungeon Saga furniture reviews are the closest thing we have for an idea what Terrain Crate will be like. I've only found reviews (comments) on Amazon, so the link will not be posted.

5 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Mantic said the Terrain Crate project came from the sales of the Dungeon Saga furniture, so, I guess the Dungeon Saga furniture reviews are the closest thing we have for an idea what Terrain Crate will be like. I've only found reviews (comments) on Amazon, so the link will not be posted.

I have some Dungeon Saga furniture. It's probably the best stuff of this kind that I have. Still, I don't need another $60 worth. Although I think a lot of gamers could make good use of it. 

1 person likes this

I want to like this, but I am not sold at this point...

1 person likes this

The Mars Attacks and The Walking Dead terrain sets I have look like they were probably created on a computer and printed from the renders. It looks good and that kind of design works for modern pieces. Both those sets also had 2 of each piece.

The Dungeon Saga terrain I have looks like it was hand sculpted, so it's a bit of a different aesthetic. It should fit in well with Reapers dungeon decor. That set featured less duplication in the pieces, well except for the barrels and the chests.