SamuraiJack

Mantic Terrain Crate

I don't have any Dwarven Forge stuff, so I can't compare, but I'm pleased with what I got. A few pieces (handle holder, library ladder, etc) are a little bendy, but the other 95% of my stuff looks great, and I've got no issue with the material. For the bendy stuff, I may get around to trying the boiling water trick this weekend.

• Like 4

I finally got my shipping email this morning! Relieved about that. Mine is shipping UPS, estimated to be here on Friday

• Like 4

It looks like they did use the harder TWD plastic, out of over 350+ items only the 6 long fences in the battlefield crate were made from it!

• Like 1

Pokorny Paints work just fine. These are drybrushed with Base Wood  and Stone Edge  Dry Brush. 

20180707_161850.thumb.jpg.a8ebaeb0ac9e6da6b620b7b7099004d1.jpg

• Like 11

I received my shipping notice on Friday as well, with an arrival estimate of tomorrow. I’m looking forward to this; all of your early reviews seem pretty positive.

• Like 1

Tried some more paints:

Cheap Americana craft paints gave... mixed results - the Kelly Green stuck just fine, the brown (forget the exact color) not so much.

Dupli-Color Sandable Black Primer works just fine. ::): But... I used the last of mine doing the experiment, and it looks like the price has jumped - online, at least. ::(:

You definitely need to wash the models with dish soap, then give them a rinse.

I have not yet had the sticky problem that spray primers sometimes have with Bones - but I think it is because I am using the primers that I got because they don't make the Bones sticky....

Megan used some of the models on Friday and I used some of them on Saturday, and confirmed one thing.... If there is model furniture on the gaming table, player characters will jump on it! (I plead the fifth about who did it in Megan's game. ::P:)

The Auld Grump - to be fair - my Warforged did the exact same thing when there was no model furniture on the table - jumping onto the furniture, running along it, and leaping at the opponent seems to be his modus operandi. Now... I have a handful of squished Augur....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Megan's technique - spray prime with either Army Painter Leather Brown or Army Painter Fur Brown - let dry.

Give a wash with diluted Brown Liner - let dry.

Drybrush with a mix of Fur Brown, Skeleton Bone, and Leather Brown - let dry.

Glaze with diluted Brown Ink - let dry.

The Auld Grump - she had a lot painted in the time between when I was at work on Friday and when I got home for the game.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Dupli-Color Sandable Black Primer works just fine. ::): But... I used the last of mine doing the experiment, and it looks like the price has jumped - online, at least. ::(:

Looks like just online - I can run to a local auto parts store and spend $7 to get the primer, or order it online for $14 - with 'free' (those are sarcasm quotes) shipping.

The Auld Grump - I thought that was supposed to be the other way around....

On 7/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Yep - and add in the library ladders - I have plans.... (Mostly involving a wizard/sorcerer type casting spells as his ladder goes 'Wheee!' - Animate Object + Too Many Disney Cartoons = Fun For The Whole Family.... ::D: )

The Auld Grump

Megan's remark when I told her about that - 'Does any of it sing?'

Have I ever mentioned that Beauty and the Beast is just about her favorite movie of all time? (Mine is The Lion in Winter.)

The Auld Grump

I painted up a batch of crates and barrels. Used brown liner for some and black brush on primer for others. Both worked and the minis took paint really well but it’s a little time consuming to prime them that way so I think I’m gonna try a spray primer on a batch to test that too. 

Unpainted they look like chocolate! Makes me hungry. Someone should make D&D inspired chocolate. 

E16FC74A-E7C6-43CD-97F0-288D1904263F.jpeg

• Like 9

Just unboxed mine! My shipment was in pristine condition; don't know what they paid UPS, but the outer box didn't even have a scuff mark on it! Everything was there, except they packed a DS door set instead of the furniture set.

Impressions:

• Most everything I received (Town Crate, Wizard's Study, Dungeon Debris, Torture Chamber, and Temple) was of a very stiff plastic; not Dwarvenite - not heavy enough IMHO - but not Bonesium wiggly, either. Things that could have been wiggly - the throne banner, map, scrolls, or small debris - were perfectly rigid.
  • A few pieces defied the trend. The orrery, cart, throne runner rug, candlesticks and braziers, ladders, and weapon racks were flexible (and warped). My cart wasn't too bad - mostly the hitch. Why, I don't know. It's not the color of the plastic or the size of the piece, though really spindly pieces almost all suffer. Mold requirements would be my guess.
  • My two torture rack legs felt like they would break off - they were stiff, but felt attached by a mostly stressed-out thread of plastic.
  • Some of the stiff plastic was also warped, e.g. the round tables in the Tavern. I'm hoping they'll be better with hot water, but less hopeful than with the softer stuff.
  • The stiff plastic has some leftover roughage - much more than on DF pieces, and of an abrasive nature. Could be sprue or mold break-off points. There are also some occasional mold lines. Some of this is annoying, especially the mold lines on the multi tapped barrel set and the rough tips of the liquor rack bottles.
  • The Temple set is spectacular, and much heavier than the other sets. There's a slight warping on the ends of the two circular floor pieces, but wow!
  • The Torture set is more mixed for me. The Iron Maiden/Sarcophagus bottoms are shallower than I expected, and they don't have a lip to match them to their tops. Not so with the coffins, which are fine. Torture equipment itself will be a welcome addition to dungeon scenery, but the skeleton and mummy don't do much as they're limited to being props for the scenery.
  • There are itty-bitty tiny pieces in these sets! I mean, really really small. The skulls and rats are especially miniscule - as in, actually to scale for a regular rat! Some of the small pieces like to hide in bigger pieces; I had to dig some books out of a bookcase. I love these little detail pieces, but they're going to have to find a special bin in my storage.
  • The poop no longer looks like a horse dropping; it now resembles a small pile of coal, which is I guess why it's in the blacksmith set to begin with...
  • Like 4

Mine arrived about 5 hours after I left on vacation.  It was here waiting for me when I got back.  

Quite pleased.  Between Bones, this and my 3d Printer, i think I'm set on dungeon scatter terrain for a long, long time. 

• Like 2

Did anyone get the Treasury? I'm interested to know if the coins in their piles are as oversized as they look in the previews, or if, like the rats and skulls, their proportions are overblown in the images...