aku-chan

Aku-chan paints... Belisarius Cawl

23 posts in this topic

So while I was stuck on another mini, I was putting together some of my other minis.

Unfortunately I'd gotten quite far into assembling this particular one, before I realized I wouldn't be able to pack him away afterwards due to his abundance of tiny, easily broken bits, so he's barged his way to the front of my painting queue.

Eventually Cawl will look like this:-

Spoiler

99120108008_TriumvirateoftheImperium02.j

But currently he looks like this:-

abHHsMW.jpg

As he also happens to be pretty damn fiddly to paint.

Honestly, I would have liked to have left him in even more sub-assemblies, but it would've started to get silly.

On the plus side I already have a colour scheme sorted for my little group of GW Cyborgs (even though I still have most of them to paint):-

dqgbdWV.jpg

Although Cawl is a bit more complicated than the rest (so much cabling!), and there's bound to be colours in there I no longer have (why did I have to use Ruddy Leather on everything?).

Anyways, started on his lower half:-

6L4LM0i.jpg

With a basecoat of Medium Olive and a Brownshade wash on the cloth areas.

WB8op6O.jpg

lIu7xPz.jpg

Sadly, the wash didn't do a particularly good job of settling in the folds, so I will need to repaint pretty much all of this.

21 people like this

Progress:-

lpm2YkF.jpg

rJ6Z5Mo.jpg

Turns outs, not only am I lacking two colours (Ruddy Leather and Peacock Green) needed to paint the robe according to my scheme, I've been painting it the wrong colour anyways! (Mixed up my bottle of Medium Olive with Olive Green).

*Throws away colour scheme list*

So from yesterdays basecoat of Medium Olive Olive Green, I shaded the deepest folds with 2:1 Olive Green/Scarlett Red, tidied up with some pure Olive Green, highlighted with some 1:1 Olive Green/Off-white and then blended these in with a thinned Olive Green glaze.

And yes a bit is missing, kept snapping off one of his back cables, so I've put it with the other bits until later.

15 people like this

I'm loving the green!  Awesome mini!

1 person likes this

Thanks guys!

Made a little progress:-

p619mjp.jpg

Got the armour plates painted up a nice bone colour (Oiled Leather > Tanned Leather > 1:1 Tanned Leather/Bonewhite > 1:1:2 Tanned Leather/Bonewhite/Off-white > Sepiashade Wash).

Now I've got to paint under his robe.

14 people like this

I like the colors your going with and the way they are turning out. 

1 person likes this

Thanks! I think his colour scheme is starting to make him look a little bit evil.

Little bit of progress:-

Wv7JTlR.jpg

Got the inside of his robe painted (1:1 Dark Green/Black) and his cables (Hexed Lichen > 1:1 Hexed Lichen/Off-white > Blackshade Wash plus Oily Steel end bits).

Now I've gotta make a start on his many legs.

12 people like this

I've got legs:-

sRYWd86.jpgGAsDVs1.jpg

They're Oily Steel with a Bronze trim, washed with Black and then highlighted with either Oily Steel or 1:1 Bronze/Polished Gold.

I also painted his book (Cover - Scarlett Red, Pages - 1:1 Tanned Leather/Bonewhite, Post-it Notes - Yellow Ochre, Bookmark - Lonestar Leather) and then gave it a brown wash.

12 people like this

Egads, what an ambitious figure.  You're a brave painter.  I hope you're having as much fun with this as it looks.

2 people like this

On 24/04/2017 at 5:22 PM, Pingo said:

Egads, what an ambitious figure.  You're a brave painter.  I hope you're having as much fun with this as it looks.

I am, I pretty much love any figure that's covered in pipes and cables and whatnots.

Progress.

Had to stop painting for a bit (stupid shaky hands), so I've been working on his base:-

NmPJvLi.jpg

5CyZBeE.jpg

I think the puddles of radioactive goo worked out quite well for a first attempt.

But I managed a bit of painting today.

Needed to reattach a part before I could finish his lower half, so started on his upper:-

Rt4dQQ8.jpgc6kcYmy.jpg

The bone-coloured armor plates are finished, but the Bronze decorations and Brass doodads still need highlighting.

13 people like this

The radioactive sludge looks really good!

1 person likes this

Yep, glowing puddles of death look awesome!

The complexity and detail on this...guy?  thing?  whatit?  hurts my brain....

2 people like this

Thanks guys!

He'll get even more complex as I attach his missing bits.

Finally finished his bottom half:-

HROxHeY.jpg

Now to put it somewhere safe so I don't knock Bob the Grumpy Skullbot off again.

10 people like this

Thanks!

Made some decent progress on his top half:-

6HqtYXs.jpg9UNdCNl.jpg24v51FX.jpg

I'm still rubbish at taking one-handed pictures through.

So the doodads on his armour are done, robes are done, skin (1:1 Flat Flesh/Bonewhite > Fleshshade Wash > 1:1 Flat Flesh/Bonewhite > 1:1:1 Flat Flesh/Bonewhite/Off-white) and implants are done.

Next, I'm going to paint up a couple of the fiddly bits I left unattached:-

gjNnIBI.jpg

His hood and Larry (his other Skullbot).

12 people like this