aku-chan

Aku-chan paints... Belisarius Cawl

23 posts in this topic

Finally managed to make some progress:-

t0DeRV1.jpg

Larry the Skullbot and Cawls hood painted and attached!

Despite the fiddliness of the task, I'm glad I painted these parts separately. Painting Larry after attaching him would have been tough enough, but I think it is actually impossible to paint Cawls head fully assembled.

Next job will be to paint the rest of the already attached parts.

11 people like this

Posted (edited)

Very nice, I like the wide range of colours you have managed to use while keeping it all harmonized. Also lol @ Larry the Skullbot.

Edited by Pragma
1 person likes this

That bone color armor looks fantastic, and that model is stunningly complicated... they're approaching Malafaux levels of tiny bits and pieces.

1 person likes this

great work, how did you get the goo effect?

1 person likes this

Thanks guys!

On 19/05/2017 at 10:44 PM, Scorpionfish said:

That bone color armor looks fantastic, and that model is stunningly complicated... they're approaching Malafaux levels of tiny bits and pieces.

Yeah, their minis are definitely starting to come in a lot of pieces (I picked up one of their new Dwarves the other week and, despite being one guy with a steam punk jet pack, he comes in 50 pieces with an assembly booklet), but they still seem easier to assemble than the average Malifaux mini (a goblin should not come in 12+ pieces!).

9 hours ago, Tjrez said:

great work, how did you get the goo effect?

It's several layers of PVA glue painted with several coats of Vallejo Fluo Green.

There's probably a much less time consuming method out there, but I couldn't find it!

1 person likes this

Lower Torso, Upper Torso... FUSION!!!

8370RCu.jpg

ng0qEYe.jpg

Not finished yet though, I've still got 5 arms to paint and attach.

9 people like this

Progress:-

vmRZW4Z.jpg

The smallest of his remaining arms.

WAUXUST.jpg

Painted up with Oily Steel and Bronze.

Next up:-

7zxNVPZ.jpg

His laser-arm (with attached arm-arm).

1 person likes this

Great stuff!  Loving the base.  Home stretch!  You can do it!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Garomero
      Hey guys been away for a while with a severe illness however am slowly getting back on the horse through much pestering by a dear friend! I have painted a Black reach Ork warboss in Evil sunz colours and added small details to his surroundings. Using milliput I made vines with venus fly trap heads! also added a couple of skaven mini rats to the base! I hope you like my submission and as always comments are welcomed and gladly received!

• By InvisibleThumb
      Here is my finished "spirit of the forest" diorama.  Including a bones bird familiar and metal squirrel familiar from 02756.  (The axe was from a Frostgrave plastic sprue - cultists or soldiers?)

wip is here

Pics

Oops - meant to put his in show off.  How do I fix it?  Mod help?
    • By Guildenstern
      I finished my trukks finally! Just took some shots outside, to see how the lighting varied. I have a few bits I have to stick back on... ork stuff is truly ramshackle >< haha but otherwise, they're done =D Waiting another 24 hrs to see how the varnish did, and if I need to revarnish them (really important since I tend to do a lot of weathering and these will get handled a lot)

• By Mehman
      Right then. I've been on a YouTube binge for the past few weeks watching various videos by a wargames painter and her videos have made me question the way I paint my precious Imperial Guard for 40k (here's the link to her channel). Sacrilege, right? Not so. After seeing one of her camouflage videos (and then watching all of her other videos on the topic), a thought dawned on me: should I be washing these guys after I'm done stippling on their colours?

A little backstory should be given before I throw pictures at you. I've always liked the German Flecktarn camouflage pattern and decided to use it on my Imperial Guard troopers. Luckily, there was an article about stippling on the internet that I had found and the pattern clicked. So many years ago... Anyway, at the time, I figured you wouldn't be able to see if there had been wash used or not so none was ever used. After having watched these videos, it's time to figure out if this needs to be readdressed.

My first reaction is to scream "No!" at you until you go away as I have many guardsmen already painted up in Flecktarn. My more sane reaction is to agree to this washing as the models could use some shading in places; eg, around their cargo pockets, between equipment, where the tunic closes on itself, and around some of the tunic piping. Here are the pictures for reference. These are old pictures as they still feature the paper towel background I was told not to use.

Guardsman

Lieutenant

The question, after whether they should be washed, is what colour wash should be used? Spectre Miniatures has a gorgeous tutorial on how to paint Multicam (which everyone should check out) and they use Athonian Camoshade - an olive green wash by Citadel. A brown shade was the first thing to come to mind but Flecktarn features more green than brown shades of colour. Perhaps a black wash would work better - thinned, of course?

So, yeah. I'm leaning towards giving them a wash but don't know what colour to choose. Maybe a thinned all-over wash and then a recess and pin wash? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I apologize for the bad lighting. It would be neat if you could see the Lieutenant's cigar in his left hand.
    • By Maledrakh
      I recently bought a lot of 50+ older style plastic Citadel Skeletons off Ebay for less than the price of a single box of 10 new ones, and have spent a few evenings plonking away at them. When I received the horde in the mail, many of the minis were reduced to parts, with many a broken arm and leg. A few were painted, but most were not. All needed thorough cleaning with both knife and with soapy water. 
      After the requisite cleaning up and prep-work was done, I had enough parts to build 45 skellies with hand weapons or spears -one with battle damage where the arms would be, plus 12 archers. Most of the parts were from the second style of skeletons made by GW in the 90s, but a few were from the older style made in the 80s. Those brought back many fond memories, as I built a box of them way back when.
      The original builder of these had also converted a few of them to have, say 4 arms, or battle damaged weapons and many shields were glued to the hands at an angle to suggest the builder did not know how a shield actually is held. No matter. I left these as they were.
      Painted in batches of 10, 20 and then 15 over the course of three evenings.

Archers:

I used some 30mm lipped "display" bases that I bought in bulk from Reaper some time ago to prepare for the third Bones KS shipment (that is several months delayed, but should soon be in hand, hopefully already in May or in June.)
      And, yes, the 30mm bases do take up more space on the shelf and lets fewer models into base contact in game, but they do look so much better than 25mm rounds or even the original 20mm squares.

45 Skeleton Warriors
      Warhammer Fantasy Battles, undead faction
      Games Workshop, 1980s and 90s
      HIPS plastic
      30mm bases
  • Who's Online   38 Members, 6 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)