DaemonDoesMinis

Complete Newbs Barden Barrelstrap and Arthand Nightblade

13 posts in this topic

Nice!

1 person likes this

Very solid foundation! Welcome to the world of painting. 

1 person likes this

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

4 people like this

21 minutes ago, Loim said:

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

Hmmmm My wife as alot of different nail files for doing her own manicures ... i'll "borrow" a few and try them... assuming thats what u mean by emery boards.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the hobby!  I too started just before 40 (not that long ago) and can honestly say you are off to a great start!

Finding mold lines can be a pain and I often find them more easily after I prime.  That's actually not fatal as you can then fix the mold line and reprime (I use brush on primer for various reasons). 

1 person likes this

Hey, those look great! They should serve your group well.

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

2 people like this

Very Nice work for your first minis!

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

I don't do much work with Bones, But Pezler conned me into getting one of the scrapers, and the little bits I have done with bones, well they work a treat!

Here is the thread with my report

1 person likes this

Welcome on board!

Your are indeed off to a very good start.. Much better than my first for sure ^_^

For initial improvements behold the painfully learnt lessons below:

1) Always wash your minis with soap and a soft brush since molding residues are oily and repel paint

2) Primers are your best friend.. Brush on  < canned < airbrush . The worst primer will save you hours and many mental ailments

3) Never be afraid to exaggerate your contrasts.. The illusion begins here ..

And paint and paint and show off here, get critique, paint a ton more, ask.. And improve.. Such is the way of the painter.. Oh and you can get real time advice in the WIP section too..

Happy painting! 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

you know for the tips of the elf bow i wasnt sure about color so i put on grey first to see if thats what i wanted.... it was a small area but the gunmetal did seem to go much better/easier than the dwarfs golddid on primer only. i didnt think much of it at the time but it now make sense. thanks

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
1 person likes this

Welcome to the forums; you're off to a great start!

The most important bit of advice is to remember to have fun!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By neZnaika
      Hi all. Start paint )

• By Marvin
      You know how I'm always asking for a deserty barbariany roguey elf wielding a spiked chain? This is what happens when you don't give it to me, sculptors and companies. I ruin your sculpts. In this case, Bobby Jackson's Irith, Deathseeker Hero.

~10 years ago, I created a character concept, a barbarian rogue assassin from a desert moon. Probably not that great an idea; whatever. I loved it. Didn't wind up getting to play him, but the name became my main Internet handle for a long time, and I always kept the concept in mind. This past winter I joined a game, decided he'd be a perfect fit, and made him anew. Bought a mini to mod to represent him at the table! But again didn't get to play him. Alas.

But I had a mini for him this time. I'm not in love with the figure, but it seemed like a good one for converting. And it was close as I could get on the look. I guess. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, honestly. I feel like I could've done a lot worse. I cut off the original's weapons. I used jewelry chain for the chain, a hacked-up jewelry bit bead thingy for the spike, and another jewelry bead thingy for the ball. Drilled out hands, wound up having to cut them, and closed them again over the chain. Pretty simple, pretty ghetto, but here we be. Right eye turned out better than the left, I thought. I had him finished a while ago, but I was waiting on a base. It's a desert base from Micro Arts Studio. Thought it fit the theme pretty well.

Thanks for looking!
    • By Taskmaster99
      Just finished up my Logrim. Kind of a quickie paint job. Started with Army Painter Matte Black color primer. Dry brushed with Citadel Necron Compound. The highlights are a mix of Reaper HD and Army Painter paints. Washed with Citadel washes. 

Comments and and critiques are more than welcome. Thanks for looking.

Here are some pics under better light. Didn't realize the first two were so dark.

• By Gargs
      So, because I have a bit of Hobby ADD as I like to call it, and because I really wasn't in a painting mood yesterday but was in a hobby mood (go figure) I decided to start on my Hordes Two Player Battle Box.  I decided in addition to getting started on this, and documenting my misadventures as a newbie hobbiest/hobbier? I would also conduct a bit of a product review along with it.  I figure that this box is intended, at least in part, for new players, and as such, may also include those new to the hobby.  So I'll document start to finish (fair warning, it will be a long time before I get it fully complete) while also providing commentary on the quality, etc.

So, for starters, this is a compliment to the Warmachine game (could also be called the second side of the same coin).  The two games are fully compatible.  The box itself comes with a starting army for the Trollblood and Skorne factions (hence Two Player).  From a pricing standpoint, the value of the box in terms of content is somewhat dependent on whether you are just looking to paint the models, or if you are also looking to get into playing the game.  The box retails for about $90 but you can likely find it cheaper if you look around a bit (I myself got it for about 33% off).  As for the contents, you'll get 28 minis (if my math/memory serves) divided evenly between the two factions.  Additionally, you get various tokens and other bits you can use for playing the game but which are not related to the actual painting side of things.  Fair warning though, those 28 models include 10 models in each faction that are part of the same unit and thus, will be fairly similar.  If you were to buy the models separately though (or rather as they can currently be purchased outside the two player box) you'd pay about $150 retail, so from that standpoint, its a great deal.  Even better is if you have a friend that is looking to get into it as well and you can split the box with them.  I'm a masochist though and actually bought the box for the sake of having some of each faction and for the experience/joy/pain of assembling and painting them.  Anyway, removing the non-model related items from the box leaves you with this:

Huh, how bad could that be right?

Well, I decided to start with the three troll warbeasts which are contained together in one of the plastic bags shown, and when opened, leave you with this:

I seem to remember counting 24 pieces for the three beasts though I only see 22 here.  Its possible there's a couple small pieces hiding, or that I just miscounted (no worries though, I know I'm not missing any pieces).  As I prepped these for assembly, I ran into my first complaint.  The mold lines on these pieces are quite plentiful, rather noticeable, and often times poorly placed (like right down the center of the face).  Fortunately I am not a perfectionist and am willing to say "good enough" but the plastic mold lines do come up easily enough with a hobby knife provided you can get the knife in there.  I got what I could, but didn't go nuts on it.  We'll see how bad it looks when they get primed.

As for assembly, these are actually pretty easy to assemble so far.  The torso pieces can fit into any of the leg pieces and although the three beasts all carry a different armament, its easy to match the arms up with the torsos because of the shape of the pegs.  The downside to this is that there isn't a lot of room for mixing and matching the pieces between the three.  You could probably work the shield onto any of the three if you really wanted, and there's a pauldron that you could likely do the same with, but that's about it.  That said though, assembly was pretty easy which is good for a product targeting new players.

So here are the three beasts mostly assembled.  The remaining pieces will be added later as I paint so as to allow better access to all parts of the models.  From left to right are the Troll Bouncer, Troll Impaler, and Troll Axer who I shall call Dalton, Vlad, and Lizzie respectively. Dalton is currently a bit forward leaning and needs his shield in order to stand still for the picture.  Or maybe he's just drunk, not sure.

Anyway, next step will be priming and then they will probably sit for a few days while I a) work on some other models, b) let the primer cure (I use brush on) and c) go out of town.

As always feel free to add in any questions and C&C (though not much to C&C yet I realize).  :P
    • By OvantheWise
      So hear is a loaded cannon for every one; How do you paint fabric to make it look realistic. I personally tend to build up many layers of highlights and shadows and that how I do fabric, I may free hand a designee on but that really about it. I've notice wile going threw some of last years winners for reaper con that some of the fabric was painted in a almost stippled effect and it look more like a hand stitched/hand made dress or tabard. I have been trying to replicate this with no avail what so ever and going back threw old work I seem to have gotten something close back when I was learning to paint and I have no idea what I did to get that textured look. Any advice out there on how to get this look?
  • Who's Online   59 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)