DaemonDoesMinis

Complete Newbs Barden Barrelstrap and Arthand Nightblade

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Loim said:

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

Hmmmm My wife as alot of different nail files for doing her own manicures ... i'll "borrow" a few and try them... assuming thats what u mean by emery boards.

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby!  I too started just before 40 (not that long ago) and can honestly say you are off to a great start!

Finding mold lines can be a pain and I often find them more easily after I prime.  That's actually not fatal as you can then fix the mold line and reprime (I use brush on primer for various reasons). 

• Like 1

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

• Like 2

Very Nice work for your first minis!

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

I don't do much work with Bones, But Pezler conned me into getting one of the scrapers, and the little bits I have done with bones, well they work a treat!

Here is the thread with my report

• Like 1

Welcome on board!

Your are indeed off to a very good start.. Much better than my first for sure ^_^

For initial improvements behold the painfully learnt lessons below:

1) Always wash your minis with soap and a soft brush since molding residues are oily and repel paint

2) Primers are your best friend.. Brush on  < canned < airbrush . The worst primer will save you hours and many mental ailments

3) Never be afraid to exaggerate your contrasts.. The illusion begins here ..

And paint and paint and show off here, get critique, paint a ton more, ask.. And improve.. Such is the way of the painter.. Oh and you can get real time advice in the WIP section too..

Happy painting! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

you know for the tips of the elf bow i wasnt sure about color so i put on grey first to see if thats what i wanted.... it was a small area but the gunmetal did seem to go much better/easier than the dwarfs golddid on primer only. i didnt think much of it at the time but it now make sense. thanks

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums; you're off to a great start!

The most important bit of advice is to remember to have fun!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      As I'm actually getting to play 5e, and it looks like I'll get to keep playing for a while, I figured I should go ahead and pick a mini to represent my dwarven wizard.

Now, he isn't your typical wizard, even for a dwarf, as he goes around in a chain shirt and swings his warhammer. So the Dwarf Wizard minis, as fun as they are, are out. Going through my Bones collection, I came across this guy: Ivar, Dwarf Cleric

Not a perfect fit, especially the backpack, but not bad. Also going against him was the fact that his hammer was miscast on my copy.

So... to work!

I started by removing the backpack, and giving him a good scrub to make sure any mold remover was washed off.

Then I had to find a new hammer. The Bones Weapon Sprues had one that worked. Just about the right size...

Clipped off the old hammer, drilled out the hand...

And while I was at it, I cut off all the decorative stuff off the backpack, and trimmed the base. Then using my Happy Seppuku courtyard stamp, I gave him a fancier base to stand on. It's hard to see, but the pin is already in his hand, and you can sort of see the hole drilled in the shaft of the hammer.

And here it is all glued together!

Hmm... the anvil in the middle of the backpack... just doesn't do it for me. So I ripped the backpack off, and went back to my bits box.

In the end I cut the bedroll and lower bag completely away, and used some greenstuff and superglue to put it all back. The barrel is from one of the Games Workshop Brettonian Infantry kits... I think the bottle might be as well, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm still debating adding a length of rope to the backpack... but otherwise, the modding is done, and it's time to get painting!
    • By AEdge
      It's always a pleasure painting Reaper Dwarfs. 

• By WhiteWulfe
      Couldn't resist the silly-ish title - it was originally going to be "Novice Painter, versus LTPK:Core!" but I changed it a touch at the end..  Bonus points if you read that as the Innkeeper from Hearthstone. :P 

While I have painted miniatures in the past, I've first and foremost never shown such results to anyone, and secondly went in blindly with those ones, and while I was happy with them at the time, I wanted to improve.  Other things in life took over for a while, and then finally I said that's it, I'm either going to FINALLY paint my primered army of doom that was at Doom In June 2005 or I'm going to sell the minis I've had sitting in boxes for over a decade.  So glad I found out about the Learn to Paint Kits, because that pretty much solidified that decision right then and there :P

Anyways!  At some point we were all at this stage, and while looking over the pictures I can see a number of things I can improve on (*cough* like my up close photography skills *cough*), but for most things...  I'm happy with them.  Especially the chain mail on the Orc Marauder.  I just might have to retake some of these photos, because I realize looking at them that, uhm, first and foremost f1.7 blurs half the model, and secondly, I didn't get a shot of the backside of the Marauder's Shield, which I was also happy about.  Oops.

But before I ramble on for three pages......!

Drybrushing feels sooooo weird, but it was starting to click once I got to Magnu, even if I wound up overdoing it in a few areas and it so wasn't a dry effect anymore.  But that's life, we learn from our actions!
    • By 72moonglum
      So I went away on vacation a week ago, and I had almost finished this one before I left, but I ran out of time and didn't seal him or put him on a base.  Got him done last  night  though. A great Jim Johnson figure sculpted for Hackmaster around 2003 and then last year Ral Partha bought the molds and started producing them again.

Anyhoos, fun figure. I've been painting up a bunch of these  Hackmaster minis, using only the finest Reaper paints to bring them to life! As always having metal issues, my constant struggle, but they seem to be coming out pretty okay these days and I think the metal actually looks better in photo than in person.

• By Gargs
      Finally got around to finishing up Ragnor Skysplitter by Privateer Press. Available in the Trollblood Starter Box for Hordes.

Not my best work, but just reached the point where I needed to move on, and there are some parts that I really like.  As always, any C&C would be most welcome!

Cheers,

Gargs
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)