DaemonDoesMinis

Complete Newbs Barden Barrelstrap and Arthand Nightblade

13 posts in this topic

Nice!

1 person likes this

Very solid foundation! Welcome to the world of painting. 

1 person likes this

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

4 people like this

21 minutes ago, Loim said:

Very nice. You put the color where it needs to go, and that's a huge part of the battle for most painters. For mold lines on Bones in particular I use a sharp scalpel, sand paper of various grits, and emery boards. You can buy sanding needles, but for me I've found that the emery boards and sand paper function just as well. I get the best results when moving in one direction, rather than back and forth. Needle files are also great for metal miniatures, but are not as useful on the Bones plastics. 

Hmmmm My wife as alot of different nail files for doing her own manicures ... i'll "borrow" a few and try them... assuming thats what u mean by emery boards.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the hobby!  I too started just before 40 (not that long ago) and can honestly say you are off to a great start!

Finding mold lines can be a pain and I often find them more easily after I prime.  That's actually not fatal as you can then fix the mold line and reprime (I use brush on primer for various reasons). 

1 person likes this

Hey, those look great! They should serve your group well.

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

2 people like this

Very Nice work for your first minis!

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

I don't do much work with Bones, But Pezler conned me into getting one of the scrapers, and the little bits I have done with bones, well they work a treat!

Here is the thread with my report

1 person likes this

Welcome on board!

Your are indeed off to a very good start.. Much better than my first for sure ^_^

For initial improvements behold the painfully learnt lessons below:

1) Always wash your minis with soap and a soft brush since molding residues are oily and repel paint

2) Primers are your best friend.. Brush on  < canned < airbrush . The worst primer will save you hours and many mental ailments

3) Never be afraid to exaggerate your contrasts.. The illusion begins here ..

And paint and paint and show off here, get critique, paint a ton more, ask.. And improve.. Such is the way of the painter.. Oh and you can get real time advice in the WIP section too..

Happy painting! 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

You're off to a good start!  My favorite trick to get metallic paint to behave is to first paint with a plain color and then do a second coat of the metal color.  Generally brown liner works great for this, but any color can do. 

you know for the tips of the elf bow i wasnt sure about color so i put on grey first to see if thats what i wanted.... it was a small area but the gunmetal did seem to go much better/easier than the dwarfs golddid on primer only. i didnt think much of it at the time but it now make sense. thanks

Edited by DaemonDoesMinis
1 person likes this

Welcome to the forums; you're off to a great start!

The most important bit of advice is to remember to have fun!