Evilhalfling

WizKids Griffon

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had some problems painting the WizKids kobolds.   Ethier the details were cut to shallow, or the primer interfered with the paint.

I have a longer discussion in a show-off thread: Here

The griffon looked better but, I normally paint wings with a combination of wash drybrush. I' will try different things if necessary strip the primer off one wing and try that. If its terrible I just wont finish it.  

Hmm cant seem to choose where to post images, so I will do multiple posts. 

unpainted: 

griffon1.jpg

griffon 1a.jpg

Its merging my replies together -  okay that will work too. 

So first I broke out a black ink and did the first feather, then used my normal brown liner on the second and a water thinned black on the third. 

these would have completely different results on bones.. but here liner vs wash looked the same. 

I am doing the griffon as a bald eagle.  (mostly) black feathers, and a white head. 

I recently saw someones (unfinished) Kingdom of Death Phoenix with each feather done in 4-5 colors, individually, it looked awesome for that figure but would be silly on a griffon, and make it unuseable in a serious RPG. 

griffon 2.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
19 people like this

That's a pretty decent looking beasty. I'm interested to see how this works out.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's a pretty decent looking beasty. I'm interested to see how this works out.

I agree with the wolf that doesn't dye his fur....

2 people like this

I'm kind of tempted to turn this thread into a Just For Men commercial but I guess I better resist.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

I agree with the wolf that doesn't dye his fur....

This made me laugh today, thank you, Knarthex.

As to the primer being used, the primer they use is pretty awesome, but it doesn't have the strongest bite.  That and they really missed a bunch of mould lines when they put the thing together (even ones I may have chosen to fix).  The beast itself looks pretty darn cool, though.  I'm pretty excited to see how far you take it along.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

This made me laugh today, thank you, Knarthex.

As to the primer being used, the primer they use is pretty awesome, but it doesn't have the strongest bite.  That and they really missed a bunch of mould lines when they put the thing together (even ones I may have chosen to fix).  The beast itself looks pretty darn cool, though.  I'm pretty excited to see how far you take it along.

me too. 

You can see a mold line on the back leg in one of these shots, I hit it with a knife and sand paper, and its mostly gone.  I don't bother with the smaller lines.  this one could use a little gap filler here and there, but it didn't bother me enough to fix. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Since the brown liner was working, sinking into the groves of the feathers, I went ahead and did the whole upper wing.   

I googled some photos of eagle wings, and there is a lot of black! The longest wing feathers seem to have white where they connect to the rest of the wing, while the smaller feathers have white at the tips.  Ill but in a rain grey for now, and move towards an off white. I think this photo has some of the feathers glazed with midnight blue as I want to save true black for deepest shadows. 

hmm not sure I like the way this is looking, but I am sure that it is operator error, and not the fault of the mini 

some of the feathers have lost a little definition, but on the whole it is holding up well.  My problems are in brush control, and getting thin, but not too thin paint.  

The wings are as easy to paint as bones, the griffon seems to be at least equal in value and ease to them.  None of the frustration I felt with the kobolds. 

.. hmm I haven't painted metal or resin feathered wings yet, so I don't have a great basis for comparison. 

Hundreds of bones in the last 3 years, but only people in metal, the ones with feathered wings tend to be more expensive. 

I got a little sloppy with the liner and got some on the tail and head as well.  

58f0300b9076c_griffon3.jpg.b66c9e9e63a2356a884d42d5f60c594c.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
14 people like this

13 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

me too. 

You can see a mold line on the back leg in one of these shots, I hit it with a knife and sand paper, and its mostly gone.  I don't bother with the smaller lines.  this one could use a little gap filler here and there, but it didn't bother me enough to fix. 

The odd placement of that particular line along the back leg bothers me.  I have no steel mould experience (rubber wax moulds for jewelry casting yes, but not steel), but that just seems like the mould was poorly designed.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

The odd placement of that particular line along the back leg bothers me.  I have no steel mould experience (rubber wax moulds for jewelry casting yes, but not steel), but that just seems like the mould was poorly designed.

well I have gotten used to reaper trying to hide its mold lines, on the edges of legs, on shield rims, on armor, where a straight line is not out of place.  Wizkids is not using this strategy, just letting them fall wherever. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Adding brown to the small feathers, more highlighting to black ones. 

I have no idea what I am doing with this wing.  

Is the front of the feather highlighted or the back?  the small feathers are easier its the long ones driving me nuts.   What I though was a constant pattern of bright white at the base of these feathers, was a one off lighting effect in the photo I was using.  plus it looks bad. 

okay deep breaths I am going to go watch wing painting tutorials on the tubes, 

grifon4.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
15 people like this

Cool figure. It's nice to see your progress.

I just saw some of these Wizkids premer-only miniatures at my FLGS a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried them out.

1 person likes this

well that helped some.  I watched a dry-brushing wing tutorial, and mostly it gave me more confidence, rather than specific techniques. 

anyway added more highlights to the brown, reduced them on the long feathers and added some snow shadow on the black. 

griffon5.jpg

15 people like this

Posted (edited)

Now its starting to get fun.  a bit of advice from the local paint day, and then 3 solid hours of work. 

added snow shadow to trailing edges of long feathers, increased lining around feathers, raised the highlights (some) 

then painted the whole other wing.  It hasn't caught up with the first wing, but I think its all looking good. 

Next some gap fill on the strange divot on its back leg, running kind of from tail diagonal to knee. 

Then to basecoat the lion body. 

griffon6.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
15 people like this

This is tending to reinforce my existing opinion on the Wizkids models: acceptable for tabletop play, but we aren't going to see much masters/competition painting with these pieces...

2 people like this

I rather imagine that the wizkids minis will be commensurate to their price. People might complain about Reaper bones vs Reaper metal, but it seems so far that bones are at least better than the wizkids designs. I wonder though if removing the primer would make any effective difference, pain in the elf as it is.

1 person likes this