Looking good , the girls face is stunning and I just love the Vampire.

The Fighters eyes are also wonderful!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

Looking good , the girls face is stunning and I just love the Vampire.

The Fighters eyes are also wonderful!

Thanks Xherman! For me usually the two hardest things on a figure are eyes and metal, so if I can get those right, everything else kind of falls into place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvervane said:

Very nice! Nice job on recreating the colors from the artwork.

Thanks Silvervane! On hindsight I wish I would have painted the dress pink instead of green to be more faithful to the painting but I wanted more contrast. Oh well, next time I decided to do art imitating art....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Thanks Silvervane! On hindsight I wish I would have painted the dress pink instead of green to be more faithful to the painting but I wanted more contrast. Oh well, next time I decided to do art imitating art....

I like the green dress.

Besides...there is not a girl in the world that only has one dress...

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By buglips*the*goblin
      So as everybody knows, in 2017 I attended my first ReaperCon ever.  There I got to meet many wonderful people in real life, and I have to say it was probably the finest group of human beings I've ever spent time with.  We picked a table at random, and so wound up with some random people sharing our table as people came to the con.  @pcktlnt was one of them, and even though everybody here already knows he's pretty great I want to tell you that face-to-face he's even better.  Pcktlnt is a genuine top-tier human being, even among such a great crowd of people.

Before ReaperCon, being aware of the melt table there, I declared it my intention to raid it and Save The Parthas from doom.  Since I could not monitor the melt table the whole time (even though I tried), I put the word out.  I didn't care who wound up with them, I wasn't trying to get them for myself, I just wanted to save them from being melted into oblivion.  Save The Parthas! was the cry. 

Now, to be 100% frank, my actual objective was to save the precious and rare TSR-era Parthas above all else.  But, since asking people to scan the table for minis made in this specific 8-year span with these specific features and check the bases seemed like rather a lot to ask, Save The Parthas was shorter, sweeter, and simpler.  And Save The Parthas they did!

At one point, I forget which day, pcktlnt came by the table and delivered an old 1982 Partha giant lady.  At some point in the past she had been painted with green skin and yellow fur.  While a touch older than what I usually collect, I graciously accepted the free mini and said I would paint it up.  I have, and here she is:

For the age, she's not a terrible mini.  She turned out, in fact, to be a very early Julie Guthrie.  This particular specimen, being from the 80s and made of soft lead, did have some wear and tear.  So I worked with what I could, and I'm happy to add her to the shelf.

But the story doesn't end there!  When I looked her up to identify her, I discovered she was Version 1 of the female giant from All Things Dark And Dangerous.  I was familiar with Version 2, but had never seen this one.  So I found some scanes of Partha catalogs older than my physical copies (which only go back to 1993) and she appeared in 1983 (stamped 1982 on the base) and was replaced in 1985 by version 2. 

Which means, technically, she's actually MORE RARE than many of the TSR minis! 

I don't know who brought it, but if you're here I'd be interested to know how you came by this figure.  She's been painted, probably a long time ago, and has seen some action.  She's got some history, and it didn't end just yet.  Sometime in the 80s somebody saw her in a blister and said:  "that's nice, I'll buy that" and now she's here, probably in a different country.  What happened in all that time?  How many players did she smush? 

I have no way to know, but now she's mine and I've grown fond of her.  I love her just as much as any other mini - whether Takhisis or Factol Rhys. 

So a special thank you to @pcktlnt for your tireless stalking of the melt table, and for giving me the chance to own a little piece of odd history and give a miniature a good home.

As an aside, if anybody wants a good melt table story, ask @Dr.Bedlam about The Joker With One Foot.  It's a legendary tale, told best by him.  (I saw the Joker with my own eyes before he told me).
    • By Pingo
      The GM said we needed a nosferatu, so here we are.

This is Reaper's 02867: Matthias the Twisted, a gnarly rattish vampire.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

(I have to remember that I experimented with a cold blue-grey wash on some vampire figures that avoided all the nice warm undertones.)

I paint vampires with stark white skin, shaded with flat greys mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. This is almost the only time I ever use such a simple mix for greys.

The first layer is a thinned white (blodginess is the underpainting showing through).

Steps in shading:

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• By Pingo
      This is the classic Reaper 02551, Monique Denoir. There are some gorgeously painted examples of her out there.

Some of this post is quoted from an earlier post, since I find that giving information in each thread is useful, even if in the big picture it's redundant.

Monique Denoir is a Werner Klocke scupt. Her face is classical and lovely. She's certainly popular, and there are many beautifully painted versions out there.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, as I've said before, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin.

This is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white (rather than a complex mix of brighter colors). The flatness of tone conveys that something is wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, bust, and hands (I got her right hand wrong, I see in the photos. I missed her right thumb and painted up part of the sword instead. Be assured Werner Klocke's sculpt is much less clumsy than that. I will correct it later.).

The first approximation of shadows are added, mixed from simple Titanium White and Carbon Black.

And some darker and lighter greys. At the moment the shading is very stylized.

• By Pingo
      I'm playing in a World of Darkness campaign and we need a bunch of vampires.

I'm adapting Patrick Keith's 60138: Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain to be a vampire, because not all female vampires hang around graveyards in unlikely and suspicious states of undress.

She's such a pretty and elegant figure! I left off her short sword and staff and filled in the slight dimples where they were meant to go with a little Golden Molding Paste applied with the point of a bamboo skewer. The stuff shrinks when drying, so I heaped it up a little.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, eh, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin. Maybe I should paint them violet or something ...

Anyhow, this is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white, rather than a complex mix of brighter colors. The flatness of tone conveys something wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, neck, bust, and hands.

Then (close ups for a while now) I laid in the first pale shadows. All greys are mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black.

Darker shadows and some lights.

She's rather a mess now, but you can see how the skin shading is beginning to go.

• Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)