Lorathorn

Warm up for Painting (Mr. Bones)

9 posts in this topic

Here is a painted up Mr. Bones. I am gearing up to do a paint job on a paladin for a character I am playing in a 5e D&D game. Wish me luck on that one!

20170416_194643.jpg

20170416_194652.jpg

20 people like this

Nice to see Mr. Bones himself make it to the show off thread. Good luck on the paladin. 

1 person likes this

Thanks! I always feel like I see more flaws when I take these close up pictures... I need to figure out how to get better lighting in my new room to take pictures further away.

Or I need to get better at detail work.

Probably both. :-/

1 person likes this

We're all working on those things too. Trust me, I'm the worst at taking pictures. You're right about lighting though. It's definitely a big one. I've been painting for years and only just ordered a dedicated miniature light this week. Nothing fancy or anything. It should be here in a couple of days. Just been using whatever I could scrounge up. Even so, it always feels good to finish a figure. (◕‿-)✌

1 person likes this

Mr. Bones looks good!

Good luck on the Paladin!

1 person likes this

Good work on him!

And good luck with the Paladin!

I never thought I'd worry about flashlines, but the more I look at them the more I want to remove them. What kind of file is best for that?

My favorite tools are a sharp hobby knife or scalpel and fine abrasives like diamond needle files and plastic sanding needles.  Sometimes I'll put the Bones figure in the freezer to firm it up before I work on it.  You can go over rough areas with acrylic gloss or matte medium or brush-on sealer if you can't get it smoothed out enough with tools.

Here's a link to Wren's write-up on many subjects for prepping Bones, including her tools for removing mold lines:

Bones Preparation

1 person likes this