GodOfCheese

The Sorrow of Sealant

25 posts in this topic

My gargoyle was fine until I started sealing him, and then it looked like he'd been sleeping under the nesting place of a flock of birds.  It dried incredibly quickly... like, I noticed the chalky appearance even as I rotated the mini.  Scrubbing the applied varnish with water seemed to help a little, but not much.

This same sealant behaved normally just two weeks ago, and it hasn't been exposed to temperature fluctuations or anything else I can think of.  Why is it so chalky this morning?

IMG_4919.resized.png

IMG_4923.resized.png

IMG_4924.resized.png

IMG_4927.resized.png

1 person likes this

Are you SURE it was sealer and not brush on primer?  Did you shake/stir it first? 

Particularly humid day?  Maybe getting to the bottom of the can?

1 person likes this

What sealant did you use? this looks like a brush-on, it appears to have brushstrokes.

I would suggest shaking the bottle thoroughly and trying it on a scrap of something, perhaps a spare base or cast-off sprue and seeing if the sealant now does this always, or if the sealant possibly reacted with something on the model (maybe some sort of chemical spray used around the house, like aerosol cleansers or insecticides?) or if the sealant has separated and the component substances have come together to become opaque.

2 people like this

I'm going to go with either a) old can of sealer or b) frosting due to humidity.  I've stopped using spray on sealer for minis after I had gloss sealer go on as matte many years ago.  It was no big deal at the time, but it was an effective demonstration of how much the weather affects spray-on products. 

You might be able to salvage things by gently scraping off the worst chunks and then applying a generous coat of brush-on sealer.  I've got lots I can loan you.  ^_^

1 person likes this

If it is indeed a spray on primer, hit it with a coat of gloss coat, that can sometimes reverse the process.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Heisler said:

If it is indeed a spray on primer, hit it with a coat of gloss coat, that can sometimes reverse the process.

This!

I once had this effect with spray sealer, I applied brush on sealer then and it reversed the process indeed.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

This!

I once had this effect with spray sealer, I applied brush on sealer then and it reversed the process indeed.

Same thing happened to me years back. I sprayed matte sealer on a humid day and it frosted the mini. I put the (metal) mini right under a lamp to warm up the sealer and then used brush-on gloss sealer. It helped tremendously. Then I ordered some matte brush-on sealer and it was fine. It's almost always humid where I live, so I learned to check the weather before even thinking about using any kind of spray sealers on a mini. I also shake the tar out of the cans for four full minutes now.

5 people like this

20 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Same thing happened to me years back. I sprayed matte sealer on a humid day and it frosted the mini. I put the (metal) mini right under a lamp to warm up the sealer and then used brush-on gloss sealer. It helped tremendously. Then I ordered some matte brush-on sealer and it was fine. It's almost always humid where I live, so I learned to check the weather before even thinking about using any kind of spray sealers on a mini. I also shake the tar out of the cans for four full minutes now.

^^ this has also been my experience, sadly I wasn't able to reverse it on mine - DON'T WAIT! If you try the method days/weeks later it doesn't work.

3 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

It's almost always humid where I live, so I learned to check the weather before even thinking about using any kind of spray sealers on a mini. I also shake the tar out of the cans for four full minutes now.

I bought a humidity meter from Lowe's (a home improvement store for the non-Usonans) so that I can see when I'm in danger before I get started...

2 people like this

The sealer is Reaper 09107 brush-on sealant.  I store it inverted, and the dropper bottle is nearly full.  If I shake it, won't it be bubbly when it goes on?

I've had a lot of terrible frosting experiences with spray sealants and so have stopped using them entirely for miniatures. I can stand a little frosting on my terrain, but washing out the minis is unacceptable to me.  :-)

You won't get bubbles after you've shaken. You need to shake it to mix the paint thoroughly before you use. 

Shake it up good, let it sit for a bit, then apply like normal. Try it on the base & see if it clears up.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, GodOfCheese said:

The sealer is Reaper 09107 brush-on sealant.  I store it inverted, and the dropper bottle is nearly full.  If I shake it, won't it be bubbly when it goes on?

I use Reaper brush-on sealer almost exclusively. It has a little bit of sediment in it that's only apparent when it isn't mixed up, which is what makes it look a bit matte when applied. Shaking it up thoroughly will make it a little bubbly, yes, but it's necessary to ensure the sealer goes on as intended. You can flick the bottle a few times and let it sit for a minute if bubbles concern you.

What happened is, because you store your bottle upside-down, and didn't shake it before use, all of the sediment settled in the tip of the dropper, so that's what came out when you squeezed the bottle. I wish I could suggest how to fix it, but I've never had this particular issue before. A gloss coat may help; I would suggest testing it on a small section first.

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

4 people like this

Update: I shook the sealant aggressively, then let it sit before applying another coat to part of the mini.  Painting on more sealant seemed to solve the problem-- I suspect that it rehydrates the substance and scatters the sediment. But when that coat dried, the sediment became visible again. 

It's a metal mini. Is there a way to strip the sealant without stripping the paint along with it? 

1 person likes this

You can try rubbing alcohol or Simple Green on the base and see how that goes. Use q-tips.