Pingo

Reaper's old Kitsune, two copies by Pingo

Two copies, primed with Titanium White and a wash of Burnt Umber:

DSC_0151D-kitsune.jpg.afd0f855353032c6da40c883704e9b4b.jpg

This is a Kitsune figure Reaper offers only as part of a set.  I got mine from two copies of 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes (which also includes a werewolf and a weretiger).  She also comes in the set 02900: Beastmen of the Wyld (which also includes a boar-man and an elk-man (American elk or wapiti, not European elk or moose)).

I will confess, I had seen her around in the store and thought her sculpt only okay and kind of flat looking.

But then a couple of gorgeously painted examples changed my mind:

So I got two copies of 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes, since I knew I was going to need lycanthropes for a game soon and there aren't too many females out there.

Just to get a sense of place I sloshed a little drab green, mixed from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, and a dab of Phthalocyanine Green, onto their bases.

DSC_0165.jpg.62524032f1090c6033cec665e681528a.jpg

I decided to paint one up as a silver fox and one as a classic red fox.  Using my standard method of slopping some beginning colors on, I mixed up a neutral grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna plus some white and daubed it on one of the figures (plus some pure white on the tail tip).

DSC_0226-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes.jpg.2ce093af6bd53b9caf5586f457afa0ea.jpg

DSC_0227-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes.jpg.ccc9b1ce942912d72294980b3cc2914a.jpg

I took some of the straight Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna mix -- which is a transparent dark near-black with violet overtones -- and laid it on the silver fox in the standard places.  If you Google silver foxes they are beautiful, almost like Siamese cats, with silver heads and backs and black legs, tail, ears, and face.

DSC_0229-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-silver-fox.jpg.700638368890d46c4198f0a5171f025f.jpg

DSC_0230-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-silver-fox.jpg.5613b7b59b5de346d8ead3d5b6e32510.jpg

I did similar things with the reddish kitsune.  I mixed a dull rusty red from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a dab of Titanium White, and a minuscule amount of Phthalo Green to grey it down just a hair, then I daubed it on the parts of a fox that would be red.  I washed her darker bits with that same Ultramarine Blue-Burnt Sienna near-black, and a light brushing of pure white on her tail tip.

DSC_0259-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-reddish.jpg.297b059e3c9be3fc0b5aed0aff290160.jpg

DSC_0260-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-reddish.jpg.3714e1398935e73ad0910571b10ac051.jpg

Then I took some pure Carbon Black and laid in their eyes, noses, and lips.  It's really hard to see on the silver fox, but there is a difference between it and the "black" on her face.

DSC_0281-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-silver.jpg.77321a2f71a4a6165fb7bfdbe9e5f73c.jpgDSC_0280-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-reddish.jpg.3469142b1ceea81d30b453b4869aa603.jpg

So they are a real mess right now, but there should be some interesting developments as we go along.

• Like 17

I laid some bright green on the bases.  It's mixed from Hansa Yellow Opaque and a touch of Carbon Black (Seriously, it's the weirdest color combination but it actually works).  I lightened it up with increasing amounts of yellow.

This is also when I really began to notice all the tiny, tiny pits in the broccoli bases.  They are microscopic little pits so narrow that paint cannot easily get into them.  They show up as white dots in the photos, the effect of the lights hitting the shiny metal at the bottom of the pits.  They are almost impossible to see with the naked eye, so I had to keep checking with photos and trying to catch the ones I identified.  I spent at least as much time trying to correct them as I did painting the whole rest of the figures and I'm still not done.  Grr. Argh.

DSC_0430.jpg.9636cdbfa4c11d8d9fe2ac599b52109e.jpg

DSC_0429-kitsune.jpg.1144d12233705eb9b91d6042ece3a6a8.jpg

DSC_0449-kitsune.jpg.8be24ec9139a13de7a434989f3eac1be.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg.5dcfa3f2d95149b46eb1b3916d462f57.jpg

I began to paint their garments.  (Looking at them, I am pretty sure they are meant to be soft leather.)  I painted the red fox's clothing a medium blue mixed from Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White.  The silver fox's clothing is pure Red Iron Oxide, and I also painted that on herwristlets (it's a great color for under gold) and arrow fletching.

DSC_0623-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-Blue-on-Red-Fox.jpg.ab236d04e59d89d3fb1184a4992426a5.jpg

DSC_0624-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-Blue-on-Red-Fox.jpg.a3ba707d2e85f5dfdbdf3f63849c5260.jpg

DSC_0623-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-Red-on-Silver-Fox.jpg.7402b09c8d57dfb3c00d58ff0a590394.jpg

DSC_0624-Kitsune-from-03495--DHL-Classics--Lady-Lycanthropes-Red-on-Silver-Fox.jpg.b793addc805993fdc85aaefc6f25aa39.jpg

So many pits remain.  :wacko:

• Like 11

Those broccoli bases are annoying enough that I'm moving to removing the bases entirely from almost all of the minis I'm painting now and sculpting something in epoxy putty. As I understand it, Reaper keeps them because it makes playing straight from the package (or at least with minimal prep and basic painting) simple, and that's a major part of their market.

For future reference, on figures where you intend to keep the bases, gray spray primer works pretty well for getting into the pits. Anything that's left can be handled fairly well with one of the Reaper liners. (Not your usual materials, but there you go.)

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      So I am working on a batch of vampires.

Up until now I have generally painted vampire eyes either like regular eyes, but red

or kind of glowy red-gold.

I felt like I wanted to try some other options.

So I gessoed a piece of bristol board and painted a patch of grey on it (I paint vampire skin grey and white) and added some black blodges to represent eye sockets.

From the centimeter scale, you can see that these are way bigger than mini eyes. That is because I am not a masochist where practice is concerned.

Then I laid in some eye shapes in pale grey (the whites of eyes are pale grey in general, not pure white). You can see a column of them still unplayed-with, third from the left.

I played around with types of preternatural eyes, using a limited palette of Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White, Carbon Black, Red Oxide, Yellow Ochre, Hansa Yellow Opaque, and a very limited amount of Quinacridone Magenta.

Some of the eyes are based on leopard eyes and gorilla eyes.

This way one can test eyes on a large scale before committing to figures.
    • By Pingo
      The GM said we needed a nosferatu, so here we are.

This is Reaper's 02867: Matthias the Twisted, a gnarly rattish vampire.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

(I have to remember that I experimented with a cold blue-grey wash on some vampire figures that avoided all the nice warm undertones.)

I paint vampires with stark white skin, shaded with flat greys mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. This is almost the only time I ever use such a simple mix for greys.

The first layer is a thinned white (blodginess is the underpainting showing through).

Steps in shading:

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• By Pingo
      This is the classic Reaper 02551, Monique Denoir. There are some gorgeously painted examples of her out there.

Some of this post is quoted from an earlier post, since I find that giving information in each thread is useful, even if in the big picture it's redundant.

Monique Denoir is a Werner Klocke scupt. Her face is classical and lovely. She's certainly popular, and there are many beautifully painted versions out there.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, as I've said before, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin.

This is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white (rather than a complex mix of brighter colors). The flatness of tone conveys that something is wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, bust, and hands (I got her right hand wrong, I see in the photos. I missed her right thumb and painted up part of the sword instead. Be assured Werner Klocke's sculpt is much less clumsy than that. I will correct it later.).

The first approximation of shadows are added, mixed from simple Titanium White and Carbon Black.

And some darker and lighter greys. At the moment the shading is very stylized.

• By Pingo
      I'm playing in a World of Darkness campaign and we need a bunch of vampires.

I'm adapting Patrick Keith's 60138: Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain to be a vampire, because not all female vampires hang around graveyards in unlikely and suspicious states of undress.

She's such a pretty and elegant figure! I left off her short sword and staff and filled in the slight dimples where they were meant to go with a little Golden Molding Paste applied with the point of a bamboo skewer. The stuff shrinks when drying, so I heaped it up a little.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. (I seem to be having a little trouble with it crackling just a bit in some areas, though.) It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers (even though, eh, with a vampire you don't necessarily want "warmth".)

I like to paint skin first as something of the undermost layer. After I have the skin more or less smooth and correct I paint the features.

I have been painting up vampires with stark white skin because I don't seem to have the knack to make them look undead if there is even a little flesh tone in their skin. Maybe I should paint them violet or something ...

Anyhow, this is almost the only time I ever mix grey from pure black and white, rather than a complex mix of brighter colors. The flatness of tone conveys something wrong with the individual, and the simplicity of color mix is very easy to shade.

I started with a thin wash of pure Titanium White on her face, neck, bust, and hands.

Then (close ups for a while now) I laid in the first pale shadows. All greys are mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black.

Darker shadows and some lights.

She's rather a mess now, but you can see how the skin shading is beginning to go.

• Who's Online   37 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)