Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaoshead

Painting up some Diggas

7 posts in this topic

Last Sept my son came to me and said, "We should play some Gorkamorka."

"Not going to happen," said I, "because we have nothing except the rules and a few of the models needed.  So unless you are planning to help me build all the terrain needed and buy and build mobs it isn't going to happen."  I pretty much thought that was the end of it.

Without missing a breath he said, "Alright, let's do it."

"Shi*." was all I could get out of my mouth.

For those of you that may have missed that, here is that topic.

After that we needed to start building mobs, here is the build of the diggas.

Gorkamorka is a game by gw from 1997, that's the same year my son was born, the game is older than him by about six months or so.  It is a game of vehicular combat that pits orks against orks in a never ending struggle for dominance of a desert world under the watchful gaze of the ork Gods Gork and Mork.  There are other mobs in the game, thanks to the Digganob expansion, these include muties, rebel grots and diggas.  What's a digga you may ask.  Well, they are humans that think the orks are the greatest thing they have ever layed eyes on.  With that in mind they strive to be just like the orks in every aspect of their lives.

Alright, with some backstory out of the way, let's get on to some painting.

Here are all of the diggas primed black.  This is WAY more than I will ever need for a single mob, in fact it is probably enough for two mobs but having this many gives me good variety for the game.

20170418_133930_zps9om7xgja.jpg

I will be painting these in small-ish batches of 4-8 or so.  I am aiming for just over tabletop quality with these, now that means different things to different people so here is what I mean by that, solid base colors with shading or a wash followed by bringing back the base color.  Sometimes I will give a few pieces a highlight but that is usually limited to characters or center pieces.  That's pretty much what I am aiming for here so nothing fancy.

Here are the first batch, a yoof and five boyz, just random picks out of the pile is how this is going to go.

20170418_134454_zps49hinbak.jpg

Ignore the impetuous yoof with a layer of flesh painted, he forgot how messy it is to paint ork metal....well, at least the way that I paint it.  Here is the first step of the ork metal recipe, tinbitz...well, that is what it use to be called, and still should be, but now it is, umm....warplock bronze.(I had to go look at it because I really had no idea what it was called.)  It is a nice dark chocolate brown metallic color.

20170418_142853_zpsmaf1tqr3.jpg

Next step is a fairly heavy drybrush of some sort of dark metallic paint.  I use to use boltgun metal but I no longer have that so I went with blackened steel.

20170418_151314_zps5i0ajeoo.jpg

20170418_151321_zpsbrihh9yl.jpg

Next was a drybrush of shadowed steel.

20170418_170454_zpsndmhxs8y.jpg

20170418_170505_zpsmj49xymh.jpg

Last step for the metal, for now, is a light drybrush of polished steel.  This is pretty bright for ork metal but will be brought down a little by the wash.  I forgot to take pics of this step before moving on to the skin so these pics also have the first layer of the skin done with rosey skin shadow, I am hoping that in the end this will give them a slight look of too much sun.  The light and natural light were giving me some weird colors, one of these is probably close to how they really look...

20170418_174917_zpsf6kbwzqe.jpg

20170418_174928_zpskrzetmqe.jpg

20170418_174947_zpswxnbkfjq.jpg

That is where I left these for the day, the skin needs another layer before we move along to painting all the clothing and pouches.

Edited by chaoshead
9 people like this

30 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Ooooooh.  This will be epic.

HAHAhahaha!  Thanks, I needed that!  I don't think I can live up to that descriptive phrase but I will continue to paint them none the less.

If this thread is even half as awesome as the terrain building thread, it will be epic!  Great kit bashing on the diggas and the paint is off to a great start!

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Rahz said:

If this thread is even half as awesome as the terrain building thread, it will be epic!  Great kit bashing on the diggas and the paint is off to a great start!

Thanks, glad you liked the terrain build.  The diggas were a fun build too but as is typical of something like this I find it hard to really disguise the original model.  Hopefully once painted up this will not be too noticeable.

1 hour ago, chaoshead said:

HAHAhahaha!  Thanks, I needed that!  I don't think I can live up to that descriptive phrase but I will continue to paint them none the less.

True, the scale is wrong for Epic.   And I don't know if there are any 6mm diggas.

Point taken.

2 people like this

Good start!

Let the madness continue!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By chaoshead
      So, in order to play Gorkamorka we need some mobs.  The first of these that I decided to build was the Diggas.

The Diggas are humans that think the orks are the greatest thing they have seen and they strive to be just like the orks.  This being the case the Diggas trade and fight with and as the orks.  They use ork armor and weapons, ork vehicles are also used since the Diggas have very little in the way of technical skills, either to build or maintain such tech, vehicles or otherwise.  They rely on the orks for almost all of their tech, making the orks seem even more god-like.

First off here are the two Diggas that I have converted so far, a shaman on the left and a Digganob on the right.  There will eventually be more of these but for now this is all I have bits for, more of what I need is on order and should be here soonish.

Next up I wanted to convert the Digga trukk to not be the standard kit right out of the box.

Wheels assembled.

Frame straight out of the box.

The standard kit is a six wheeled vehicle, for this build I will be removing the center set of wheels to make more of a standard four wheeled vehicle.

This is a fairly easy process, using clippers and an x-acto I trimmed all of the support structure from the sides and bottom of the frame.  It is important to note that you should leave any detail that is on the top of the frame in tact as the bed of the trukk rests on all of that tiny detail.

The standard six wheeled kit has two rear axles and driveshafts, I will not need the center axle or the two short drive shafts, I will need to build my own driveshaft to make this work.

I'll use just some plastic rod for the driveshaft and use the ends of one of the original driveshafts.

So, with that set aside to dry I moved on to the bed of the trukk.  This is the standard trukk bed build, here being held together by poster tack.

I am not a big fan of this tiny trukk bed as it will only hold four or five minis, hardly enough for a real mob.

I plan on widening the bed to comfortably hold six, this could easily be pushed to ten with no problem.  I will use some of the original trukk bed bits to do this as well as plasticard.

Simply flipping the sides of the trukk bed to the opposite sides and laying them flat creates a nice flat surface that is very easily glued together.

I used plasticard to fill out the rest of the bed so that it was all roughly the same width.

For the sides I decided to use sides from an ork chariot, leaving the banner poles on to use later.

I used plastic rod to make matching poles in the front of the trukk bed.

I needed a rail all the way around the top to hold a canopy later in the build process.  I used plastic rod and some corner pieces from some of the roll bars from the trukk kit to make this.

Leaving that aside to dry for a bit I moved onto the cockpit of the trukk.  I forgot to take pics of all the bits that SHOULD have been used in this step but I didn't use all of them that is for sure.  I also forgot to take pics of the steps to get to this point but it was pretty straightforward, just followed the directions for this step actually.  I did scavenge a second wind screen out of the bits box but I am not sure it will stay as I am not entirely sure I like it.

The next step is a little bit of detailing of the original kit, mostly the engine and additional cockpit details for the gunner, not used in this build because it is an ork and this is a 'umie vehicle.  Here are all the bits for this step.

And here is what I will be using.

To make this stuff look better.

Next step bits.

Only bits I will use from this step.

I forgot to take pics of that step or me adding bars for the drivers canopy.

The next step is just about the important bits used for boarding and krumping enemy vehicles.  These are all the bits to add boarding planks and a wrecking ball as well as a few bits not used for Gomo and some braggin' decorations.  I will add these to this vehicle but they need to be magnetized as they are not always available.

All the bits not used in this build.

Here is the Digga trukk as it stands now next to a mostly standard build trukk.

This was a surprisingly quick and easy build, I was able to finish the vast majority of this in about five hours.  With just more detailing left on this it will probably take longer to complete it than I have already put into it.

Hope someone finds this useful or entertaining.
    • By chaoshead
      About twenty years or so ago a game came out that I fell in love with, a game that touched my inner Ork and spoke to me in a nice simple language that I could easily understand.

A game of Orks and vehicles, white knuckle speed and vicious combat, mutants and huge explosions all set in an arid desert wasteland.  What's not to love, right!?!?

That game is GORKAMORKA!

Anyway, my son, who is younger than the game by a few months, recently watched a few videos of the game on the mwg youtube channel and decided "Hey Dad, we should play a Gorkamorka campaign."

"We have no terrain or vehicles for the game anymore." I said calmly, trying to hide my interest and excitement thinking this would just make the subject go away because even though I love the game, this immediately raised a red flag of me building a ton of terrain and vehicles while everyone else just got to play in the end.  "We would literally have to build everything we needed.  So unless you are going to help with every single step along the way, its not happening."  I figured that would be the end of it because he is not a big fan of the building process, just the playing process.

There was a VERY brief moment of silence and then, "Okay....what would we have to do?"

We sat down that night with the books, looked at game pics and desert pics on the web, watched some of the videos on youtube from the mwg guys and made a list of scenery that we would need to play the game.

Flash forward about two weeks to two days ago when we find ourselves in one of the local home improvement stores and end up coming home with most of what we need as far as the main supplies go.  Two 2' x 4' x 1/4" sheets of mdf and one 4' x 8' x 1" sheet of insulation foam.

That night we laid out the rough ideas we had for the two cliff faces, this took quite a while actually as I kept going back and forth between depth of protrusion onto the board and playability.  I wanted them to not take up too much room but still have enough space on top to maneuver small and medium vehicles while larger ones may only be able to go in a straight line.  Each cliff also needed a single ramp for vehicle access.

The following day we sketched out the bases for the rest of the larger terrain pieces.  I had to remind him that we didn't want to waste the material so we needed to cram as much as we can onto each board.

Today we were both off so we decided to spend it working on terrain.  First thing we needed to do was to cut out all the bases.

An extra piece of mdf from an old project was also turned into a dune.

Next we laid out all the bases onto the foam and traced all the shapes, making sure we had enough space to get everything on took some rearranging but we managed it.  By a very huge bit of dumb luck when I scored the sheet of foam and broke it in two, so we could get it in the van and home, I made one piece slightly larger than the other.  While at the time I was a little bit upset at myself for not bringing a tape measure, this ended up working perfectly.  I am not sure had it ended up in exactly half that we would have been able to get everything on the two sheets half sheets.

We then cut out all the foam shapes and laid them out onto their respective bases to see what we ended up with.

And the extra dune.

The space shown is a 4' x 4' chunk of the game table, I think we did pretty good on not wasting the mdf.

The bases without foam are not getting a full level, just a small ring around the edge and will represent the tar pits, mine and chem pool.

The dunes were all attached to their bases with liquid nails, weighed down and left to dry for the night.

That's where we are now, not too bad for one day really.

We both had fun and he is already talking about getting a trukk and chopping it up to make it into a lower riding trukk to run over my grots...because I guess that is what I am playing again...probably, I like the little underdogs.
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)