Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyradis

02823: Rasia, w/Spiked Chain - Scarred

10 posts in this topic

My figure either had a defect, or I interpreted this figure's furrowed brow a bit too extremely. Whatever the reason, I decided she needed a hell of a facial scar. 

Note: I really need to set up my lightbox for photography again. 

The skin didn't turn out as smooth as I would have liked it to, but I am generally pleased with the shading so far. Still need to buy better brushes and do some tweaks for dry air painting. It is easier to correct for that on cloaks etc than tiny stuff. Also, I had Tanned Skin from my painting spree in 2011 which is still plenty wet. I got the Tanned Highlight and Shadow to complete the triad and was disappointed in either my medium shade, or the new shadow. They were effectively indistinguishable, and I ended up mixing some more brown into the shadow. 

My goal is to paint her to be either the most scary ally, or a nasty foe, and one who was once pretty and decided that she liked fighting more than protecting her face. Thinking red accents on the armor, and dirty blonde/light brunette hair.

I tried to glue her to a notecard to hold onto her while painting, but she kept falling off. 

Any tips on getting skin layers smoother in the future? Thoughts on adding blood splatters? General critiques? Don't hold back, please. Red pen it! :poke:

Here is a link to the basic figure and some interpretations without the scar. http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02823

Image may contain: 1 person

13 people like this

I like the scar!

2 people like this

20 hours ago, Loth said:

I like the scar!

Agreed, I think it fits the model. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Painting skin is definitely work in progress for me.  The reaper triads are a nice starting point.  For me they don't dark or light enough.   Try adding an off white to the highlight and add it to the nose and upper cheek and maybe right above her right (you left) eye.  I'm no expert though.

Edit: with mine being the one on bottom of that link. ::D:

Edited by Silvervane
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Silvervane said:

Painting skin is definitely work in progress for me.  The reaper triads are a nice starting point.  For me they don't dark or light enough.   Try adding an off white to the highlight and add it to the nose and upper cheek and maybe right above her right (you left) eye.  I'm no expert though.

Edit: with mine being the one on bottom of that link. ::D:

I may give that a shot. It seems pretty variable for which triads are enough, which aren't. I really like the golden skin triad that I just got and used on my angry dorf. The tan shadow and tan skin are nearly identical though. I mixed the tan shadow with some scorched brown (old citadel) for her cheeks which aren't seen from this angle. It worked out alright. Not sure if I should make that more extreme or not. 

Might give the highlighting a little work as you suggest. Could add the right "pop" to it. Little worried about smoothness if I add more layers to the face though.

I'll be waiting a little bit on this figure for my red paints from Miniature Giant, but one item was backordered so it could be a while. I got her trousers and sleeves painted, just a generic beige. I didn't want those to become a focus, so I picked innocuous colors. The armor though will be intense, with red accents. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I painted a bunch of faces a week or two back.  I think they illustrate pretty clearly how you could bring in some much paler highlights on your figure's face and still keep her looking facelike.

(Great Googly Moogly.  I just discovered how to post pictures I've loaded already.)58e6ac99b71d1_2Faces-of-the-Day-Small.jpg.9e53d9d56ad2c32bca9a1731c3e36353.jpg

(The only caveat is I'm not really a smooth blender)

Edited by Pingo
5 people like this

I think the scar looks cool!

For her skin, one little trick you can use since you are painting her caucasian, you can add a touch of a dark blue to your shade color for the deepest shadows. Just a little, you don't want it to look really blue, just give it that little hint. For Mediterranean skin you would use a touch of olive green.

I do agree with Silvervane on adding a little bit of offwhite to your highlight color and highlighting just the highest parts of her face - tip of nose, forehead, top of cheekbones, and I would usually say chin but not with this mini since she is looking down more. If you water your paints down to make a gaze, this will help with your blending.

I love Pingo's style of painting! Even though she doesn't go for the smooth blends, you can definitely see in her examples how a brighter highlight can make features pop!

I love what you have done with her face so far. The eyes are great, the scar gives her a story, that cocky eyebrow...really nice!

To hold her, do you have sticky tack or can get some? I stick mine to Tropicana lids with sticky tack. The lids fit nice in my hand, they are broad enough to not tip over when I put the mini down, and the mini is easy to remove from the sticky tack when finished. Some people stick theirs to paint pots, or old medicine bottles filled with sand so they aren't top heavy.

Can't wait to see how you finish this up. You're off to a great start and her face is beautiful, scars and all!

3 people like this

Pochi, 

I don't have sticky tack, but that's a great idea! The hardware/art/garden store probably carries that. A few on my figures are sticking alright with elmer's glue to notecards, but many are not, and it is getting quite annoying. 

My new lightbulb is helping a bit; my eyes are aching from the brightness but not boiling anymore. I'll try to get some more highlights on there. Going to try for smooth as much as I can, but she isn't the smoothest in general. She's somewhere between Mediterranean and Caucasian, so the greenish might be a bit better for the goal. 

Certainly trying to give her some personality - I'm glad it is showing! 

2 people like this

Do you use a magnifying lamp? If your eyes are giving you trouble, you might check one out. I got mine at a craft store. Inexpensive, has the magnifier to look through plus it has its own light.

You can get sticky tack/blue tack/poster tack I think pretty much anywhere. But yeah it helps to give yourself a "handle" both so you don't rub paint off the mini or accidentally transfer paint from your hand to the mini picking it up. (Who does that?)

1 person likes this

I have once or twice >.> Pretty much only when I am priming though and going to town with a crummy brush. I definitely like having a handle, so I'll need to get something better for this figure. The glue and notecard works on only ~1/2 the figures I try. 

I don't use a magnifying lamp, and my vision is pretty darn good on these. Trouble is in application, I think. Her eyes are alright; fitting... but I could still improve (granted, I am a nitpicker and there is *always* improvement to be done). I have a magnifying glass on my desk to double check work, but I hate working under it. I find it extremely disorienting. Somewhere or another I have a jeweler's magnifying visor, and I may give that a shot. 

1 person likes this