Saul

77110: Deathsleet

11 posts in this topic

I do not think this is ruined..

The scales and the belly look very good.

I like the green.

The only thing that could use a little more is the wings, they look fine as is, but maybe a little brown wash could enhance them.

Overall I'd say a pretty good job.

As for basing, in this case it would be as simple as, apply PVA to the base, dip in some green flock and let dry, then spray a little matt sealer on it.

7 people like this

I'm with the multi-colored wolf on this one.  I think he looks pretty darn good. The scales in particular look really good.

I'll confess that I have yet to do a dragon, but I do find the wings to be intimidating as they are much less intuitive to me in terms of how they should be painted.  But you really did a great job on the scales!

3 people like this

Keep ruining them if they turn out this nice. The scales and rocks have nice texture picked out on them. 

2 people like this

He looks great. Though, I should warn you that the Bones Deathsleets have a tendency to lean forward. Yours might end up looking like an offensive lineman with a hand on the ground. One fix is to put him on a larger base and anchor the tail; either by attaching the tail directly to the base for a more upright posture, or by anchoring it to a rock or tree to maintain the current hunch.

1 person likes this

thanks guys.  i'm probably too hard on it.  i'm kinda with you on the wings, but the wings were far and away the worst part of painting this thing, and there are probably 7 layers on them already: 3 or 4 to get rid of brush strokes, and the rest to correct a tragic miscalculation with a green wash that somehow made 2 very different colors look identical.  to make matters far worse, i assembled the whole model before i did anything, so every angle i came at the wings with a brush felt like a bad one. i painted half of this thing with the model in my lap instead of on my desk.  it may have sounded like hyperbole, but EVERY mistake was made.  

why a brown wash, though?  do the wings look too shiny?  too clean?

20170408_164336.jpg

2 people like this

Regarding wash on wings: I think the wings, though cleanly done, still look a bit like blank canvases. A little glazing or washing would add some feature/texture. Perhaps trace some very thin veins through them, then wash over them?

Very nice scale work. Scales, feathers, and larger blank surfaces are all very hard in my opinion, you've done very well.  

2 people like this

I hope to be able to ruin models as well as you do some day!

I agree with the wings being a blank canvas right now. There's room for some detailing. I'd watch some YouTube paints of dragons and see if anything speaks to you. 

1 person likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 6:00 AM, Xherman1964 said:

I do not think this is ruined..

The scales and the belly look very good.

I like the green.

The only thing that could use a little more is the wings, they look fine as is, but maybe a little brown wash could enhance them.

Overall I'd say a pretty good job.

As for basing, in this case it would be as simple as, apply PVA to the base, dip in some green flock and let dry, then spray a little matt sealer on it.

I'm inclined to agree with what my colorful friend has said.

Keep up the good work!

1 person likes this

I am with Knightwing on this. It looks decent the way it is but I am screaming in my head that this just needs a simple greenish/black wash and you will magically see it come to life. It would cover up the two tone fairly well. Glazing would be nice to, but sometimes a bit advanced for some people or time consuming for the impatient.

1 person likes this

It looks amazing. I think some people like the wings to look membranous and distinct, but I like it this way too.

1 person likes this