Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChristopherGeorge

Bones in a car on a hot day

15 posts in this topic

Hi forum,

is it safe to leave my miniatures in a car during a hot day? For the record i'm in Australia and it can get pretty damned hot here.  Is this a factor? or am I overthinking this?

Cheers,

Chris

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't, particularly if they had teeny ankles, spears, swords, or any outlying bits. The PVC does soften in the heat. They likely wouldn't MELT, but you might find that gravity has bent some bits in odd directions when you came back.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
6 people like this

I envision a circumstance where I leave a dragon lying on his side in the passenger seat... and a couple hours of Sydney summer later, both wings and all of his teeth are pointed due south, if you know what I mean. It's my understanding that you guys get summers similar to Texas, and I have baked cookies on my dashboard, just to see if I could.

4 people like this

hah.. nothing like dashboard cookies... 

But yeah. we're in autumn right now, but I just didn't want to get back to the car and all the swords have bent in on themselves..  Thought i should check.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Chris

1 person likes this

Bones do have a certain material memory.

You can use the hot water/cold water trick to unbend stuff.

I leave my Bones in the car on hot days all the time!  It gives the kids something to do while I'm working, shopping, etc.!

I'm just kidding guys!  Don't report me!  I would never leave my Bones in the car like that! :B):

6 people like this

The models will be fine, but may get soft and become bent. A little more heat, like boiling water, will straighten them back out.

4 people like this

I left my bones in a car during a hot date once. She was not impressed, so things didnt go so well. Then again if she is not a fan of Reaper she is not the woman for me....

.... Oh you said hot DAY!!!!.......

uhhhhh never mind :blink: 

AJ 

9 people like this

I'm beginning to think that rather than shock cooling Bones figures after repositioning with hot water, there might be value to annealing instead, to reduce the internal stresses that could cause the repositioning to revert.

It would be kind of a pain to set up the experiments, though, since you would need to hold the floppy minis in position while they cooled, then check positions over time.

"Intern! Oh, intern! I have a job for you."

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'm beginning to think that rather than shock cooling Bones figures after repositioning with hot water, there might be value to annealing instead, to reduce the internal stresses that could cause the repositioning to revert.

It would be kind of a pain to set up the experiments, though, since you would need to hold the floppy minis in position while they cooled, then check positions over time.

That's essentially what I've been doing. I hold the mini in shape until I think it's fully cooled.

3 people like this

On 4/20/2017 at 3:05 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

"Intern! Oh, intern! I have a job for you."

Having worked and studied in plastics processing, I can tell you that annealing *is* required in some materials. Particularly structural plastics (think PVC siding and window frames), where long sections need to slowly cool over several days to relieve as much internal stress as possible.

It's keeping the pieces straight as they cool down that's the tricky part.

4 people like this

On 4/20/2017 at 1:05 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

On 4/20/2017 at 2:54 PM, etherial said:

That's essentially what I've been doing. I hold the mini in shape until I think it's fully cooled.

To be honest, the first time i tried repositioning a bones which was to realign some holes for a dragons legs,  i was so nervous about the cold water and screwing it up that i dipped the pieces in hot water,  put on gloves,  and squeezed the 2 pieces together and held it there until it was cool... it works it just takes time to cool... 

3 people like this

When I heat up bent Bones in water they more or less "poing" into their regular molded shape, albeit a little soft and wibbly.

I wonder if one could just remove the pot from heat and let it sit until cold, for annealing.  The Bones are heavier than water, but their buoyancy sort of helps hold the bits up in place. 

2 people like this

On 4/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, amuller33 said:

I left my bones in a car during a hot date once. She was not impressed, so things didnt go so well.

Well, there's your problem. Obviously you should have brought them to the date.

6 people like this